Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, have had two instances of the shifter locking in park after a long idle (not sure if that has anything to do with it, but seems to happen then) Car has 16K on the clock.

Looked through the forums and how-to videos but only found one engineer type that decided to troubleshoot the issue. He found a bad microswitch with high resistance. Most others just order a new shifter assembly.

Any thoughts on this before I rip apart my console? I have a new Chev C6 Shifter but have that gut feeling that this may not be what is going on with the car.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,409 Posts
I moved your post to its own thread. I haven't heard of that before but maybe someone has.

BTW Welcome to DC

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Before removing everything you can either track down the issue or perform a hack that removes the blocking of the shifter.

The question is going to be how do feel about taking your console out and working inside?

There are a couple of position switchs in the shifter to determine the location of said shifter that have a tendency to not work correctly.

I don't have this issue in other cars so I think that GM have quality issues that they aren't really addressing.

let me know,

fluffy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had their shift lever lock in park when you try to shift out of park? When I start my 2005 C6 auto I put my foot on the brake push the release lever on the shifter and it will not come out of park its locked up? I have tried restarting the car and go thru the same procedure and its still locked in park. Sometimes after I play with it it will release out of park but now it dos it almost all the time. Is there a release switch on the shifter that releases it when you put the brake on and push hte release 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 button on the shifter?
Any help you can give me would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Here are a few threads I found discussing your issue. I hope any of them can help. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had their shift lever lock in park when you try to shift out of park? When I start my 2005 C6 auto I put my foot on the brake push the release lever on the shifter and it will not come out of park its locked up? I have tried restarting the car and go thru the same procedure and its still locked in park. Sometimes after I play with it it will release out of park but now it dos it almost all the time. Is there a release switch on the shifter that releases it when you put the brake on and push hte release 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 button on the shifter?
Any help you can give me would be appreciated!!
Unfortunately there is not a shift lock release present on the shifter. What has happened to you is quite common with the C6 corvette basically your internals within the shifter are failing. Some claim to have some success doing a repair of it , I am not one of them. I typically replace the whole shifter unit. It is a fairly easy job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts