Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got the 700R4 rebuilt on my 91 Vette. I also got a shift kit, blue clutches, and a 2025 Stall Converter installed. Well problem is that it doesn't have any balls at all. It shift fine if you drive slow but when you gun it it does not respond. The mechanic is stubborn that it is the motor but it can't be because the Motor sounds very strong and it has a fresh rebuild. I just put the Plugs, Wires and Fuel Filter yet still no difference. And the motor does not miss fire nothing. I think it's the tranny. Any opinions on what it could be or maybe some previous experiences would be alot of help.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thing I forgot to note is that it doesn't shift into overdrive on the expressway. I will be at like 65mph and the RPM's will be at like 4-5000... They will be sky high till even the up shift light comes on.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The converter is Brand New. But I don't know if you remember when I told you all that I have a back up Transmission.... Well I first put that one on with the converter but that tranny was messed up too. So I just got the original rebuilt and used the same converter Cause the mechanic said we didn't have to return it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK well I took it too several different shops like Ammco, A1 and Etc. and they told me it was the clutches Definetly the Tranny. So I take the Vette back to the person that supposably rebuilt and he keeps telling that it is MY MOTOR (something wrong with my motor). OK well he trys to show me that the tranny does have balls and that it can burn the tires but instead the idiot F**ked the Tranny up completely now it doesn't shift at all. In a way that was good. OK well my question is could something be wrong with my motor? Anything at all? I changed the plugs, wires and fuel filter just the other day too and no difference at all.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Transmission problem

Just curious if you fixed the tranny problem.There is a good way to determine the question if its the tranny or the engine.A torque converter stall test.Hold the brake and with the car in gear push the throttle to the floor and read the engine rpm.1400 to 1800 rpm would probably mean the engine is ok.If low rpm is a question check that the throttle is going to the full fuel position.Have some one hold throttle down and see if the throttle body is in wide open position.Do this with engine off.Caution....when doing the stall test only do for a few seconds,and then let the trans cool before tempting to do it again.you can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still the problem exists. I still think it is the transmission because on the expressway it doesnt shift into overdrive ..,. the rpms just stay sky high. By any crazy chance can any beside the tranny cause this? Or what else should I check?

·
Registered
440 Posts
trans prob

If the transmission is not shifting into overdrive then there is two things to check. 1.First determine that the throttle is going wide open.Have someone push the throttle pedal to the floor and see if the throttle is wide open.Next check that the TV cable is not adjusted too tight.Most times the basic adjustment is that when the throttle is wide open the TV cable is all the way out. I assumed you have checked the transmission oil level to make sure the fluid level is full.(with transmission at operating temperature engine running and in park). The transmission shifts are due to 2 factors.1. the tv cable,or tv pressure,and 2.governor pressure. Make these checks,and let me know.We can get this tranny fixed !

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will Try/Check those things tomarrow, but the tranny mechanic keeps insisting that it is either the fuel pump(low pressure), timing is off. I will make sure though first thing tomarrow on the WOT. Thanks a whole lot William C Mc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts