Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2004 ALMS season will add Lime Rock Park and Portland International Raceway to the schedule and will feature a return to the beautiful Mid-Ohio Sports Car course. The Laguna Seca race has been moved to the end of the season and the Miami street circuit race has been dropped.

The 2004 American Le Mans Series Schedule of Events

Mar. 15-20 Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway, Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, 12 hours

June 25-27 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH, 2:45

July 2-5 Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, CT, 2:45

July 16-18 Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, CA, 2:45

July 23-25 Portland (OR) International Raceway, 2:45

Aug. 6-8 Mosport International Raceway, Bowmanville, ON, Can., 2:45

Aug. 20-22 Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI, 2:45.

Sept. 22-25 Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA, Petit Le Mans, 1,000 miles or 10 hours

Oct. 14-16 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA, 4:00

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I think We are planning to go to Mosport this year. Very nice track.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Loggins1 ...<br>
I think We are planning to go to Mosport this year. Very nice track.:thumbsup:<br>
If you want to take photos of the cars during the race go to turns 5A, 5B, 5C, collectively called Moss Corner. They will be going the slowest coming out of there and give you an opportunity to get blur-free photos. It's also one of the few spots where over-taking is possible. Stand on the outside of the turn. It's a nice walk from the paddock.

Canadian race fans are very well informed and since it's Ron Fellows home track they will generally be rooting for him. Nice people, nice track.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Originally posted by RT66Z06 ...<br>
If you want to take photos of the cars during the race go to turns 5A, 5B, 5C, collectively called Moss Corner. They will be going the slowest coming out of there and give you an opportunity to get blur-free photos. It's also one of the few spots where over-taking is possible. Stand on the outside of the turn. It's a nice walk from the paddock.

Canadian race fans are very well informed and since it's Ron Fellows home track they will generally be rooting for him. Nice people, nice track.<br>
Damn thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by REDGAR ...<br>
I wonder what happened to Washington DC?<br>
The promoters were unable to get the financing to stage the race. That is why there was no D.C. race this year, and no race in Mexico City as announced at the start of the 2003 season. The same thing happened to the Miami race for next year.

Street races are generally not as well attended as road courses. One reason is that no camping is available (a big deal, truly) and the parking is atrocious. Race fans also generally prefer a track with sight lines to multiple corners from a single vantage point. The owners of a road course can charge less per event because they stage multiple events. A street circuit is a one-shot, build-it-up tear-it-down affair, so it's much more expensive to buy a ticket.

Getting Mid-Ohio on the schedule is a very good thing. I would have preferred Watkins Glen to Lime Rock Park but I guess on balance it's still better than Miami.

With all the new manufacturers who have announced (or leaked) plans for the 2004 season it should be quite entertaining.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think We are planning to go to Mosport this year. Very nice track.:thumbsup:<br>
I was thinking the same thing. My kids would love to watch the LeMans type race cars.:excited:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JoeAngelicchio ...<br>
I was thinking the same thing. My kids would love to watch the LeMans type race cars.:excited:<br>
Lisle. Is that near Barrie? If so you're pretty close to Bowmanville, piece of cake.

Get paddock passes and take the kids to the Corvette paddock. Talk to Harry Turner, chief of GM racing developement. Tall black guy, very amiable (there's a photo of him with Doug Fehan on my web site). Tell him you're a Corvette fan and he'll get your kids' photos taken sitting in the C5-R and with the drivers if you pick the right time (Saturday after qualifying is the best time, or very early Sunday morning), autographs too. Or talk to Doug Fehan. Very nice guy, very public-relations oriented. He can arrange all the above as well. Tip: wear something that says "Corvette". Both of these guys will spend time talking and answering questions.

Ron Fellows is painfully shy (but he has a very dry wit and sense of humor). Johnny O'Connell is just the opposite, funny as hell, very approachable. Oliver Gavin is also very fan-oriented. Kelly Collins is friendly but introverted and focused (at least on race day). Andy Pilgrim is friendly and very accomodating. All things considered, they are the most gregarious bunch in the ALMS paddock.

Drivers from other teams who are approachable: Bill Auberlen, Hans Stuck, James Weaver, J.J. Lehto, and Johnny Herbert. As with anything else, if you ask them politely they'll pose for photos, show you the car, etc. They're smart, they know the fans make the series.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lisle. Is that near Barrie? If so you're pretty close to Bowmanville, piece of cake.<br>
I'm just 25 mins. SW of Barrie. You familiar with the area?
Thanks for the tips. The kids would just flip (well me too) if it was possible to sit in a C5R.:excited:

I would have gone this past summer but I realized to late that the series was at Mosport. I told the kids we were going to plan for next summer.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by JoeAngelicchio ...<br>
I'm just 25 mins. SW of Barrie. You familiar with the area?
I mis-spent a good deal of my youth in Ontario. Hockey and racing were the main lures.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I mis-spent a good deal of my youth in Ontario. Hockey and racing were the main lures.<br>
Mis Spent. Whats that mean. I love Ontario. Best Province in all of Canada. I wish I was there now. Getting kinda Home sick. I have relatives that live in Bowmanville so Ill stay with them and go to watch the race.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mis Spent. Whats that mean.
Sex, drugs, and Rock 'n Roll. You can throw in way too much time spent watching Junior A hockey games and attending road races.
Ontario was simply the venue.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So are you american or canadian?<br>
Are you with INS or DHS?

Here is a photo taken in June of 1971 at Mosport Park. It's a photo of Mark Donahue in the awesome Porsche 917-10 at Moss Corner at the end of the Can Am race won by Denny Hulme in the McClaren.

Here is the race winner, Denny Hulme, same corner, waving to the course workers on his cool-down lap.

Interesting to compare these with photos of the ALMS cars at the same corner.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Ok wait lemme guess your names Ray Smith. And you take pictures. And Im with Ins.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok wait lemme guess your names Ray Smith. And you take pictures. And Im with Ins.<br>
Your powers of observation and logical deduction are indeed profound. Show me some ID.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Your powers of observation and logical deduction are indeed profound. Show me some ID.<br>
Why thanks for the compliment. I left my Id in the car.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That would be your father's car, yes?<br>
How bout my Van huh thats mine. Well i dont own it but hey im 16.:stick:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts