Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading around on this......

are the rear brake rotors different on driver/ Passenger side ? these are rears that need replaced. everywhere im shopping state " driver side" and "passenger side"

these different? i cant see how?

· Registered
746 Posts
(I'm assuming you are referring to OEM replacement and not slotted rotors)
That is interesting and may have something to do with the internal cooling vanes and the direction they rotate.

However, you mentioned that both of yours need to be replaced, so just order a rear "pair" and I would think that would include a Port & Starboard side set of rotors.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

· Premium Member
4,941 Posts
For C5 there is right and left for front and rear. For C6 GM decided that even spinning backwards the slight reduction in efficiency of the cooling fins did not warrant making different rotors and so all C6 cars have LH rotors only. unless you get something like EBC rotors.

So do you want period correct or what will work?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a set delivered AC Delco that are both stamped for rears, driver side so the cooling fins only go one direction. i have a set today that are a upgrade im waiting to see if i want to go with them.
ill get some pics later on

· Registered
181 Posts
For C5 there is right and left for front and rear. For C6 GM decided that even spinning backwards the slight reduction in efficiency of the cooling fins did not warrant making different rotors and so all C6 cars have LH rotors only. unless you get something like EBC rotors.

So do you want period correct or what will work?

glad you posted the above info, because I had read that C5 GM rotors were not directional and I have been trying to chase down the accuracy on that for some time. I didn't really think it was a super critical issue, given the size and design of the openings, it would seem there wouldn't be time for much airflow that wasn't going to be pushed out anyway. But I still like to optimize the small details, it makes me feel better if my machines have some attempt toward optimization, even if fictional.

But now I see I had missed what I consider an actual deal breaker, Made in China. Of course I know China is perfectly capable of making brake rotors , I just don't care for their politics, their reputation for possible bootleg products, slave labor, or poor quality control. I also know China makes the majority of rotors used world wide, but I had naïvely assumed that since rotors are kind of heavy to ship, that GM had a long term domestic supplier for such a simply made part.

of course I was going to check the country of origin before I cracked cash, knowing the Chinese dominance in brake rotors. I think it was raybestos manufacturing the GM C5 brake parts at one time , so I once again kind of naively assumed an american supply chain, with such an old company name involved.

However, the other day I was investigating all things brake rotors ,and was watching some guy on YouTube do a budget end run to put bigger brakes on his C5. As a preliminary step to his final build he was using GM brake pads, because he knew they would fit, as he experimented with rotor fitment .

And in one of the video shots, the GM brake pad box read , "made in china", so that ended my fact checking for GM brake parts country of origin. I had wanted to go GM stock because it was simple, the system would still be optimized, and so many of the american aftermarket upgraded rotors were drilled or slotted to sell as a performance upgrade, whereas I wanted the greater swept area of a solid face rotor.

I need all four rotors so system balance will not be an issue. right now I am still shopping among the american suppliers I have identified so far. It seems most of the search engines don't supply a lot of answers when asking for american rotor manufacturers . Wilwood would support my local community, and offer a matching pad, but they are costly, slotted and drilled. I might go Hawk, but am still shopping and trying to sift through the vague "where are they really made"answers that are all over the place. I don't want to pay to return four rotors that used to be domestic, but are now Chinese. Or that specifications are subject to change, only to find that when I get the parts that the C5 stuff is now Chinese. I doubt the local auto parts stores, Oreilly or auto zone, sell american or quality. I guess it wouldn't kill me to check.

Any suggestions of american solid face rotors and/or street pads are entirely welcome. I consider personal experience from someone on the internet that I never met probably stronger than just a search engine answer, since those answers are subject to manipulation by the highest bidder.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the last batch was labeled " AC Delco" these were manufactured in Brazil, i will be returning these tonight as they were both driver side rotors for rear. the cooling fins are the only difference in the two.
so i went with an upgrade that is supposed to be delivered today, will see how they look and where it comes from. its late in season so I'm not in a hurry at all and will install myself.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
threw in towel - no more amazon larger auto part purchase..

AutoZone 2 rear rotors = differences ? cooling vanes that's it - direction that is for each side.

new pads and anti squeal on pad backing done.

for those doing this at home the Rear caliper bolts are ON THERE !!!! patience and persistence is the key - or 21 mm wrench and a 4lb hammer persuades them off.
CLEAN everything with wire brush and brake clean off! makes it nice and re assembled looks nicer too.
Pump brakes when you fire it up before test ride
enjoy the feeling of a job well done compared to the $599.99 plus tax a dealer would charge you.

thank you!

· DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,637 Posts
The first I did disc breaks got to the end of the driveway and went right across the street because I didn’t pump out the calibers.
I'd have a big problem. My drive is on a hill

· Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I was still living with my parents. Drive way a mile long hit brakes nothing hit again lock them up skid across street. Probably doing fifty the first stab on the brakes. Ended up in the yard across the street. Drove back home for a change of underwear. Probably 19 years old.

Coming home from work one day I decided to see how fast I could go up the driveway. Found out eighty was too fast locked up brakes one hundred feet from the house and skidded into the car port bounced off the front concrete block wall. Another change of underwear.

· Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
139 Posts
Just to add our own input;

All EBC Pads and Rotors are manufactured in the UK or USA and stick to OEM sizing as well as things like the cooling vanes. So if OEM have directional vanes or straight vanes, as do we.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts