Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys are there 2 different size l88 flairs? im looking to buy a set and ive seen ,it looks like 2 different sizes.looks to be one is 4inches and the other 2 inches on the back of cars ive seem on ebay.Can anybody enlighten me about this? Thanks for any help on this and also where to buy the flairs if they make both sizes? Bill

·
Registered
959 Posts
L-88 flares were originally sold by GM over the counter with a GM part number glassed into the back side, they were just the "bolt on" flare no quarter panel with a tab at the top for placement. Rears were 4", over the years they "morfed" into whatever the fiberglass companies thought they could sell. I have some original GM rear flares but they are all one side, they are 4".
redvetracr

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
L-88 flares were originally sold by GM over the counter with a GM part number glassed into the back side, they were just the "bolt on" flare no quarter panel with a tab at the top for placement. Rears were 4", over the years they "morfed" into whatever the fiberglass companies thought they could sell. I have some original GM rear flares but they are all one side, they are 4".
redvetracr
So ,have you seen different size flairs?

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
ideally,

what i would like to get set up is a big honking set of bolt or screw on flairs for racing and another set to bring it back to stock for the street.

Something that could be swapped out in 30min. I only care about covering up the top of the tire per the SCCA rules.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I have molds for the L88 flares :) I also have some rears from Howard, some rears for a C2 and some front ZL1 flares w/ mudflaps which are narrower. The ACI copies of the originals still come with the indentations for the body screws. DaveL82 here has the L88 flares screwed on.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I hate fiberglass work and the guy I got the molds rfom tried selling them, don't think he ever had any interest in them. This country is full of cheapskates. On the dutch forum theý're selling and looking for used tires and used floor mats. LOL

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I bought mine from Vanacor, 2" wide and no mudflaps. Call them, they don't show a lot on their website.

Before you install 4" wide flares look thru some catalogs and find out how much you have to spend to fill these fenders.... 11x17 is a common size but still a little narrow for these flares... 12x18 seems to be a good fit.....

295-50 on stock aluminum rim with 2" thick spacers:

·
Registered
959 Posts
I bought mine from Vanacor, 2" wide and no mudflaps. Call them, they don't show a lot on their website.

Before you install 4" wide flares look thru some catalogs and find out how much you have to spend to fill these fenders.... 11x17 is a common size but still a little narrow for these flares... 12x18 seems to be a good fit.....

295-50 on stock aluminum rim with 2" thick spacers:

15X10" wheels fill mine out nicely...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
redvetracr, are your flares the factory L-88's? that's what's on my Vette and I've been trying to figure out what it's going to take to fill them without buying a dozen different wheel/tire combinations. Right now I've got N50-15's on the stock 15x8x4.5 wheels. I've got 4" between the top of the rear tire and the lip on the flare.

billsvette, I've got some pictures up in "My Vette Photo's" and a video here:

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/TimAT_vette/?action=view&current=cfe98df5.flv

The video has a fair shot of the left rear- not great, but it's there.

:cheers:

·
Registered
959 Posts
redvetracr, are your flares the factory L-88's? that's what's on my Vette and I've been trying to figure out what it's going to take to fill them without buying a dozen different wheel/tire combinations. Right now I've got N50-15's on the stock 15x8x4.5 wheels. I've got 4" between the top of the rear tire and the lip on the flare.

billsvette, I've got some pictures up in "My Vette Photo's" and a video here:

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/TimAT_vette/?action=view&current=cfe98df5.flv

The video has a fair shot of the left rear- not great, but it's there.

:cheers:
the rear clip is a one piece with integral flares it`s supposed to be out of an old John Greenwood mold...it probably was as it was not even close to straight and took alot of work. The fronts are ones I bought from the Corvette Image and made wider. Tire sizes are (F) 245-45X15 and (R) 26.5-9.5X15 you can get the tire specs from the Hoosier tire website...look under Road race/ vintage and historic
redvetracr

PS: a friend has a set of rears mounted on a 78-82 rear clip if anyone needs/wants a set, they were trimmed slightly at the front edge and probably could be "had' pretty cheap. I have a set of ZL-1 front molds if anyone wants/needs a set..they would be built by Five Star in WI (the nicest glass anywhere)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Howard, have you run or considered running 17" or anything other than 15" wheels and lower profile tires? It would seem they would provide more choices and bump a C3 up to newer tire technology.
FYI, Greenwood was housed in Sylvania Ohio, in the same building as ACI, they produced most "Greenwood" body parts at least into the late 70's probably later, Greenwoods kept some of the molds, ACI doesn't seem to have many of the original molds.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts