Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild my '73 stock 350 (plan is to go .030 over, new bottom end & top end) or get a crate engine. I'd rather learn and build it myself then going crate but I believe in '73 it was a 2 bolt main. How much weaker of a block is this than a 4 bolt main? Am I just wasting my money by trying to hot rod out (400+ hp) a '73 block that won't last?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
If you're not going to push the car hard at the drag strip then follow your course and rebuild your original block. 2 bolts hold up pretty well. you can also have it machined for 4 bolts if you really want but for a st car I think you'll be ok. That is what I did with my 72 base 350 block.

·
Registered
842 Posts
try ohiocrankshaft.com & buy a unassembled kit that comes with a block with all the machiene work done & keep your old one & have the best of both worlds:thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey.......did the same to my 72' with a 350. I'm 0.030 over and stroked to 383.

Runs great with all the added power I need in a 72'. :devil:

·
Registered
754 Posts
As long as you keep the rpms down you will be ok,even with high hp.RPMS KILL engines , keep under 6500,and you will be ok :thumbsup: Thats what i have learned from other people over the years. Personally i never go over 6500 in my car,only race cars do that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as you keep the rpms down you will be ok,even with high hp.RPMS KILL engines , keep under 6500,and you will be ok :thumbsup: Thats what i have learned from other people over the years. Personally i never go over 6500 in my car,only race cars do that.
Thanks all for the advice on this. You're right, I don't plan on racing it, so no issues keeping the RPM's below 6,500!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to add a little support, I used a 2 bolt main block for vintage racing for a few years. It was a 327. To give a bit more strength, I refitted stock connecting rods with ARP bolts and used ARP main cap bolts. I did keep the rpm's below 6500. I never had one problem.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just to add a little support, I used a 2 bolt main block for vintage racing for a few years. It was a 327. To give a bit more strength, I refitted stock connecting rods with ARP bolts and used ARP main cap bolts. I did keep the rpm's below 6500. I never had one problem.
Yes ,good advise :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
2 bolt mains with ARP studs or bolts should be fine. I think GM blocks, especially the older ones, are under-rated in respect for durability. Case in point: my supercharged 383 makes in excess of 900 fwhp, and it is a Mexico block with factory cast 4 bolt mains. I think I have only seen 2 blocks fail at the main web, and each time detonation was the cause. Balance the rotating assembly and use good hardware. Keep it out of detonation. Then forget about it.

P.S. Back in the early 70's, Pro Stock Chevys would routinely spin 10,000 rpm on stock Chevy blocks. This is before aftermarket blocks and the good hardware available to us today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts