Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry for posting this in this location, but don't know the proper place.

I'm looking at a 2000 Corvette with the 350 engine. Drives nice corners wonderful, but the noise level driving over rough asphalt is terrible. You feel like you have to shout to someone sitting beside you!

I know it's a sports car, but why even have a Bose Sound system in it if you can't hear it very well!

The sound seems to come from the rear hatch on the passenger side. I looked to make sure the hatch was closed and looked at the gasket around the hatch and it seems fine!

Is this something you have to live with with a 2000 Vette or is something wrong? Is there a fix for the problem? Are there any other problems I should look out for with a 2000 year model. the car is clean and with low mileage, but the sound on rough road is terrible. I can understand some noise, but not this much, and the sound does seem to come from the rear.

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Wow I have never had a problem like that with mine.I know the stock runflat tires are suppose to be a little noisey but not like anything your experiencing. What does the rear tire condition look like. Is the tread worn down bad? Is there dry cracks between the tread pattern? I would investigate the tires first.You should not have that kind of noise that would drowned out your stereo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires

I did look at the tires and they seem to be all right. I have had the problem with tires on our Yukon before and went to Michelins and it stopped the noise. I still can't help thinking it has something to do with a bad seal on the rear hatch. While I wouldn't mind buying the car, if I have to shout driving the car on a long drive to San Anotnio or Austin, it's not worth it!

Dan Mascheck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original Goodyears

Yes I think the tires are the original Goodyears. The car only has 40,000 miles on it! If I knew the tires were the problem it would be an easy fix I could get the dealer to fix before I bought the car.

I guess being ignorant about the sound level of what a Vette should have makes me wonder? I know some people like loud sounds, and I have a 72 Chevelle and a 1946 Chevy truck that have some performance sounds from the mufflers, but the Vette road noise is pretty bad. It gets bearable on smooth roads, but we have many that have the rough textured asphalt. Noise is a relative thing to each person, but to have to shout to the passenger and not be able to hear the Bose stereo very well, seems a bit odd to me!

Maybe if I would have driven a Vette before I would have something to compare it against, but this is my first time! For short runs to Houston or such, it woud be tolerable I guess, but a 3 hour drive it would be too much!

Dan Mascheck

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Yes I think the tires are the original Goodyears.
Tires get nosier with age. they also get harder than a rock. If these a original they are unsafe and should be replaced by the dealer...my 2 cents

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have you checked the grommets where the rear mufflers connect in to? It cant be the rear hatch. I have accidentally touched the hatch open button while driving and still not that much noise. Not even close to where I cant hear my Bose stereo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I think the tires are the original Goodyears. The car only has 40,000 miles on it! If I knew the tires were the problem it would be an easy fix I could get the dealer to fix before I bought the car.

I guess being ignorant about the sound level of what a Vette should have makes me wonder? I know some people like loud sounds, and I have a 72 Chevelle and a 1946 Chevy truck that have some performance sounds from the mufflers, but the Vette road noise is pretty bad. It gets bearable on smooth roads, but we have many that have the rough textured asphalt. Noise is a relative thing to each person, but to have to shout to the passenger and not be able to hear the Bose stereo very well, seems a bit odd to me!

Maybe if I would have driven a Vette before I would have something to compare it against, but this is my first time! For short runs to Houston or such, it woud be tolerable I guess, but a 3 hour drive it would be too much!

Dan Mascheck
If they are the original tires with 40K, I would think they should be replaced. I can't imagine them having much tread left. I installed new tires on my 2000 convertible this past summer and noticed quite an improvement in the ride as well as a slight reduction in road noise. In general, I don't find the road noise in my car loud or objectionable given that it is a sports car plus being a convertible. It does sound like you have some sort of problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I bought my 99 coupe it was loud..It had worn out Gyr run flats..I replaced with non run flats..put in a rear partition and now it is a very smooth and quiet ride ...[till I punch it]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New Tires

I think you may have the answer about changing the tires. I have had a noise problem before and changing to different tires quieted the ride significantly on our Yukon!

Dan Mascheck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Insulation

Now I know what you mean, and while I'm sure it would help, I still think the answer is getting rid of the original tires. They have 40,000 miles on them and they are the no flat or run flat tires. They still have good tread, but I'd bet my last nickel the tires are the problem and if I change them to Michelins or something comparable it will stop the road noise from the tires!

Dan Mascheck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now I know what you mean, and while I'm sure it would help, I still think the answer is getting rid of the original tires. They have 40,000 miles on them and they are the no flat or run flat tires. They still have good tread, but I'd bet my last nickel the tires are the problem and if I change them to Michelins or something comparable it will stop the road noise from the tires!

Dan Mascheck
Further to my earlier note above, the tires I installed were Goodyear non-run flats and I'm very happy with them. I also bought a small compressor to carry in the trunk and a repair kit in case I have a flat. I also have AAA plus which will get me a tow up to 100 miles to the location of my choice if necessary.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK, I spelled insulation wrong. By installing insulation in the cargo and cabin areas helps in reducing some road noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Insullation

The old tires seem to be a little stiff after 7 years and I still think they are the main culprit as far as the sound. Insullation would help no doubt, but it's hard for me to believe that someone would buy a Vette for enjoyment to have that much noise going down the road. All I can say is you need to ride in this car to understand what I'm talking about. Some noice I can understand! I have a 72 Chevelle with a 468 engine with a BDS8-71 blower that is more quiet than the Vette. My 3/4 ton Chevy Truck is quieter than the Vette.

Dan Mascheck

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put kumho non run flats on mine and now i can hear my bullet exhaust:crazy: :thud:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts