Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"I Didn't check ZO6 prices"

Thought I'd check what all the hoopla is about on the ZO6, and that it's "the car to get that will hold it's value of the C5s", it's collectibility, desireability and all the talk-up on them. Personally, I wouldn't be able to stand an FRC - gotta have a removable top / convertable 'vette or just doesn't seem like a Corvette to me and the girls I ask say they prefer a convertable or removable top too, (not only to be driven in, but to buy so there's a shoot down of ZO6s by the females as buyers). As an owner and typical guy, gotta make the ladies happy / smile too...so no FRC's for me).

The 3 years 'newer' / higher HP 2001 ZO6 is a surprisingly low value compared to the '98 base coupe at only $25 bucks more -16,8025, and the 5 years newer 2004 ZO6 is just $2925 over the $16,800 1998 base coupe (all cars compared at 81K - same as what's on my '98 right now to be fair on same mileage in the comparison), no Commemorative Edition, magnetic brake options albeit I did add an extra top on the base 2004 coupe or it would have been much lower value than the base 1998, so no high cost options added to a ZO6 on the '01 or '04 as that wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Sorry to harp on this 1998 'vette value thing, but just happy to know the value of my car has gone up more than $3K from when I bought it. Not everything else goes so well for me, so it's nice to have something to be happy about.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
How long have you owned it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Owned it three years this coming August. Only put about 800 miles on it since I bought it. Have three other vehicles so it only gets driven two months out of the summer months. Mostly I drive my Lincoln Town Cars or my Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Hemi 4X4. That has almost 400 HP from the factory. Was selling the 'vette only 'cause it's my sixth Corvette, and I owned two Porches before that so kinda been there done that with sports cars and have more fun driving my truck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Love my 98 convertible. I think that the 97-early 2000, are easier mechanically to work on. ABS controller is back by the rear axle, and not cluttering up the engine compartment. Fuel pump access is a breeze. And so far, my electronics are just fine. I do have to change the Harmonic Balancer this winter though. 87K and pretty solid...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love my 98 convertible. I think that the 97-early 2000, are easier mechanically to work on. ABS controller is back by the rear axle, and not cluttering up the engine compartment. Fuel pump access is a breeze. And so far, my electronics are just fine. I do have to change the Harmonic Balancer this winter though. 87K and pretty solid...:thumbsup:
Having already tested the 1997 and Corvettes usually being one of the first cars Motor Trens checks out explains pretty well hy the honors when to the 1998 ithout much discussion on the competition. No other Corvette even mentioned since then in the running for that award. Won a few other magazine awards as well that year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1998 won Motor Trend Car Of The Year easily in 1998 also setting it apart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ua-wUK033M
Having already tested the 1997 (and Corvettes usually are one of the first cars Motor Trend tests), explains pretty well in the descriptions in the video why the honors went to the1998 ithout much debate. No other Corvette has even been mentioned since then in the running for that award. It won a few other awards as well that year.
1998 is THE unique car of the C5 line years value-wise. Any other year after this award winning design year is just built on this great car design and whatever changes made are just window dressing changes. Nothing of note changed through 2004 enough to get MTs attention in a good way.

Calling something a Commemorative, a Limited Edition, a Grand Sport, Pace Car, Z06, or what have you, doesn't make something collectible or go up in value if nothing else dramatic changes like say adding 100 more HP, a bunch of interior creature comforts etc., an amazing performance package and REALLY LIMITING how many are produced (like my 1 of 16 1989 Porche 944-S2s on the planet that were only sent to the US, that I owned 1 of... and still kick myself for selling it. I mean 1 of 16 in the world...think about that. Now that's beyond limited production, but there are still cars close to that low in production today. Everything through current 2018 Corvettes must not have impressed anyone in the Corvette or Super Car world either.
Got to be some reason NADA has 1998 year so high (and going higher), over all the other years and untill we 1998 owners wise up and quit giving ours away at stupidly low prices (like I almost did), no one will catch on to their value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
87K for a '98 is just broken in for an LS1 mate! Exactly 81029 on mine (was 81k on the dot) before I almost had it 'stolen' (for $12,250), then the guy (who showed up in a 2017 'vette claiming to own 6 vettes), called 20 minutes later to say "I'm gonna hold off, 'cause my daughter says there's two other 'vettes she wants me to look at" (after shaking my hand saying "we have a deal, get all
the stuff that goes with it and I'll be back in about 30 minutes to get bring someone to help me get it home and bring your cash" No one keeps their word anymore. 70 year old ex military, so called church-going member of his parish church one block from my house, self desctibed honest person...Yeah right. Church of lying old bastards maybe
...Did me a favor anyeay. I got online and discovered the price differences across the C5 line. Also, I already knew there are ZERO C5 Corvettes in ALL N.M and nearby states, anywhere near my price and condition I was asking, so the guy was just full of shite. Karma dictates he should total that damned 2017 IMO. Or get a stroke and never be able to drive anything. I say that because I called him another "time waster" and he replied I didn't waste your time, "I don't know why everyone has to get so mad"...so right there I knew he's screwed with other people. I said it's not even the 45 minutes of time that yes you wasted, it's that you said you are a man of your word and you obvuously aren't. He just said I don't need this and hung up on me. A**hole..

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
Live and learn

·
Registered
997 Posts
I was selling the 85,90 & 78. I drove them into work regularry.Sold all 3 there.:D:D:D Then I bought a Truck.A few guys want to buy the truck,but Im not selling till after next winter.
96 Furd XLT _ THE GOOD 5.0 AUTOMATIC,SHIFT ON THE FLY.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
its valuable until the EBCM breaks as there are no replacements available.
You either don't own a 1998, own one and are clueless as to how to problem solve, or are simply a troll. ANYONE with at least half a brain can solve ANY problem. Just have to use at least that half brain...
Just like at the pathetic so called forum (well I'll just use initials) CF, most people there are just plain STOOPID. Yes I can spell stupid.... that was for emphasis.
I'm a troubleshooter extraordinaire if I do say so myself, as there has been no problem I've ever encountered that I could not find a solution for. I've been a computer programmer, technician, licensed journeyman electrician, automotive electrician , telecommunications tech, and more since the days Bill Gates lived a few blocks from me in a MOTEL in Albuquerque. So I've learned a great deal over the years about electronics and troubleshooting in general. That and I have an IQ of 145 (and troubleshooting is just a forte).
For example, NO ONE , I REPEAT NO ONE at that forum knew (until I informed them), where the mileage is stored in a C5. I even laid out a detailed legal means of moving your car's EPROM to any other C5 IPC and keep your actual mileage in your own car, remain legal and save hundreds in the event your IPC screws up. Yes it's kept n the IPC. I removed all my instructonal nfo from that troll infested full of ingrates dump and they now have no way to do the many things I provided answers and instructions for. I'll wait and see how bad the trolling is here and whether their are more adults here than the 'other place'

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was selling the 85,90 & 78. I drove them into work regularry.Sold all 3 there.:D:D:D Then I bought a Truck.A few guys want to buy the truck,but Im not selling till after next winter.
96 Furd XLT _ THE GOOD 5.0 AUTOMATIC,SHIFT ON THE FLY.
Then walking or hitch-hiking after that huh...Nice move...sell all your vehicles. Okey Dokey.

Before I forget, what does ANY of what you said have to do with C5s and my thread in particular??? Nothings changed, '99-04 Corvettes are not wanted at dealerships as they can't giive them away, (ys I've called and inquired and they say either we only take '97-'98s in trade and may buy some dependng how clean,but we don't deal in 99-2004's as we've had to wholesale them, or others we can't give them away and so end up trading with other dealerships for trucks at a loss we hope to make up on the truck etc. Sorry guys, but your '99-04s are dying a pretty quick death in value but they are very inteested in the 1997 and of course the Motor Trend Car of The Year 1998 Corvette. Call some high end (BMW, VOLVO, LINCOLN, PORSCHE), dealerships and even common car deales Mazda etc., and find out yourself

I'm enjoyng this for all the put downs from others of my "old" '98 as the new models came out and they were so much better than my '98. Payback fom common sense buying, (yes I searched 3 years SPECIFICALLY for a 1998 that I wanted with wat I wanted on / in it), and this is my sixth Corvette overall. I even owned a one of 16 only in the world Porsche 944 S2s because I knew it can only go up value. Most later models of new designs don't hold their value versus a model that's a radcal new design and award winning. The following years are just putting on a lttle lipstick and not much more. Again common sense. All other post '98 upgrades are just wndow dressing of zero value. I had a huge laugh when Matt Farah compared his "I'll never sell it" 1998 against the 2011 Grand Sport, and at a few seconds into the "adult driver" Grand Sport test dribve of the supposedly super suspension and drive car, it slams pavement bottoming out the undercarriage and you can hear it clear as hell. Slams a huge scrape just coming into a mild curve. Grand Sport my a** Grand POS maybe.

·
Registered
997 Posts
"Then walking or hitch-hiking after that huh...Nice move...sell all your vehicles. Okey Dokey."

Apparently you can not read & your comprehension is way off.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Verts are nice but the 03Z06 50TH Anniversary with badges is going to be a contender for collectors in the future The 04 is also gunna get snapped up.. I like a retro ol'skool muscle car look with a rear deck like the 69 ..
But as with all corvettes its what you like.
Never cared what girls think they create too much debt and always want to work on the house....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"Then walking or hitch-hiking after that huh...Nice move...sell all your vehicles. Okey Dokey."

Apparently you can not read & your comprehension is way off.
My reading and comprehension skill sets are perfectly fine. If I were you, I wouldn't be so quick to judge someone else's reading and comprehension skillsets while composing and publishing a reply using "can not" as the equivalent of cannot (or contraction can't), as can not is entirely inappropriate in usage in your sentence, as is the use of an ampersand...
So the trolls are starting to make themselves known. You have been identified as troll #1 so far.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My reading and comprehension skill sets are perfectly fine. If I were you, I wouldn'd be so quick to judge someone else's reading and comprehension skillsets while composing and publishing a reply using "can not" as the equivalent of cannot (or contraction can't), as can not is entirely inappropriate in usage in your sentence, as is the use of an ampersand...
So the trolls are starting to make themselves known. You have been identified as troll #1 so far.
I con' seed , y win.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
Suchcoolness, please pay attention to this. DC is a fun place. It is not a place to join and start bad mouthing other members. It is not a place to join and start bragging about what you know and what your IQ is. It is a place to have fun. After you are around here you will also discover that quite a few threads stay on topic and quite a few do not. So while you are here just enjoy yourself and have fun

·
Registered
60 Posts
Theres a company out there,,,Automotivemodules.com,,,that claim that they can fix the EBCM on our early C5 corvettes. Might be worth bookmarking their site for future reference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Suchcoolness, please pay attention to this. DC is a fun place. It is not a place to join and start bad mouthing other members. It is not a place to join and start bragging about what you know and what your IQ is. It is a place to have fun. After you are around here you will also discover that quite a few threads stay on topic and quite a few do not. So while you are here just enjoy yourself and have fun
"start bad mouthing other members"
Would likely never happen except in response to having been bad mouthed..
"quite a few threads stay on topic and quite a few do not."
It's when people invade a thread and have nothing to contribute to the topic when things turn south. I've NEVER been one to just start bad mouthing anyone, but I do object to threads being invaded and used to discuss other things that aren't even remotely connected to the topic. As for this and the rest of your advisement - acknowledged, but as a typical man, I get pushed, I push back 10 times as hard in words or physically in person. Just my nature. I don't start trouble, I also don't run from it. I'm all for having fun. That's why I left the 'other ' place. Troll infested....

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
BTW - Kelley Blue Book lists the 98 at $10,300 and the 04 as $13,000. This was for the standard coupe with 90,000 miles and good condition. I didn't check any other years, just those two

1 - 20 of 29 Posts