Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I've noticed just how bad the interior drone on my 84 really is, so I'm seriously considering new mufflers. I figure that since I have stock headers, 2 1/4" exhaust with an X-pipe and Targa mufflers, that I might as well go all out and fix the problem from the heads back. That's where Melrose comes in, with their longtube headers, dual 3" exhaust with X-pipe that narrows to 2 1/2" at the mufflers. Since my mufflers right now are 2 1/4", that tells me it's time to step up into something a little more subdued. The problem I'm having, is most 2 1/2" inlet style mufflers have a whole cat-back system with them, but I don't need all that. I just need mufflers and a couple elbows. I know Borla and Flowmaster make some, but they resonate pretty bad from what I've heard. Anyone know of any nice sounding mufflers available in 2 1/2" that don't resonate? Thanks!

·
Registered
796 Posts
ttt I'm in the same boat Muddy !!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I am getting frustrated. I have been to four exhaustshops that say they offer custom work. I have been given the run around at all four, each sending me elsewhere because it will be "difficult" to attach my Melrose system to mufflers. Can these guys no longer bend a piece of pipe, have they all gotten used to hanging pre bent pipes only? I even went to a Midas and was told that "me and my head tech aren't very good at bending pipe. UNBELIEVABLE !!
The search continues tomorrow for someone that can actual do a little custom work. Sorry for the rant but I needed to get this frustartion off my chest.

:huh:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Finally got the mufflers installed. The car is now driveable as a daily driver. Took a few trips to differtent shops and about 450.00 bucks, but its done and I am satisfied.
Thanks for all the help guys !! You are the best of the best.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Muddy, I ended up with Flowmaster Super 40's, single in single out, with LT1 style tips. Sounds pretty good so far, job was just completed this afternoon and haven't really had the chance to drive it too much. There is hope out there !!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome deal man. I love the sound of Flowmaster 40's, but have always feared putting them on my car for resonance reasons. I'm interested to hear your opinion after a long drive to see if it's real noisy with those and the melrose system. Also, where did you get the LT1 style tips, or did the exhaust shop have some? I've been looking for those in 2 1/2" stainless forever.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have those on my truck and the inside drone sucks. If I drove my truck more I'd put new mufflers on it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Muddy,
The system sounds great at idle and at highway speeds. WOT is awesome. Driving around town its loud going thru the revs but it is manageable. For the most part I can carry a conversation and the stereo will certainly overcome the exhaust note. Its at the loudest around 2000 rpms but sweet at 2500 and again at 3000 which with 3.73's is highway speed. The drone everyone speaks of is there but I can deal with it for now. In a perfect world, I think I might choose something different for everyday normal driving. I will get a couple of pics of the system, tips included and a sound clip as well. The exhaust shop had them in stock and they look pretty good, I have been unable to re-install the Greenwood tunnel at this point as it will take some modification to fit with the new pipes and mufflers. I'm headed to Myrtle Beach this weekend and I will let you know how it sounds on the open highway when I get back.

Save the Wave !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts