Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to get in my '94 for a lunch break and it won't start, turn-over, nothing. Any common issues? The battery has been fine, no slow starts. Everything works in the car, radio, etc, just won't turn over at all.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, now I think its a starter. Tried again to crank it and it fired off just fine. Cut it off...wouldn't crank back. Tried a bit later and it cranked no problem. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That sounds like the starter to me. Next time you go to start it and have nothing, hold the key in the on position and have somebody whack the starter with a hammer. If it starts, that's the problem. Just an idea. Good luck.

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
Might also be your VATS. Just turn your ignition key to the "On" position (but don't try to start the car) and see if your "SECURITY" light on your dash continues to blink. If it blinks then you have a problem with your VATS, if the security light goes off/doesn't blink, then i'd tend to agree that it could be the starter. Though I'd first check to see if you got any trouble codes that came up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd kinda lean toward Vats, specifically the key or ignition cylinder being worn. Typically with a starter you would either hear a click click when trying to start, ~or~ a whining or whirring sound. Meaning that either the starter motor itself or the solenoid is bad.

That said, I agree that it could be either.

~wd-40:buhbye:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Have you got a spare key? If so try that the next time it won't start. The metal contacts on the side of the resistor built into the key sometimes get worn down and don't work so well.

Beating the starter like Billy said will work very well for checking it out but I'd check the key first.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, hadn't thought about that. I think I'll carry the spare key in my wallet going forward and try that if it happens again. I've been driving it now for over a week and not one issue so I'm thinking maybe it is something like that. Thanks for the advice...we'll see!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another quick question about the VATS system...say the key is the issue...when I turn it to on the security light doesn't stop blinking...what would be the issue? I'll be paying attention to this if the issue happens again and I'm just wondering what exactly that will be a sign of? I'll, of course, try the other key. If that works I'll suspect that the key I'm using that is giving the issue is the problem. Or, could it still be in the switch? I'm just not familiar with how the VATS system works.

·
3,813 Posts
Another quick question about the VATS system...say the key is the issue...when I turn it to on the security light doesn't stop blinking...what would be the issue? I'll be paying attention to this if the issue happens again and I'm just wondering what exactly that will be a sign of? I'll, of course, try the other key. If that works I'll suspect that the key I'm using that is giving the issue is the problem. Or, could it still be in the switch? I'm just not familiar with how the VATS system works.

If you try both keys and you continue to get the blinking security light, then more than likely there is a problem with the ignition switch. Basically, the contacts within the ignition switch can get worn over time, eventually not allowing the computer to properly read the chip embedded in your key. If the computer can't read the key chip, you'll get a no start/no crank condition.

if your primary key continues to cause problems, but your spare key never has any issues, i'm willing to bet that your primary key has worn out contacts on the chip itself. Again, this would result in the ignition switch not being able to make full contact with the chip, and ultimately causing the computer to not "see" your key.

Sometimes it can be a simple matter of dirty metal contacts too. Clean the metal contacts on the keys, and also get a Q-tip and clean inside the ignition switch where the chip normally would make contact with the ignition switch.

If both keys don't work, and you've cleaned the contacts on the keys and in the ignition switch, and you still get the blinking security light, then there's probably a 99% chance that it's a problem with the ignition switch. If that's the case, you can either A) replace the ignition switch, or B) bypass your VATS. I've done BOTH A & B because of VATS issues at one time or another, so i know what i'm talking about. :laughing: I've also done "C"- Replaced a bad ECM which was causing a blinking security light/no start condition (there's that 1% chance :laughing:).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the detailed description! One more question...I remember when I had the issue that the radio still played with the key in...if the key was bad or the ignigion switch was bad, VATS wise, would the radio still play? Obvioulsy the blinking security light is the real answer to the problem, I just didn't know to look for this at the time.

·
3,813 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description! One more question...I remember when I had the issue that the radio still played with the key in...if the key was bad or the ignigion switch was bad, VATS wise, would the radio still play? Obvioulsy the blinking security light is the real answer to the problem, I just didn't know to look for this at the time.
The radio and all other electronics will work, VATS will just disable the starter and disable fuel supply if it doesn't read the correct key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts