Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BTW - Kelley Blue Book lists the 98 at $10,300 and the 04 as $13,000. This was for the standard coupe with 90,000 miles and good condition. I didn't check any other years, just those two
KBB and Edmunds are in the back pocket of dealerships / car manufacturers and are basically shills for them and have very little real research to back up their values. They don't go to the extent that a Hagerty or NADA would. They also fail to consider the '98 is now a classic and falls under a different valuation / category. They fall for the same misconception as many including dealerships / sales managers etc., that newer = more valuable / worth more than previous year models. It simply doesn't work that way. The '98 made it's mark and the rest of the years are just assembly line cars for all intent and purpose.

As with any car that makes its mark, especially in a radical new design, the following years are just production / assembly line no added value continuations on the one car that got the distinction (whatever that may b, whether a radical new design or major development worthy of setting it apart). Thereafter just production line vehicles with no inherent separate value.

I only use NADA as a seller or buyer to ensure both get an accurate value in a deal and be sure both are assured an accurate valuation. Hagerty has the '98 at $20Kin #2 conditiion / $26K Concours. There's a Classic Cars only company (nationwide locations) that's taking my 'vette on consignment and thEy gave it a #2 rating based on Hagerty and other guides that they used.

They may also pick up my 1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier which is actually nicer than one they recently had listed (it's sold), that was similar to mine exterior and interior color wise, but where theirs had a moon roof, mine has the very expensive 8 window special order chrome wheels with full size matching chrome spare. Not many people ordered these. Prohibitively expensive, but I also had one same as theirs with moon roof, but sold it fairly soon after I bought it due to lack of headroom. Theirs sold for $12,999. They valued mine at $10K, but it does have a pretty bad looking scratch through the paint on the top of the passenger side fender (however the heck that happened...) That's all that's wrong with it. It still smells / looks like a new car inside and out, and was a near flawless proverbial little ol' lady car except for that scratch. I flew out to Mobile, Alabama to buy it. She only drove it to church and to the market. She was too old to drive it anymore.

Her husband owns a dealership so it was meticulously maintained. Only 63K mi when I bought it 5 years ago and has 77K mi right now. The classic car place figures they can net me $5500. That'll work. Got it for about that, plus the airfare, hotel, for myself and nephew, (but I look at that part as a mini vacation). Drove it back to Santa Fe, N.M. like floating on a cloud. I have another 1997 white Signature with 182K that I drive daily and bought it 18 years ago. Looks almost as new as the Cartier. Got it from an estate sale with 53K miles on it:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
I only use NADA as a seller or buyer to ensure both get an accurate value in a deal and be sure both are assured an accurate valuation.
From NADA website...see attached pic

I haven't seen many 98s that were worthy of high retail but if you think you have one fine. Me I wouldn't give anywhere near that for one.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
From NADA website...see attached pic

I haven't seen many 98s that were worthy of high retail but if you think you have one fine. Me I wouldn't give anywhere near that for one.
Obviously you're showing me something I brought to your and this site's attention and the whole purpose of the post. To Show that high '98's valueand it being the C5 line's highest valued C5.
Additionally, you're not buying it...If I saw your car and it were for sale I might not give you a nickel, so these "I wouldn't pay this or that" conversations serve ZERO purpose. SOMEONE will pay that price. That's the only someone I have interest in discussing MY car with. This topic sure has gotten under your skin. You must be a '99 -'04 owner and I'd venture to say '04... Leave it alone already. Isn't changing anything anyway. The market will do what the market will do.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
I can leave it alone but obviously you can't:laughing: Why not branch out and post in some other threads. Do you realize that all your posts have been in the introduction thread and this one and no where else? Look at the rest of digitalcorvette.com, there is plenty of other sections to enjoy. Just a thought

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I can leave it alone but obviously you can't:laughing: Why not branch out and post in some other threads. Do you realize that all your posts have been in the introduction thread and this one and no where else? Look at the rest of digitalcorvette.com, there is plenty of other sections to enjoy. Just a thought
Not interested in anything else Corvette related other than bringing attention to the fact that the 1998 Corvette is the highest valued C5 Corvette of all C5s for the benefit of 1998 owners - myself included so that they don't get taken on trade in or selling by people that aren't aware of this fact. Outside of that, I could buy a brand new Corvette, even a Lamborgini etc., and pay cash but what the F for? The thrill is gone as far as sports cars go for me. (I bought the 1998 'cause I just happened to like that exact year snd style). I could have bought the new one of the year I bought the '98 in, but wanted the '98 specifically. I've lost ALL interest in sports cars period. They're worse than a high maintenance chick and the problems that come with that. As for the car, You can't park them anywhere, always worried they'll get hit, people drive like crap, all that HP and no way to cut loose on a public road like the car is capable of so in a way owning a sports car because it's fast and powerful is stupid unless you race it.
My truck will earn its keep. I love driving my 400 HP Hemi Dodge 4X4 Crew Cab Ram more than a sports car and making people move the f outa my way when they're in front of me or as I approach them versus not even being able to see one car ahead of the tinted glass puny car in front of me while in the 'vette. I can see hundreds of yards or on the highway - cars and miles past the car or truck in front of me while in my Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4. This truck has HP and torque that smokes my C5 1998. My only interest in Corvettes anymore, is getting mine sold so I can be done with it. Might end up donating it to charity. You could give me the most expensive highest HP most unique and valuable Corvette made right now and my first thought would be what the f am I gonna do with this POS...Don't like 'vettes or ANY sports cars anymore, and will be happy to see mine sold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gee OP, an interesting hypothesis you've arrived at. Conveniently the most valuable year is the one you own, and it's neither the first model year nor the last, nor a special edition either. No offense to those who own a pre-'00 C5, but why would anyone ever buy one these days (as opposed to a newer one, not saying they're not still fun cars)? They made quite a number improvements in '01 with the more advanced stability control as well as didn't the pre-'00 use some plastic control arms or something that went aluminum on the '01+? Plus the unreplaceable EBCM module that often fails which renders your ABS, TCS, and Stability inoperative is a pretty glaring deficiency.

I think you explained yourself well, you're one of these guys who likes the loud sputtering slow trucks that I see littering the road everywhere. Get beat by stock hot hatches, assuming that everyone is intimidated by you when they just think you're annoying and desperate for attention. Sounds like the Vette was too much car for you if you prefer the handling (or lack thereof) of a truck. Stay classy OP...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like someone missed their anger management class!;)

You either don't own a 1998, own one and are clueless as to how to problem solve, or are simply a troll. ANYONE with at least half a brain can solve ANY problem. Just have to use at least that half brain...
Just like at the pathetic so called forum (well I'll just use initials) CF, most people there are just plain STOOPID. Yes I can spell stupid.... that was for emphasis.
I'm a troubleshooter extraordinaire if I do say so myself, as there has been no problem I've ever encountered that I could not find a solution for. I've been a computer programmer, technician, licensed journeyman electrician, automotive electrician , telecommunications tech, and more since the days Bill Gates lived a few blocks from me in a MOTEL in Albuquerque. So I've learned a great deal over the years about electronics and troubleshooting in general. That and I have an IQ of 145 (and troubleshooting is just a forte).
For example, NO ONE , I REPEAT NO ONE at that forum knew (until I informed them), where the mileage is stored in a C5. I even laid out a detailed legal means of moving your car's EPROM to any other C5 IPC and keep your actual mileage in your own car, remain legal and save hundreds in the event your IPC screws up. Yes it's kept n the IPC. I removed all my instructonal nfo from that troll infested full of ingrates dump and they now have no way to do the many things I provided answers and instructions for. I'll wait and see how bad the trolling is here and whether their are more adults here than the 'other place'

·
Registered
39 Posts
My reading and comprehension skill sets are perfectly fine. If I were you, I wouldn't be so quick to judge someone else's reading and comprehension skillsets while composing and publishing a reply using "can not" as the equivalent of cannot (or contraction can't), as can not is entirely inappropriate in usage in your sentence, as is the use of an ampersand...
So the trolls are starting to make themselves known. You have been identified as troll #1 so far.
Can I be troll #2? :smack

·
Registered
1 Posts
You either don't own a 1998, own one and are clueless as to how to problem solve, or are simply a troll. ANYONE with at least half a brain can solve ANY problem. Just have to use at least that half brain...
Just like at the pathetic so called forum (well I'll just use initials) CF, most people there are just plain STOOPID. Yes I can spell stupid.... that was for emphasis.
I'm a troubleshooter extraordinaire if I do say so myself, as there has been no problem I've ever encountered that I could not find a solution for. I've been a computer programmer, technician, licensed journeyman electrician, automotive electrician , telecommunications tech, and more since the days Bill Gates lived a few blocks from me in a MOTEL in Albuquerque. So I've learned a great deal over the years about electronics and troubleshooting in general. That and I have an IQ of 145 (and troubleshooting is just a forte).
For example, NO ONE , I REPEAT NO ONE at that forum knew (until I informed them), where the mileage is stored in a C5. I even laid out a detailed legal means of moving your car's EPROM to any other C5 IPC and keep your actual mileage in your own car, remain legal and save hundreds in the event your IPC screws up. Yes it's kept n the IPC. I removed all my instructional nfo from that troll infested full of ingrates dump and they now have no way to do the many things I provided answers and instructions for. I'll wait and see how bad the trolling is here and whether their are more adults here than the 'other place'

Wow, your self worth is amazing I want to someday be superior to most other humans. "not cocky or ego centric" just to be better comparatively like you appear to be. So I have a ton of problems do you charge by the hour and are you willing to travel? I have an excellent problem solving ability matter of fact I was able to take both of our IQs and blend together the common knowledge resulting in an AI equivalent IQ of 155! thats pretty good right? Im stoked about this ! but I need your help to formulate an equation that can be applied to remove the mother of my children from this particular space time continuum setting her back 20 years should allow me a little bit of room to spread my seed without fear of her repurcusion and backfist strike which is lethal to a non ginger. this darn bitch has me confused in almost every aspect of a logical acceptance of abnormality conceivable. She is unequeveqly the most falsedominatly pretexer to a complex of superiority a civilian or sub level 3 C#ck Hero studsman may encounter the creator of flaccidity which is disturbing as I am attempting level 4 edge hero and she can drop my fireman from upstairs at 200yd..
I have on occasion banged her retarded or "[email protected]#ed her brains out however it appears to be a metaphor as I weighed her before and after with no noticeable difference. I just wanted to be upfront incase there is something I could be overlooking. I look forward to exchanging correspondence and becoming the intellectual cranial killers and dream team trouble double shooters. just get stoopid fingering out stuff ya mean! i'm out honky what!
btw I had an idea for a program that would automatically check your grammar and spelling with known corrections and automatically apply the repairs. this would streamline document creation and help me with the spelling, my only weakness well yogurt covered raisins are my weakness along with [email protected] hero vids. thats it so if you could write the code that'd be great should be simple for you I have no time, tonight I teach 1 on 1 no contact garage Karate for teenagers with social anxiety disorders. Hiya TTYL:cool:
thanks

21 - 29 of 29 Posts