Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never lost any races even with my old set-up except for the C4 last month. This guy took off slow so I figured there was no race, especially when I looked over at him at the light and he turned his head away from me but @ 30mph he mashed it and took off! :rolleyes: I won't fall for that again. ;) But now after the trans/converter install combined with the 3.54 gear, it's definately a different animal!

I LOVE THIS NEW SET-UP I HAVE ON MY 87!!!!:cheers:

Before I tell my stories, I'll start with a breakdown of most of my mods:
Ported TPI ( plenum, runners and intake manifold)
K&N filter with a cut lid
IAT relocated to the airbox
Hotcam kit w/ 1.6 rockers
Fuel pressure set at 45psi.
Coated Hedman non-emission headers
Catco Cat
Dynomax/Walker catback
AIR and EGR delete
Trans Eddie's Level 2 build
Vigilante 2800 stall
18K trans cooler
Richmond 3.54 gear
Marcho Polo chip

The rest are just free mods, probably not worth much. I haven't taken it to the track scale yet or the track period, but I'm guessing my 87 weighs 3235lbs. w/ me (230lbs.) in it on 1/4 tank of gas. Now here are the stories:

(Race #1) I was cruising down the right lane on a 6 lane road when I see a Mustang at a light ahead of me. As I got closer I see 2 tail pipes so I'm thinking "oh goody, a V8!!":D I get right behind him and his plates read "YOU LOSE 98". You lose huh? :stick: OK, IT'S ON!! When the light turned green he started off a bit slow so I figured it wasn't on, but then I see a puff of black smoke and hear a little tire spin. My previous races against Mustangs taught me to ease into the throttle or I'd rear end him so I did, but as soon as we got past the other 2 lanes of traffic, which was very quick, I punched it and swerved over to the left lane b/c the right lane merges with the middle lane and there was a box truck in that lane. By the time I was door to door with him he was stuck behind the truck. That was the fastest Mustang I've come up against yet! I slowed to get in a left turn lane and he slowed right along side me to tell me that he ran out of room, tisk:rolleyes: , like he was going to win! :laughing: I just saluted him, not the one finger salute, and didn't bother telling him that I'm outta tune. With that dusting I'm still undefeated against Mustangs! :cheers:

Race #2) I was traveling down a 4 lane at a brisk pace when I passed up an Iroc Z28, year unknown. After I passed him I noticed in my rear view that he was trying to keep pace with me. He finally got next to me at a light after trying to keep up with me for a few miles. I was in the left lane and his lane merges with mine so it definately was a race to the merge. ;) I really didn't think he was going to try it b/c my car is rather loud with the Hotcam and full exhaust. As the light for the cross traffic turned yellow I saw him lurch out a bit so that my bumper was behind his front tire. The light turned green and still on the brakes, I watch his rear end squat as he sped off. As soon as he got 1/2 way through the intersection I just flat out mashed the gas! I ripped by him in an instant with my tires screamin' and the exhaust was just ROARING!!! That was so SWEET to hear!!
:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

I can't wait to get the rear aligned b/c my tires are like this \--/ instead of like this I--I and I still need a bit more tuning. This thing is a blast since I got rid of the 2.59's and stock converter. :cheers:

Have a good day! :)

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have had my 3rd victim last night but my DAMN VATS was acting up!! I HATE THAT MUDDA!!I had to wait over 20min before it would start up! :rolleyes:

I saw one of those Mustangs w/ the Mach 1 scoop on it but this one was a vert. Ford didn't make any Mach 1 verts right? There was a 80's T/A I saw that sounded competitive, especially the chirp into 2nd at mid throttle. :surprised :D

Something may find me tonight, I plan on being out and about. :thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should be arriving today! :thumbsup:

This thing has got me so pissed I could knock out a gorilla! I ordered it last week because the VATS has left me stranded for a total of hours in the last week. That 20 min. was just last night not including the 20 more earlier in the day. Today I have to look forward to waiting again one last time to go get the bypass and NO MORE VATS BULLSHIT TO DEAL WITH!!!

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

·
Registered
135 Posts
John sounds like the car is running really well, glad to hear it.
I hope to see you out at Byron on Sunday. Hopefully the weather co-operates this time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Sounds great John, I'm going to have to be careful not to end up number 4 or 5. I'm still hoping my car will be finished sometime this summer.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Arn!! :buhbye:

Still hoping for it to be finished this summer? :surprised

What's left that needs to be done so you can drive it? I kinda dealt with that last summer. There were times that I was so pissed I could knock out a gorilla. I bet your getting close to that by now.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
War Machine said:
Hi Arn!! :buhbye:

Still hoping for it to be finished this summer? :surprised

What's left that needs to be done so you can drive it? I kinda dealt with that last summer. There were times that I was so pissed I could knock out a gorilla. I bet your getting close to that by now.
Well, I've been told that the engine/trans will be installed next week for about three weeks or so. After that there's some interior work to be done, then to the body shop to have the moulding's reinstalled, then tuning, then to the alignment shop, then drive about 1000 miles to break in the motor and then finally back to have the supercharger installed.

I've pretty much written off the summer, right now I would rather have the work done right than rushed just to finish the job.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was hoping you'd be about finished by now but HOLY CRAP that's a lot of work yet! :(

So basically nothing has been done since the last time we spoke?

Just a heads up, I heard last night that John Fabian (BlackSun) and Jeff (ApeelinC5) are supposed to race eachother at Rt.66 on Tue. July 22. It should be VERY INTERESTING! :thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arnie,

I don't think the race on the 22nd will take place. I spoke to Jeff on Tue. and he said the car is not done. I think John's car is still out of town too. Maybe we can plan a T&T get together at Rt.66 next month or September, get all you Forced Induction cats up to the plate!! I wanna see it!!

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
War Machine said:
Arnie,

I don't think the race on the 22nd will take place. I spoke to Jeff on Tue. and he said the car is not done. I think John's car is still out of town too. Maybe we can plan a T&T get together at Rt.66 next month or September, get all you Forced Induction cats up to the plate!! I wanna see it!!

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
That's too bad, i wanted to watch them race. I was at the Race Car test n tune Wednesday, lots of really quick cars, but a lot of break downs. I'll be there this tuesday.

I'll probably run my car sometime in Sept, if all goes well and I have no problem with the Tech inspection.

·
Registered
662 Posts
War Machine said:
...I haven't taken it to the track scale yet or the track period, but I'm guessing my 87 weighs 3235lbs. w/ me (230lbs.) in it on 1/4 tank of gas.
John,

Gasoline weighs approximately 6 lbs/gal, so a quarter tank is 5 gallons or 30 pounds. You weigh 230 lbs, so your saying that yoir 1987 C4 weighs 2,975 lbs?

Did you gut the interior or install ightwight body panels?

The shipping weight (found on the invoice) of my 2001 Z06 was 3,040 lbs, and that is with 2 gallons of gasoline in the tank as shipped by the Factory in Bowling Green.

You might want to weigh the car at a commercial scale or get a copy of your invoice from the Corvette Museum (they charge for that) which will list the shipping weight. Your estimate seems quite overly optimistic.

Ray

·
Registered
135 Posts
John there is a scale at Byron
I weighed my 94 there last year, I have the numbers wirtten down somewhere but if I remember correctly it weighed in around 3300/3400 lbs with me in it and 1/4 tank of gas. I weighed about 185 at the time.
I'm not sure the weight difference between the coupe vs convertible. I'm assuming the verts are slightly heavier.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Let's see if I can make any sense of how I came up with the new weight. I might have been off by a few lbs. stating the 3235#. First thing, I weigh the car on the scale they have at Rt.66 Raceway in Joliet Il. It measures in 5 lb. increments so the vehicle weight will be +/- 5 lbs. I have been using 6.6 lbs. as the weight of gasoline per gallon. I believe is was scorp508 came up with that # for the weight of gas. I used my home scale to weigh the parts and it measures in 1/2 lb. increments.

The 87 comes from the factory weighing in at 3216 lbs. I'm also asumming that means all fluids full including gas. The only options I have are Illuminated visors (removed from the car when I bought it), manual A/C, cruise control, power windows and a non-bose cassette stereo. I don't have power door locks, rear defogger, power seats or any other fancy stuff so I assume my 87 is already lighter than the avg. 87 coupe. I also have the steel drive and 1/2 shafts which was on the car when I bought it. I don't know how much the aluminum shafts weigh but I'm sure I'd save more by going aluminum.

When I last weighed the car at Rt.66 it was 3270 on 1/4 tank of gas (33 lbs.) w/ me (210 at the time) in the car. I have seen 3265 a couple of times but I saw 3270 most often. This weight includes the Dynomax cat back, that's 43 lbs, and all other fluids, including washer fluid, topped off. That gave me roughly 3160 curb weight w/o driver. That's over 55 lbs. lighter than advertised.

I have since removed the rock guards which only weigh 2 lbs. for the set but there was a couple lbs. of sand that accumulated in those. I saved 15.5 lbs changing from stock cat forward to the Hedman headers, cut front y-pipe and a Catco cat. I saved 7 lbs. deleting the AIR system and at least another 1 lb removing the EGR. I saved 14 lbs using the Vigilante over the stock converter. I even saved 1 lb switching from the stock pushrods to the Comp Cams pushrods. I also removed the hood assist cylinders and underhood lights, those combined are probably around 3 lbs. When my car was up on the lift at PowerHouse Performance last Summer/Fall, I cleaned the underside of the car and scraped off a lot of dirt and road grime as well as cleaning out the radiator/condensor area. All that crap had to accumulate to some weight, my guess is more than a couple lbs. This is a total savings of over 45 lbs.

I gained 1 lb. with the 1.6 Crane rockers and at least 3 lbs. with the trans cooler, that doesn't include the weight of the extra trans fluid.

That is around 3120 lbs. curb weight (+/- 5 lbs.) using the weight of 6.6 lbs/gal. of gas. If gas is 6 lbs., then that's around 3132. Race weight (1/4 tank min w/ me) should now be 3250/3262, it looks like more now b/c I personally gained 20 lbs since the last time I weighed the car. :( It would be 3230/3242 if I can get back down to 210 lbs. Actually my goal for next year is to get down to 200 lbs.

Remember, the wieght is estimated since neither scale measures exact weight. If I had no gas, yes, the vette would weigh in around 3k lbs.

I hope that makes sense. :surprised :laughing:

·
Registered
662 Posts
The 87 comes from the factory weighing in at 3216 lbs. I'm also asumming that means all fluids full including gas.
Actually, there is shipping weight (as it comes from the factory) and "curb weight" The shipping weight is the curb weight minus the weight of 18 gallons of gasoline. Curb weight is defined by the SAE as the weight including all fluids (engine oil, coolant, refrigerant, transmission fluid, differential lubricant) required to operate the vehicle without damage. The SAE definition is vague about the amount of fuel, probably because it's varaiable between vehicles (full tank in a Z06 is 18 gallons, in a ZR-1 it's 20 gallons) and you don't need a full tank to operate the vehicle without damage.

I have checked a number of published sources on the weight of an '87 coupe with automatic transmission and while the numbers vary, the lightest weight found was 3,270, the heaviest 3,340. These variations may be due to the amount of fuel onboard when they weighed the car. These weights are all without the driver. They all list a separate "test weight" (driver and test equipment) which varied between 3,440 and 3,575 pounds.

What piqued my curiosity was the fact that if your data are accurate, the '87 automatic coupe is lighter than a Z06, which would call into question the claim that the Z06 is the lightest Corvette ever produced (outside of one-off racers). One of the media knocks of Corvettes since 1954 was their relatively high weight (in comparision to European sports cars).

See

High Performance Corvettes 1983-1989, R.M Clark, Brooklands Books, ISBN 1-870642-856 page 43

Corvette: America's Sports Car various contibutors,, Beekman House ISBN 0-517-02036-X page 362.

Understanding Automotive Specifications and Data, James Flammang, Tab Books, ISBN 0-8306-0316-6 page 173

Ray

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RT66Z06, that was interesting. Thanks for posting that info!!

The weight of my 87 might not reflect the whole fleet of 87's b/c mine has hardly any options at all. I have not yet found a C4 that has less options than mine, at least one that came from the factory like that.

Nick, when I get to Byron, I'll get on that scale too. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts