Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I installed the hood seal so I was warmed up...tonight I tackled the Hurst shifter.

I followed the instructions of the internet. First problem was the demon key. I used a screwdriver propped under the front of the key and tapped it down to pry the key loose...worked well! Everything else went smooth until I dropped the allen wrench into the tunnel:mad:....1 hour later I had gotten it out and was back on track. Anyway, decided to do the jub jub silencer mod on the Hurst so I wouldn't have to pull it apart again if I didn't like it. Total install time was about 2 hours, so considering recovering the allen wrech took an hour the whole operation wasn't that bad.

First impressions of the Hurst:
Extremely stiff with the Jub jub mod
Brings 5th closer to 3rd
Shortens the throw considerably
Much more positive feeling shifts
Much more conducive to fast shifts
But the bottom line is.........I REALLY LIKE IT!:cheers:
Thanks to the info on this site I was able to get through this mod pretty quickly. Mahalo!

Dave:guiness: :D

Oh and here are some pics....:D

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Hey Dave,
I thought the car had a couple thousand miles already.Did Greg Z tell you his Hurst or driver experience?Me and him was racing and he tried to hit 3rd and grabbed 1st instead.Had to change all the push-rods.He has the nice 30th T.A.
I put the red-line in my rear,left the moble one in the motor.and since all the fluids in a C5 are synthetic,i left the tranny alone.But i will change it a 50,000 miles.The book says 100,000 miles,but that doesn't sit right with me.I just hit 40,006,had 21,000 two years ago when i got it.Not one problem yet.Oh ya,i had to change the battery last weekend,red-top.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
0 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
Hey Dave,
I thought the car had a couple thousand miles already.Did Greg Z tell you his Hurst or driver experience?Me and him was racing and he tried to hit 3rd and grabbed 1st instead.Had to change all the push-rods.:
Ouch!:surprised Congrats on the new shifter!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hawaii-5-lo said:
Hey Dave,
I thought the car had a couple thousand miles already.Did Greg Z tell you his Hurst or driver experience?Me and him was racing and he tried to hit 3rd and grabbed 1st instead.Had to change all the push-rods.He has the nice 30th T.A.
I put the red-line in my rear,left the moble one in the motor.and since all the fluids in a C5 are synthetic,i left the tranny alone.But i will change it a 50,000 miles.The book says 100,000 miles,but that doesn't sit right with me.I just hit 40,006,had 21,000 two years ago when i got it.Not one problem yet.Oh ya,i had to change the battery last weekend,red-top.:thumbsup:
No, brand new, just picked it up on Monday.....And yes , Greg told me all about his incident. Glad to hear there was no worse damage. He has one sweet T/A. I'll see you guys at the track soon.....:partyon:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Ya,great pictures.Theres a product review section if you get time.

I will take some pictures and do a right up on my rear end swap when i'm done.Should get it in early January.:buhbye:

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5Point7Liter said:
My dad put one in his car about 2 or 3 months ago. He loves it! What shift knob is that you have on there?
I ordered a polished billet knob from Xtreme with the shift gate engraved into the top. I love it...looks just how I wanted it to..classy, but understated.;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hurst shifter

Anyway, decided to do the jub jub silencer mod on the Hurst so I wouldn't have to pull it apart again if I didn't like it.
Dave,

Good pictures but what the heck is a "jub jub silencer mod"? I'll be doing mine as soon as it gets here from Bowling Green next week.

:excited: :excited:

Bob Hayes

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Hurst shifter

RF Hayes said:
Dave,

Good pictures but what the heck is a "jub jub silencer mod"? I'll be doing mine as soon as it gets here from Bowling Green next week.

:excited: :excited:

Bob Hayes
RF, check this out.....
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43213
Basically turn the rubber insulator boot inside out once the new shifter is mounted. Take a 1 1/2" rubber PVC cap and drill a 9/16ths inch hole in the center. Install the rubber boot, slide the PVC cap down over the stick (upside down) into the opening for the boot.....the link has pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts