Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 corvette coup. on the highway it runs about 202-210 around town it gets up to around 225-230. I do live in LV Nevada where the outside temp is over 105. I have been told that these cars do run hot like this and it is normal. The electric gage still says "cool". Is this normal? Or am i misinformed. Both fans do run as they should.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I spent about 45 minutes observing the coolant temperature operation range on my stock (never modified) 95 LT1 with 50,000 miles. I started the engine and let the temp rise. All of the info is while at idle and the outside temp 80*. Idle temp reached 228* before both fans came on and never saw the temp past 230* via digital guage. Analog guage was in the hash marks and showed approx. 250* from guessing, 260* being the highest number which is miss leading. The temp dropped to 217* and both fans cut off. With the A/C on the temps sat around 201-205* and never got lower or higher. This I consider normal at idle and when driving at about 55 mph the digital temp guage stays around 185-190* range.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Normal for an LT1 C4.
:agree:

Without a/c running the primary fan will come on at around 228* and the secondary around 236*. With a/c running both come on regardless of temperature.

The analog gauge is not linear, so the half-way mark is not half way between the low reading (100*) and the high (260*).

"COOL" on the electronic gauge is short for coolant, it does not mean the engine is running cool.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The digital gauge readout come from the CTS and the analog gauge readout comes from a sender in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
308 Posts
my 96 does the same,

the digital will read 185, the analog will be at the third dash , with the 185 being the second. and as the digital increase the analog will go higher,

is that normal or the heads are running hot than they should be. ???

and how to get them read close to each other????

·
Registered
376 Posts
my 96 does the same,

the digital will read 185, the analog will be at the third dash , with the 185 being the second. and as the digital increase the analog will go higher,

is that normal or the heads are running hot than they should be. ???

and how to get them read close to each other????
The analog gauge isn't linear, the midpoint on the gauge (half way between 100* and 260*) isn't 180*, it's actually closer to the engine's "optimum" operating temperature (as determined by GM), which is somewhere around 200-210.

·
Registered
308 Posts
right,,

if the midpoint is somewhere between 200-210, that what i mean, if the gauge is there in my car the digital will read 180-185. ??

you give me nice idea, i will test the sensor, i will put it in a hot liquid to test the temp, by measureing the liq temp by another tool (thermometer) and checking the gauge reading,. i will confirm then if my gaguge is ok, the sensor as well. ...

but my concirn is why the are not matching, from the days when it was stock they where close to each other. but not any more as the engine is modified.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The digital readout and the analog gauge take their readings from two different sensors. I think the digital sensor is in one of the heads and the analog near the radiator. (I might be wrong on the actual locations but they are definitely not reading from the same sensor).

·
Registered
308 Posts
you are right, they are two different loations and different sensors.

the digital is in the water pump, the analog in the passenger side head.

thats why i refered to the heads beaing hot when my gauge is too hot.

replacing the coolant pipe behind the heads could help little bit, some times it get cloged, because it is verey small diameter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts