Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the cooler line fitting hole size is on this thing? I was told it was a 14mm, but I have 14mm fitting and 6an fitting and neither one fit
I ordered Hydratech part #HBS9406, it goes in about a half turn and thats it, the 6an won't even start, to big.

Ideas?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I dunno about size specs, but I pulled the standard brass adaptors outta my '87, 700 I pulled,...screwed them into the 200 here now, and used my original 3/8 brake line compression fittings right off the store shelf....never leaked...

ME THINKS the adaptors are same as fits a 350-400 turbo...

:cheers:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I pulled the adaptor out of the 350 and it fits so its the same size. Now, how dio I id what size this thing is? It has a 1/4" hole and the outside of the threads are .530, slightly smaller than the 14mm adaptor I have. Is this thing 3/8" 1/4"? Pipe thread stuff never has made any sense to me

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
OK, I pulled the adaptor out of the 350 and it fits so its the same size. Now, how dio I id what size this thing is? It has a 1/4" hole and the outside of the threads are .530, slightly smaller than the 14mm adaptor I have. Is this thing 3/8" 1/4"? Pipe thread stuff never has made any sense to me
:crazy: :rolling: :rolling: Plumbers got their own language, for sure....

what WE call 5/8 pipe, they allow a 1/16 for walls, and it's 1/2 inch as copper pipe...the 1/2 inch galvanized is nearly 3/4 OD..... 3/4 galv is about 1" OD....

so that makes your adaptors there something like 1/4 or 3/8 NPT National Pipe Tap....it's threaded very slightly conical to when you screw it home it wedges in there like , well, what we wish for during sex, you know??.....

:rolling: :rolling: :WTF :cheers:

as for our tranny lines, mine measure 3/8 OD, so that's 1/4 inch ID, plumber's measure....I forget the fitting sizes....but most auto shops like NAPA have them....AZ /Pep boys for sure....

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Here is a chart that should help you.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipethreadsizing.html

Pipe is always measured by the ID.

Tubing is always measured by the OD.

Plumbers use 1/2" copper which is 5/8" OD.
A/C guys use 1/2" copper but it is tubing so it is really 1/2" OD.

Mix up their copper sweat fittings and watch the fun.:rolling:

U RAT< U DIRTY RAT.....that forces him to braze it....

My wife's son is a a/c mechanic...buzzyerNHELL right now too...100f temps ona cool day....
3+ week straight now....
in the shade.....

:devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 350 adaptot fit so I took it to home depot and figured it out

here is what it takes
http://anplumbing.com/
1/4 NPT to 6an

1 - 7 of 7 Posts