Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Steve. While I havent personally seen any examples of LS7 failure of this magnitude I have heard of one or two. There arent any TSB's or anything related to LS7 failure but one thing I am aware of and seems a little, well, odd to me....is that GM is having dealers ship complete Z06's back to Bowling Green to have engine replacements performed, the dealers are instructed to do no work to the car if an engine replacement is needed except prepare it for shipment to Kentucky.

This includes 2007's. This is odd because typical GM protocol has engine replaced as complete units for 6-10 months after their release with no internal work allowed until the engineers can see a few failed parts, then the restriction is lifted and all work is done in dealer. This goes far beyond that as the engine should be out of the "quarantine" period, and Ive never heard of shipping anything back to the plant to have work done, especially on an almost 4 year old platform and with a second year engine.

Not that this helps....but be prepared for this news if you go to a dealer, they REALLY do have to ship your baby to Bowling Green.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There arent any TSB's or anything related to LS7 failure but one thing I am aware of and seems a little, well, odd to me....is that GM is having dealers ship complete Z06's back to Bowling Green to have engine replacements performed, the dealers are instructed to do no work to the car if an engine replacement is needed except prepare it for shipment to Kentucky.

This includes 2007's. This is odd because typical GM protocol has engine replaced as complete units for 6-10 months after their release with no internal work allowed until the engineers can see a few failed parts, then the restriction is lifted and all work is done in dealer. This goes far beyond that as the engine should be out of the "quarantine" period, and Ive never heard of shipping anything back to the plant to have work done, especially on an almost 4 year old platform and with a second year engine.
This is news to me, and contrary to a GM memo from last year that basically stopped the automatic replacement (rather than repair) of engines as of sometime around April, 2006. Maybe they subsequently decided that having the dealer service departments tinker with the innards of these babies is a bad idea. :surprised

Anyway, in response to the original poster, there have been some engine failures where the end result is main bearing damage, usually preceded (or coincident with) very low oil pressure indications. Some of us wonder whether the low oil pressure causes the bearing failure, or whether the bearing fails first for some reason resulting in low oil pressure due to collateral damage to the oiling system. If GM knows the answer, they sure ain't spilling the beans. :cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Steve, did you notice any buildup in metal-partikles in the oil when an oil-change was performed? Or any unusual noise from the engine? I noticed an unusual high partikle buildup in my Z06 at the last oil-change, including a clicking noise from the engine. I am working with GM on the problem as we speak. Would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Feel sorry for you man:surprised
Let us know what the outcome is:huh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts