Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 c6 brake upgrade

As a member of socalevo i can get brembo brakes (4 piston front)2 piston rear). I own an evo and the brembo brake system works much better that stock c6 brakes. I can get them cheaqp as well because evo owners change out the brembo for something else.

Would these fit a 2005 C6?

·
Registered
206 Posts
EVO brakes on a C6:crazy: Doubt that would work, but am sure you could mod it too. Probably not worth it.

Upgrade the Rotors and pads from stock would be easier in my opinion if $$ is an issue.

Check out, Performance Friction Brakes:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is way more to brake systems than brand and piston count. COULD you make them fit, yes you could. Would it improve braking?, Maybe, maybe not. Give a good set of aftermarket pads a try, Carbotech, Hawk, and PFC come to mind. Also bleed the system and use a high performance brake fluid (ATE Super Blue, RBF600, etc) If thats not enough, get a system designed for a C6 from a reputable brand (Brembo, Stoptech, AP Racing, Wilwood).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The evo brakes are much better than stock c6 is like night and day.

I would like to spend 2000$ USD on a kit for all 4 wheels. Any ideas?
here is proof of how good the evo brembros work.

This test all the current fast cars for that year.

http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_0306_spdtest/index.html

They even have a z06 in the test.

60-0 in an evo is 106 feet. The stock c6 did it in 114 feet
The c5 zo6 braked did it in 105 feet.

Would it be worth it upgrade to a C6 stock to to C6 zo6 brake upgrade.

Also what wheel pack do i need to fit. I have 19 rear 18 inch front.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The evo might use a slightly more aggressive pad compound to get that few extra feet of stopping distance compared to the C6. A more aggressive pad on the stock c6 calipers should get you in the evo range.
Making that 60-0 stop multiple times is where the Evo would probably out brake the stock C6 calipers.
If you still want bigger brakes, get the C6Z brakes. They are much closer to "bolt on" than the Evo brembos, and have more pistons for better pad taper.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Chris,
I am not denying that the EVO brakes are good brakes, but what I am saying is that they are good on an EVO, not necessarily a vette. There are other factors such as piston size and master cylinder diameter that affect the overall gain and balance of the brake system and just because the calipers work well on the EVO doesnt mean a simple swap will make a C6 stop just as well. In the price range you are looking at, I would suggest the C6 Z06 kit IF you were dead set on a set of fixed calipers, you may need to upgrade to other parts of the C6Z06 hydraulic system in order to run these though, i'm not familiar with the swap. I think you'll find big improvements with a quality set of pads though and that would be my suggestion before you throw big money at the car.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Do some Brembo Rotors, And a set of Hawk or Carbotech pads:nuts:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
If they are Brembo GT. They will work with new brackets.

I bought a set of used Brembos and purchased the correct mounting brackets from Brembo.

:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got ceramic hawk brake pads front and rear. Any threads on how to install them? Should I have them installed? I was thinking of putting the pads on without bleeding the lines.

Ideas?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
The evo brakes are much better than stock c6 is like night and day.

I would like to spend 2000$ USD on a kit for all 4 wheels. Any ideas?
here is proof of how good the evo brembros work.

This test all the current fast cars for that year.

http://www.motortrend.com/womt/112_0306_spdtest/index.html

They even have a z06 in the test.

60-0 in an evo is 106 feet. The stock c6 did it in 114 feet
The c5 zo6 braked did it in 105 feet.

Would it be worth it upgrade to a C6 stock to to C6 zo6 brake upgrade.

Also what wheel pack do i need to fit. I have 19 rear 18 inch front.
Just so you know the only difference between C5 brakes and C5 Z06 brakes is the color of the calipers

And C6 base/Z51 brakes are an evolution if not the same brakes as the C5 The mane difference in performance in those braking systems are the tires followed closely by weight.

What others in this thread are trying to tell you is the Mitsu Evo braking system is set up for a car that caries nearly 60% of its weight on the front tires with equal size tires front and rear. That means the front brakes are doing the loin's share of the braking while the rears do very little.

The C6 vette has near 50/50 weight distribution with larger tires in the rear, this allows the Corvette to use more rear brake bias. This means if you simply drop evo rotors and calipers on a C6, you will be over working the rear calipers and rotors which will lead to premature failure

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Just so you know the only difference between C5 brakes and C5 Z06 brakes is the color of the calipers

And C6 base/Z51 brakes are an evolution if not the same brakes as the C5 The mane difference in performance in those braking systems are the tires followed closely by weight.

What others in this thread are trying to tell you is the Mitsu Evo braking system is set up for a car that caries nearly 60% of its weight on the front tires with equal size tires front and rear. That means the front brakes are doing the loin's share of the braking while the rears do very little.

The C6 vette has near 50/50 weight distribution with larger tires in the rear, this allows the Corvette to use more rear brake bias. This means if you simply drop evo rotors and calipers on a C6, you will be over working the rear calipers and rotors which will lead to premature failure
The Brembo Calipers are not application specific. The C6 front/rear brake balance is controlled by a brake balance module.

·
Registered
41 Posts
While perhaps not truly "application specific" I would certainly hope they were selected and engineered for the requirements of the Evo based upon weight distribution and wheelbase.

The Corvette may have a brake balance module for controlling pressure proportioning (vs older manual valving) but I assure you brake balance and bias is also well engineered into the choice of parts.

If none of this really mattered you simply have the same parts on each end of every car. It does matter and is designed with some criteria from the get-go. While the Corvette has near equal size front and rear rotors compared to other cars it also has (by design) less rear piston area. That's built in brake balance. It does not rely solely on any valving. Generally speaking the rears have about half the area of the fronts.

The amount of pre engineered bias varies greatly by vehicle. As Darth rightly points out a car such as a FWD Cobalt has far less rear bias than a Vette does. The weight distribution has a huge impact. The reason a Porsche brakes so well (and in part can live better on drilled rotors) is that it exploits far more rear brake in aiding stopping then other cars- by being again; much closer to a 50/50 weight distribution.

When you're moving parts around from car to car to car you be wise to review what does what and how. Clearly about any part 'can' be made to work on another car. How well it works is another story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The pads and rotors are installed. Paid 150$ US to have it installed. Here is what I figured out. I bought the car used and the brakes made no noise. Turns out the rotors are warped and the pads were worn. It's not fair to compare c6 brakes that were abused to BREMBO brakes. You guys made an excellent point about the weight distribution of the evo. It is 60/40 f/r. It has been my dream to own a corvette and I was sad that a car twice as fast had poor brakes. The extra power is something i did not factor in as well. If the corvette had 271 hp I am positive the brakes would work fine.

To be honest I love the look of having rims with the HUGE brake caliber.

After I break in these pads and rotors I will let you all know how it worked out. It's like apples and oranges you cannot really compare the two.

I think the hawk ceramic pads with generic rotors should do fine.

Thank you all for your time and effort.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
While perhaps not truly "application specific" I would certainly hope they were selected and engineered for the requirements of the Evo based upon weight distribution and wheelbase.

The Corvette may have a brake balance module for controlling pressure proportioning (vs older manual valving) but I assure you brake balance and bias is also well engineered into the choice of parts.

If none of this really mattered you simply have the same parts on each end of every car. It does matter and is designed with some criteria from the get-go. While the Corvette has near equal size front and rear rotors compared to other cars it also has (by design) less rear piston area. That's built in brake balance. It does not rely solely on any valving. Generally speaking the rears have about half the area of the fronts.

The amount of pre engineered bias varies greatly by vehicle. As Darth rightly points out a car such as a FWD Cobalt has far less rear bias than a Vette does. The weight distribution has a huge impact. The reason a Porsche brakes so well (and in part can live better on drilled rotors) is that it exploits far more rear brake in aiding stopping then other cars- by being again; much closer to a 50/50 weight distribution.

When you're moving parts around from car to car to car you be wise to review what does what and how. Clearly about any part 'can' be made to work on another car. How well it works is another story.
Thanks.
So what are the differences between the same Wilwood Calipers when applied to a C6 Corvette as opposed to an Evo? If you know Brembo caliper differences that would be great but, the Wilwood differences will provide a point of reference.

FYI, the Evo weighs less than 200 lbs more than the C6 and has a front rear weight balance of 57/43 as opposed to the C6's 51/49.Wheel base is less than an inch different and track (60.8 f/r) is similar to the C6 (62.1f/60.7r).

It will be very interesting to hear what differences in calipers these small specification differences require.

:cheers:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Both Wilwood 13"kits use the same BSL6 caliper with the same 4.06sq" of piston area.

The Covette rear kit has 3.0" vs the Evo kit of 1.5". All else being the same; that's 8% more rear bias for the Vette.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts