Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have a 2002 s10 quad cab. It gets about 17 MPG. On the high way it does about 2300 rpm around 70 mph. I want to help the mpg. Would switching from I believe 3:42 and or 3:73 to a lower ratio like 2:50 or 2:73 put a big dent in MPG or will I only see like a 2 MPG change. I would imagine on the high way the rpms would drop to around the 1500/1800 rpm range.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had an s-10 with a 4.3l, th700r4, & 3.08 rear gear. I installed a gear vendors overdrive on the back of it for improved mpg. It went from 22-24mpg to 27-28mpg. Its top gearing was like the 6th gear in the c4s. Very tall, but it would run in top gear from 50 mph(at 1200 rpms) up. I had a good boast in mpg using a hot T-stat, you should be able to find a 205 degree one. Make sure your cooling system is good though. A quick warm up time helps alot too.
You know tune up parts should be checked, synthetic lube in the rear axle should help. Cold air kits don't help fuel economy at all, the cooler air requires the ecm to richen up the pulse widths to maintain the proper air-fuel ratio.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an s-10 with a 4.3l, th700r4, & 3.08 rear gear. I installed a gear vendors overdrive on the back of it for improved mpg. It went from 22-24mpg to 27-28mpg. Its top gearing was like the 6th gear in the c4s. Very tall, but it would run in top gear from 50 mph(at 1200 rpms) up. I had a good boast in mpg using a hot T-stat, you should be able to find a 205 degree one. Make sure your cooling system is good though. A quick warm up time helps alot too.
You know tune up parts should be checked, synthetic lube in the rear axle should help. Cold air kits don't help fuel economy at all, the cooler air requires the ecm to richen up the pulse widths to maintain the proper air-fuel ratio.

thanks for the info. I wanted a gear vendors case but its like 3000 after the install. I could put gears in my truck for like 100 bucks. That route it was cost effective. I dot have a cold air intake on the truck. Im gonna remove it and see if I get any difference. These trucks even brand new don't get anymore than 18 MPG Every truck forum I find 100s of people complain they should have gotten a V8.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts