Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Also what would be the max HP/torque safe to run for each?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reason I ask is I'm about to buy a 2 bolt main bbc that will putting out 571HP and 588 torque. Is this too much for a 2 bolt main even if the guy has been building engines for a long time and has a good reputation?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Any good machine shop can convert a 2 bolt main to a 4 bolt. If done properly it will be stronger than the original 4 bolts:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:agree:

There was some info at one time about the 2 bolt blocks having more iron in the web area. And installing 4 bolt caps took advantage of that added material. If I was going to add 4 bolt caps, I'd go with steel as opposed to cast. Properly built, a 2 bolt block should be fine for anything short of all out race stuff anyway. Lots of guys run 2 bolt blocks AND race with no problems. But they usually do a tear-down and inspection every season too.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with my buddies dad who used to be a Pro Stock engine builder and he basically said the same. If I weren't to drag race it almost every weekend then I should be just fine. Honestly, I don't drive the car all that much and when I do I get on it a few times but it's mostly to show the car off at work and such. I just wanted to probe the minds of the crusty guys around the forum to see what they had to say.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
stress is cumulative, low rpms and hp are far less stress producing than high rpms and hp, keep in mind an engine rarely operates anywhere near peak power and stress for any length of time and when they do its usually the valve train control (or lack of) ,lubration system (or lack of) cooling system (or lack of) or detonation and the resulting damage that tends to cause that resulted in problems,
example
I can,t even remember all the times Ive heard rods blamed for engine failures, its rarely the rods,..... rod bolts maybe, excessive rpms, detonation, valve control problems, perhaps, but the guy sees a rod thru the block and blames the connecting rod, but the truth is its usually the rod BENT or broke a rod bolt only after it hit a valve, or the oil pressure to the bearings failed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts