Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I took my 05 C6 to the stealer/dealer today to have a clutch pedal spring replaced - simple job - not to expensive. Well the Service Manager just called and told me that my Clutch Master Cylinder broke. I asked how this could have happen and he told me that the technician simply depressed the clutch and it never returned back to the orginal position. This apparently is caused by a blown clutch master cylinder.

I asked how a master cylinder could work and then just break. He said these things happen. - yea sure they do.

Needless to say I asked what they plan to do about it and they said they would order the part ($250.00) and install it (3-4 hours of labour) and the cost would be my problem.

Don't these dealer accept some responsiblity for their actions, particularly since the vehicle was in their care. What if they ran over a nail and blew a tire - who is responsible - me.

Now that I have that off my chest can someone tell how a clutch master cylinder can work fine one moment and not the next. I never felt anything when driving.

The car has 45K Km and not driven hard.

Your thoughts would be helpful

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ask to talk with the GM rep in your district. It's a hydralic system. They don't just break, especially in only 45k miles. I've never had to replace mine (2005 w/55k miles), and, $250 seems way high to me.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There is a design flaw for the C6 Clutch master known for years that causes master to fail

For labor the dealer has their head up their ass as it should take less then 45 minutes to do a swap

Problem can be fixed if you take the master apart and you will find at the end of the piston plunger 2 parts popped off the end of plunger shaft.
Fix so that it cannot pop off again as when the seal at the end comes off the cylinder can no longer create the fluid pressure

Good Evening,

I took my 05 C6 to the stealer/dealer today to have a clutch pedal spring replaced - simple job - not to expensive. Well the Service Manager just called and told me that my Clutch Master Cylinder broke. I asked how this could have happen and he told me that the technician simply depressed the clutch and it never returned back to the orginal position. This apparently is caused by a blown clutch master cylinder.

I asked how a master cylinder could work and then just break. He said these things happen. - yea sure they do.

Needless to say I asked what they plan to do about it and they said they would order the part ($250.00) and install it (3-4 hours of labour) and the cost would be my problem.

Don't these dealer accept some responsiblity for their actions, particularly since the vehicle was in their care. What if they ran over a nail and blew a tire - who is responsible - me.

Now that I have that off my chest can someone tell how a clutch master cylinder can work fine one moment and not the next. I never felt anything when driving.

The car has 45K Km and not driven hard.

Your thoughts would be helpful

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Clutch pedal sticking is a known problem usually fixable by changing the fluid. In the future examine your fluid regularly and siphon and replace when it starts to discolor. Also switching to premium fluid helps.

Clutch Pedal Sticking to the floor

This is a common problem. You should siphon and replace clutch fluid as soon as it begins to discolor.

I use a turkey baster siphon but a friend uses aquarium tubing as as siphon:thumbsup:

I run Motul 600o clutch/brake fluid and bleed/change after every track day.

:cheers:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about the frustration with the dealership. If you do get an opportunity, contacting the district manager would not be a bad idea.

If you need Customer Assistance' help you can contact them at 800.222.1020. Sometimes it helps a lot, and other times it is not as effective to call but I figured I would give you the information anyways.

They will try to work with the dealership as a sort of liaison between you and the dealer.

These are options. I do hope you have luck with the solution.

Brent
GM Customer Service

1 - 6 of 6 Posts