Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few months now, a corvette dealer in my area has been working on my car to try and find out why the traction control light won't stay on one way or the other. The traction control panel in the dash has been replaced (of course with a used one since you can't buy a new one anymore).......they keep saying it is bad wiring but they have fixed it and fixed it and fixed it and it goes back to what it was doing before after they say it is fixed. They don't seem to think it is the EBCM module. So we are due to take it back again today. The car is gorgeous (black inside and out) and has been garage kept. New run-flat tires, new battery, everything on it fixed but that light. I have been trying to decide whether to sell it or not but that option is out until I can get that light fixed. Any ideas I can go over with them when we take it back today? Many thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is back in the shop right now, this time under the guidance of the shop foreman. I will try this when I get it back if it happens again. They say they have run all of the codes and they think it is still in the wiring somewhere although they have worked on the wiring several times so far.....Thank you for taking your time to help me.....I just dropped it off at the corvette shop again this evening.....

· Registered
181 Posts
Fist of all, I can't personally evaluate the situation , so any slanderous words are uninformed and are only meant to help, not to just light some working guy up. But I am influenced by the words of a professional mechanic , nick named "rotten" , who , while cracking a beer in the kitchen of a party at a friends home , by way of shop talk, offers the memorable phrase, "some people are just begging to get ripped off". We never got along.

I would seek another shop. With that track record, it is clear they have no understanding of the problem, rendering repair without dumb luck impossible . If possible , only seek a well regarded dedicated corvette shop. Your dealership might have never worked on a C5 before, they are pretty old by now. also make sure they actually stock and sell corvettes, as it requires two factory trained corvette mechanics on staff before a dealer can even sell the line. ( I read this online) which kind of makes your now the manager is getting involved situation somewhat irrelevant, unless he is the trained expert.

that shop manager guidance story sounds like a snow job, doesn't he work there all the time anyway, or was he just too important to bother with a repeated failed repair his shop was turning out as completed, when they were actually guessing? Unless the guy has discovered some new electrical skills since you were last in, I'd say you are bankrolling somebody's earn while you learn situation, instead of buying knowledgeable, effective repair service.

I have read of people getting the regional GM service manager involved , who sometimes even fly in techs from the factory, when dealerships fail at repairs, but I really don't know how Gm feels about old cars and that level of service. I certainly would try to involve someone above the service manger you are stuck with, if for no other reason that to let GM management know how they are failing to effect repairs and abusing both your time, money, and trust in Gm service. I only suggest this because of the numerous failed repairs, calling in management after one or two mistakes, especially on an old car, would be a dick move.

perhaps a corvette club in your area can recommend a good electrical guy. I don't know the available resources in your area, but typically you call at least three high skill car places, like custom builders , restorers , places that don't have low skilled people running around doing the simple stuff, and ask for a couple of recommendations for your type of repair work. Once you have some lists of possibilities, you select from the ones who are mentioned on multiple lists, and go from there.

In my area, I know of a nice shop that is dedicated to electrical repairs only, since it is often a hard to find skill .

when I was testing local garages before dropping a major repair on them , back when I first got my C5, one guy actually bragged that their shop's electrical guy used to be an electrician in construction. As if a guy who failed at his previous job and would now be on my car was a good thing. Needless to say, the minor repair was a struggle for them, but I eventually found a dedicated corvette shop who fixed my electrical issue and the more expensive repair.

good luck. perhaps someone on this site can help. I once received, from a web post, personal help from a retired electrical engineer who was into corvettes and helping the less electrically skilled , but he expired.

· Premium Member
1,404 Posts
A guy in our group has a C5 Z06 he bought used and was having traction control issues. Light would come on then go off. I think he would loose traction control all together but I’m not 100% sure. He took it to the shop I use. They found it was a sensor in the steering column that had gone bad. That was last spring and the car has been good sense then. Not sure if this relates to your issue just thought I’d throw it out there. Good luck.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for what you wrote and I agree 100%. We have been using this corvette dealer (which also does repairs) for years and always before, they fixed our problems immediately and did well. Their showroom floor is of course loaded with brand new corvettes. One guy who worked there and talked to us said, "well, why not trade it in on a new one?" meaning there. I told him my husband is a big guy and has trouble getting in and out of one and I would never buy a new one as much as they cost plus I love my corvette but I don't need another one. A lot of times, that is their game....to not be able to fix it so you will trade it in but those who know us, know we have no intention of doing that.

It is a 98', always garage kept and has not even 58,000 miles on it. I never drive it much though so I am sure that hurt it too. I did have another local car repair place diagnose the problem not long ago when my husband's truck was there getting some repairs. They told me it was the traction control switch panel. Since you can't get a new one now, we ordered a used one and now I am wondering if it also is no good. I keep mentioning this to my repair place where the corvette is but not sure if they have really checked it. I have only paid once for this traction light problem and I have a year's warranty on it so taking it back time and again is on their dime. Our problem is, it doesn't get fixed and it is the closest corvette repair place next to where we live in Texas. I would sell it but I am sure I couldn't until I get that light stopped from coming on and off. My husband wants them to honor the warranty and figure out what is wrong with it. If they can't fix it, they can give us a refund. It is such a beautiful car.

I, too, have read that a steering wheel sensor could be the problem and I have mentioned it to them but no luck so far. They swear they have ran all of the codes and it seems to be in the electrical system. The guy who originally owned this dealership, sold it and then bought it back recently and I don't like it as well any more. It is a cat and mouse game but we have 2 other vehicles so we can wait it out until they either honor their warranty and fix it (although it was never fixed in the first place) or give us a refund which we haven't asked for yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts