Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to run a couple things pass you folks. I want to replace my stock air filter & increase air flow. So. . . My options are:

1. Callaway Honker for the LS1,they tout a 26% increase air flow over the stock assembly, and they too, do not disturb anything other than the stock air filter housing ?

2. Halltech C5 Venom II, they say their system outflows any intake on the Market ? I like it because it really doesn't disturb any of the air intake system other than the filter and related housing ? the air bridge is either kept of another larger air bridge is another $275.00 ?

I know you all have your favorite, but my goal is to just "Improve air intake" as it pertains to having the car 'dyno-tuned' by a professional tuner with 17 years experence. I myself, don't really get on it much, Car has 14K miles and I'm planing to have a Dyno tune to get a few things 'tweeked' but I'm 60 so I really don't need to go over board with speed, just better pedal response, better air flow, smoother performance. So I narrowed it to the two above.

I looked at a whole slew of intakes till I was seeing them when I fell asleep. The 'Blackwing was nice, about half the price, but there's a lot of 'Relocation' work. (Another goal I wanted is a 'stock looking' engine bay)

I really discounted the VaraRam system as it's too complicted and if I read one horror story of an idiot running through deep standing water, I've read about a dozen where the enging is ruined with Hydrolocked.

I don't like the K&N system as again it involves moving the MAF sensor and if nothing else, it's UGLY. There are a couple of more C5 systems but I didn't like them. Now the Callaway Honker high flowand the Halltech Venom systems are about the same price $500.00 so price isn't really an issue. I just wondering about any of your experiences with the Callawaty against the Halltech system, you know Pro Vs Con sort of wringing out. I should mention I'm a NCRS type, so I like to keep things looking as stock as possible. Thank you !

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Any CAI is an improvement,buy what you can afford,you will notice the diff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any CAI is an improvement,buy what you can afford,you will notice the diff.
Well i picked the Callaway honker and the Halltech Venom II just because they seem to have the performance credentials. The price was about the same $499.00/ + or - $50.00. Now you can go to the auction site and there's all kinds of brand new intakes for $250- $275 made by an outfit called aFA or some are H&R filters. So my thinking that if I'm going to spend $500.00 I might as well go with a Callaway or a Halltech, two professional and well documented manufacturers. I'm just not sur which gives the best bang for your buck. I do not want a Vararam system, Just don't like them, but they are the only true 'Ramjet' system. :thud:

·
Registered
521 Posts
i did halltec killer bee on my 03 when i had it and i was making 550 rwhp on my build!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Since you went this route ...............make sure you now open up the front bumper openings so that you will get that fresh air you so desired.

You now have more choices to make. To install the Z06 screens and remove the fog light bezels or just leave the fog light bezels and drill lots of holes into them for that air supply. You may also want to install a front "hood seal" gasket to prevent unwanted water (wash & or rain) from wicking down onto the filter element when the hood is closed.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I have had good results from my Hurricane and it is pretty safe in water, but changing/cleaning the filter is a 2-hour+ job that involves cussing...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had good results from my Hurricane and it is pretty safe in water, but changing/cleaning the filter is a 2-hour+ job that involves cussing...

I discounted the 'Hurricane' for that very reason and it's ugly. But I have read the tech info on the Callaway and the blackwing seven times now, and as much as i like the Callaway, the Blackwing meets or exxceds the air flow over the Callaway that's it's just not worth the extra $150.00. I have looked all over the internet and have found the 2001-2004 LS1 blackwing for $239.00, but I have to consider if I want to add a air bridge or not. And on goes the mental testing . . .

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the Callaway on mine. After the install it has a nice clean look to it. You do no that the install involves cutting the shroud? You cant see it after cause the filter sits in the opening and covered by the top cover.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
i have a 4 yr old halltech stinger-which they no longer make, and i too have no idea which one i wanna upgrade too, just tired of the one i have sucking up hot engine bay air

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I run a VaraRam on my Z06

gets the job done

and air is forced via the 2 scoops on the front end of the car

But, There are many other good CAI available

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I saw a real nice dual cone chrome intake at a show a few weeks ago. I never thought much of these from a performance standpoint as I thought they were cosmetic only, however the owner claims he had a nice HP improvement which he then combined with a pro tune. It was an A4 vert.

FWIW...

:partyon:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
not a big fan of metal, conducts too much heat...and weighs too much

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
When I had my Corsa Pace Car exhaust with X-pipe installed, I was told that I would get a increase of around 15 horsepower and some improvement in torque too. The only thing I was interested in is the way the car sounded so the increase in horsepower was a non-factor for me.

After the install, I can honestly say that I haven't noticed crap. So if you are doing a cold intake for HP, that's just a little something to think about.

I must add though, my car does sound really good!

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
well junkman, maybe your sotp dyno is broken....or maybe you have a lil too much junk-in-the-trunk to notice lol

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
HP wise you're not really going to notice **** until you do the trifecta + a tune.

Trifecta = LT headers (usually come with X pipe), CAI, and cat back exhaust.

From what I've gathered through all the threads on intakes it's really just a personal preference on which you like the best. I went with Halltech when I had my vette mainly because of the ease in installation and I thought it looked good. :huh:

Of course you're going to have some die hards telling you their favorite brand makes some drastic number better HP with better airflow patterns and it scoops the air in rather than tumbling it blah blah. You'll be in about the same situation with either intake you pick from the two you have listed. Just don't buy some cheap ebay POS.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I just went with an AFE from Zip Corvette. Easy install and perfect fit and blue
filter looks great. Actually just a free flow intake system. Like K&N ect... but at 270.00 a lot easier to swallow. Seems a bit more responsive and sounds much better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts