Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101201/ap_on_bi_ge/us_jobless_benefits_the99ers

"Congressional opponents of extending the benefits beyond this month say fiscal responsibility should come first. Republicans in the House and Senate, along with a handful of conservative Democrats, say they're open to extending benefits, but not if it means adding to the $13.8 trillion national debt"

""I am not searching for a job, I am begging for one," said Felicia Robbins, 30, as she prepared to move out of a homeless shelter in Pensacola, Fla., where she and her five children have been living. She is using the last of her cash reserves, about $500, to move into a small, unfurnished rental home.

Robbins lost her job as a juvenile justice worker in 2009 and her last $235 unemployment check will arrive Dec. 13. Her 10-year-old car isn't running, and she walks each day to the local unemployment office to look for work.

Jeanne Reinman, 61, of Greenville, S.C., still has her house, but even that comes with a downside.

After losing her computer design job a year and a half ago, Reinman scraped by with her savings and a weekly $351 unemployment check. When her nest egg vanished in July, she started using her unemployment to pay off her mortgage and stopped paying her credit card bills. She recently informed a creditor she couldn't make payments on a loan because her benefits were ending.

"I'm more concerned about trying to hang onto my house than paying you," she told the creditor.

Ninety-nine weeks may seem like a long time to find a job. But even as the economy grows, jobs that vanished in the Great Recession have not returned. The private sector added about 159,000 jobs in October — half as many as needed to reduce the unemployment rate of 9.6 percent, which the Federal Reserve expects will hover around 9 percent for all of next year.

"I apply for at least two jobs a day," said Silvia Lewis, of Nashville, Tenn., who's also drained her 401(k) and most of her other savings. "The constant thing that I hear, and a lot of my friends are in the same boat, is that you're overqualified."

JoAnn Sampson of Charlotte hears the same thing. A former cart driver at U.S. Airways, she and her husband are both facing the end of unemployment benefits, and she can't get so much as an entry-level job.

"When you try to apply for retail or fast food, they say 'You're overqualified,' they say 'We don't pay that much money,' they say, 'You don't want this job,'" she said.

Sampson counts her blessings: At least her two children, a teenager and a college student, are too old to expect much from Christmas this year.

Shawn Slonsky's three children aren't expecting much either. The 44-year-old union electrician in northeast Ohio won't be able to afford presents or even a Christmas tree.

His sons and daughter haven't bothered to send him holiday wish lists with the latest gizmos and gadgets.

Things used to be different. Before work dried up, Slonsky earned about $100,000 a year and he and his wife lived in a three-bedroom house where deer meandered through the backyard. For Christmas, he bought his aspiring doctor daughter medical books, a guitar, a unicycle.

Then he and his wife lost their jobs. Their house went into foreclosure and they had to move in with his 73-year-old father.

Now, Slonsky is dreading the holidays as he tries to stretch his last unemployment check to cover child support, gas, groceries and utilities.

"You don't even get in the frame of mind for Christmas when things are bad," he said. "It's hard to be in a jovial mood all the time when you've got this storm cloud hanging over your head."

Too bad the top 2 percent of wealty in America are more important than the 2 million that will lose their homes and need to move into shelters. :rolleyes:

Pretty soon, the average home will be worth 12k.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Well, the average home is only worth, $12k. It's all the overinflated values and over inflated fiat currency that caused the problem. Doing more of the same won't help.

Pass my stimulus, unemployment will stay at 8%. LIE
Pass the healthcare bill, rates will drop. LIE
Bailout the banks, credit will flow again. LIE
QE2 will propel the economy. LIE

In Europe:

Greece will not need a bailout. LIE
If we bailout Greece, it will stop the domino effect. LIE

If the progressive ideas worked, why do they have to be implemented at the point of a gun? And repeated implemented even when insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Read the sig..

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I truely wonder how many of those people have tried to get lower paying jobs. I know a guy that is losing his house but refuses to take anything but an HR management job at 60K a year. Seems to me he'd take anything offered and pay his bills.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
About time they start getting some of the people off of the Gubmint tit! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I truely wonder how many of those people have tried to get lower paying jobs. I know a guy that is losing his house but refuses to take anything but an HR management job at 60K a year. Seems to me he'd take anything offered and pay his bills.
That's a pretty ****ed up guy.
Does he have a family that he will take down the shitter with him?

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts

hes most likely either getting by on the unemployment (very tough to do) or a MORON, most of the people I know who have been unemployed for over a year will take nearly any job that pays more than about $7-$8 an hour,to put some income into the bank, and even those jobs are almost NON-existent once they see your over 55 years old
example
I know several dozen people that made decent money until they got laid-off when my wife's old nation wide company down sized its service department ,my wife got laid-off 2 years ago,she was a manager, over a customer service dept at a large communication company, and a field service technician shes always gotten excellent reviews, for 30 years and frequent promotions and awards in her old job,
Shes been on countless interviews,but once they see shes 60, they find some excuse and she doesn,t get a call back, shes taken several call center jobs at minimum wage, gotten excellent reviews, then after a few months the whole dept got laid-off , its hard to find any decent job.
the jobs are not out there if your over about 55 years old, its been almost the same for everyone that used to work with her because no employer wants to hire someone that at least potentially can retire in 3-7 years, why put in the time when theres a dozen younger guys and gals willing to take the same job

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
hes most likely either getting by on the unemployment or a MORON, most of the people I know who have been unemployed for over a year will take nearly any job that pays more than about $7-$8 an hour, and even those jobs are almost NON-existent once they see your over 55 years old
That's a pretty ****ed up guy.
Does he have a family that he will take down the shitter with him?

Yep he's an older fellow that is going to let everything go save a few items then move to Panama. He figures he can live there without working off his military retirement.

He took his whole family on a cruise last month on his dime, hasn't paid his house payment in 8 months.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
So who is responsible, the Republicans who are willing to pass the bill IF the Dems will find equal cuts, or the Dems who refuse to cut anything?

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hes most likely either getting by on the unemployment (very tough to do) or a MORON, most of the people I know who have been unemployed for over a year will take nearly any job that pays more than about $7-$8 an hour,to put some income into the bank, and even those jobs are almost NON-existent once they see your over 55 years old
example
I know several dozen people that made decent money until they got laid-off when my wife's old nation wide company down sized its service department ,my wife got laid-off 2 years ago,she was a manager, over a customer service dept at a large communication company, and a field service technician shes always gotten excellent reviews, for 30 years and frequent promotions and awards in her old job,
Shes been on countless interviews,but once they see shes 60, they find some excuse and she doesn,t get a call back, shes taken several call center jobs at minimum wage, gotten excellent reviews, then after a few months the whole dept got laid-off , its hard to find any decent job.
the jobs are not out there if your over about 55 years old, its been almost the same for everyone that used to work with her because no employer wants to hire someone that at least potentially can retire in 3-7 years, why put in the time when theres a dozen younger guys and gals willing to take the same job
:agree:

Heck,

It's like that for people over 35-38 because companies dont want to pay for healthcare for families, let alone people who are getting old enough to get diagnosed with stuff like diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, exc...

I just ended my contract and am getting laid off again, but at least the engineering jobs are slowly picking up here, and my wife keeps getting promoted, and I'm running a small tree service/storm damage company.

The bigger problem is people who need to pay for childcare and take cheap jobs.

And when you factor in gas, wear n tear, cheap 20 hour jobs end up with many people almost working at a loss to be employed...without paying for any bills.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep he's an older fellow that is going to let everything go save a few items then move to Panama. He figures he can live there without working off his military retirement.
If he's close to retirement age, he has little to gain by spending another 30 to 60k to go back to school.
He might as well retire.....but walking away from any equity he has into the home is pretty stupid, depending on what he owes or not.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Shes been on countless interviews
You know what is hiring those in their retirement range... fast food. Now, before you knee-jerk to it - $2800 a month to babysit a crew of 6 and do some entry level accounting... and dealing with complaints of missing or cold food. I just had an interview for a position with Del Taco, for a district management position... $3800 a month, plus medical, expenses and a car.

Just saying... there's no shame in working in a field that has a very high turnover rate and is looking for quality management... and willing to pay for it.

All the best to you and Mrs. Grumpy. ;)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well, the average home is only worth, $12k. It's all the overinflated values and over inflated fiat currency that caused the problem. Doing more of the same won't help.

Pass my stimulus, unemployment will stay at 8%. LIE
Pass the healthcare bill, rates will drop. LIE
Bailout the banks, credit will flow again. LIE
QE2 will propel the economy. LIE

In Europe:

Greece will not need a bailout. LIE
If we bailout Greece, it will stop the domino effect. LIE

If the progressive ideas worked, why do they have to be implemented at the point of a gun? And repeated implemented even when insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Read the sig..
:nuts:

You forgot: Bailout corrupt insurance Companies "AIG" To Protect policy Holders LIE !

Bailout General Motors so American Auto parts suppliers can survive BIG LIE !

Democrats and repulicans point the finger at eachother to confuse the Voters LIE !

Put the Electorial vote into effect so you can dilute the vote process, And take the power away from the people LIE Big LIE !

:thumbsup: Bon

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
When I lost my job in 2003, I was out of work for 16 months

I ended up taking a job that paid 1/3 less then what I had at my old job I lost, but a job was better then no job.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much Older?

How old is he?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I was laid off 3 times over 4 years after working strong for 23 yrs with the same company.
I took a job for $8 per hour less,using my credit card to cover the diffrence for awhile and then had to dip into my 401k to save from loosing the house.
The day I was laid off my wife found a lump in her breast and we also had 2 children going to Wayne state University and a son in the War in Iraq.
Talk about hard to sleep at night!!!:surprised
I am today back on my feet at the wage i was at when I lost my original job,just got a raise a few weeks ago to put me back at it.
I have a huge debt to repay but i have my house and family....didnt lose it all but damn close to it.
My guess is it will take 4 to 5 years to recover if i keep it up.
If you have lost your job, stay strong and have faith....do what you have to do to survive.
It's good that your heading back, it's a shame that your just getting back to previous levels, while everything has increased. One thing that won't increase anytime soon is wages.. prepare to really get raked over the coals in the next few years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts