Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1992 corvette around seven months ago. The reason I bought this car is because it only has 36,000 original miles and the body and interior look like its brand new. I drove the car about a week and one day while driving I stopped at a light and when iI began to take off it was very difficult to get into gear. It has a 6 speed manual transmission and I thought it was a problem with the clutch. I really wasn't sure what the problem was to be honest.. I am a UPS delivery driver for a living..not a mechanic so I don't know alot about engines and transmissions..just the basics. This is also the first corvette I have ever owned. So I had the car towed on a flat bed tow truck to the local Chevrolet dealership and was told that the transmission was no good and had to be replaced. They told me that they would have to order a rebuilt transmission and that 1992 transmission was hard to find because it was over 25 yrs old. They said the rebuilt was just like brand new and comes with 1 yr. warranty. It took 5 months for them to get the transmission delivered and when I call to see if it was ready I was told they were still waiting on some gaskets to install it. Then they told me that it was installed but trouble shifting into reverse so they were pulling it out to see what the problem was. Now they are telling me that they installed it again but now it does not have second gear so they are pulling it out for the third time to try to figure out what the problem is? They told me my bill was already over $6,000 !!! I think they are trying to screw me. If this new rebuilt transmission already has this many problems then I probably should tell them I don't want it and reorder a different transmission right? The problem would be with the transmission or the mechanic installing it...not the actual car itself right? Could anyone give me some advice as to what I should do next?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts