Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright heres the deal, a few months ago a friend backed into my car in the driveway again and did $2000 damgae to it which I can easily fix in a day or so myself, this way I can pocket the 2 grand. I would like to remove the 84' crossfire engine with 110,000 miles on it then wrap and mothball it and put it into storage so that I can start fresh and still preserve the old engine. Now, what can I do starting from scratch with $2000? Is there or decent crate engine I could buy for that money or how about building a 383 stroker engine from the ground up? Or maybe I should just freshen up the interior since my seats arent looking too good. Oh and it has a new automatic transmission with only 2,000 miles on it.

Can anyone help me out here? I know there are plenty of people on here with engine build experience, any advice is very much appreciated!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Which does it need more? Is the interior really haggard, or does it just not run as good as it should? If it were me (and it was, once) I would go for the interior. That new car smell I get every time I sit in my new leather seats surrounded with new carpets makes it all worthwhile.

Another thing you have to consider is that you have crossfire injection. If you were to go to another form of EFI, or even a carb setup, that would soak up a good portion of your $2000 budget, where you can stay under that easily with the interior.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the carb setup would run alot more cash, I suppose I could throw a few more hundred down if I had to.

But as far as the interiror goes, I just put a new head unit in and Alpines all around, carpet is in fair condition, and the leather seats are pretty shot. I think all I would replace inside would be the leather seats with foam and get new floor mats.

And the engine runs strong, there is no problems with it at all. But it does have 110,000 miles on it

I just got new tires, but I suppose I could also save it for some nice ZR1 wheels like your ride. Looks sick by the way!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If the car runs good I would do the interior. Just be careful. You can get to $2000 quick on the interior. I recommed finding a local shop to do your seats you'll save money. Also if it is a driver go with the leather like seats. They are much more durable and don't have the wear issues as leather. Most people can't tell the difference between the two anyway. Don't worry about the mileage just keep up on your maintenace and it'll run fine. My car has over 100,000 miles and I'm supercharging it.:thumbsup:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grumpyvette: Great links, thanks alot! The engine on Summit looks like it has alot more potential than the current crossfire in terms of modifications.:thumbsup:

Raidmagic: Do they make the leather-like seat covers in red or do they only come in black? And when do you plan to have the supercharger in and ready to go? That should be an awesome project to follow. Keep us posted:partyon:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I have done the cross-fire to carb conversion.I used a Edelbrock performer manifold and carb.I used a HEI distibutor from a chevy truck,40 bucks from the junk yard.I actually lost torque when i was done,i did gain some top end,i had to wire up gauges-fuel pump relay and return.Was'nt worth it in the long run..
heres my take,if your going to keep the cross-fire,think about a nice torque convertor and some 3:42 gears.That will make the car alot quiker..

·
Registered
179 Posts
if i was you id buy a set of $2000 rear tires and smoke um till they exploded:partyon:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Allright heres the deal, a few months ago a friend backed into my car in the driveway again

wait. so your friend has done this before? :laughing: maybe he shouldnt park in the driveway anymore.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just bought a set of C5 wheels...

BRAND NEW!!!
silver,17/18,lugs,caps
fOR $300.00 OFF OF EBAY.
tHE SUPPLIER IS "o e wheels" out of sarasota fl...they are an ebay store!
shipping was cheap $80.00
check em out...they are awesome!

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wait. so your friend has done this before? :laughing: maybe he shouldnt park in the driveway anymore.
Yup. Grand total in damages so far is $2,800. haha keep it comin:laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Raidmagic: Do they make the leather-like seat covers in red or do they only come in black? And when do you plan to have the supercharger in and ready to go? That should be an awesome project to follow. Keep us posted
You can do them in any color your little heart desires. As for the S/c it is 90% done I need to button up some wiring and I/C piping and it's good to go. I was gonna finish that up this weekend but I have been sick and Sat. I hurt my back. Soooo just another set back. Oh-well.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts