Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone installed a bluetooth solution in a Corvette that uses the existing hardware (mic, buttons on mirror, ...)?

Google has returned this http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

Further research and interaction with support has shown that:

1. Product replaces OnStar box in Corvette
2. Some Corvette owners have used and it is working (battery drain apparently fixed).

Anyway, ideas for alternative products or feedback regarding this product?

:cheers:

Fluffy who is in France and for whom OnStar ain't working

·
Super Moderator
10,121 Posts
I installed a Parrot 3200 ...

...using a custom Corvette harness - all bought on ebay. It all wired right up to my '07 Nav unit and works flawlessly.

The 3200 was recommended to me because the mic is a higher quality and more sophisticated than the smaller, less expensive Parrots. Mine works great, even with the top off ... but when the top is off I need to turn my head to speak directly at the mic.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

The thing that turns me off with the parrot is that I have to open and install quite a few things in the dashboard. I don't mind taking the engine apart, however I loath touching the dashboard.

I've never had good experiences with putting the dashboard back together. :lookinup:

The avantage I see to the initial solution is that I remove the onstar module and put in this module - which is a plug and play operation.

:cheers:

fluffy.

·
Super Moderator
10,121 Posts
I was quite aprehensive about getting into all the electronics in the dash, yet I was ambitious too. I also bought a custom wire harness for an ipod connection/Nav control and HD radio module. After buying a breathless shifter that I needed to install, along with a colormatching console + dash pod, I finally worked up the courage to remove the stock pieces and dive in.

Turns out the folks who make these custom harnesses are outstanding at what they do, and at walking you through any stupid mistakes you ... er, I make. Everything works as advertised. FWIW

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, I do have an additional question: what did you get for the iPod?

Thanks,

Fluffy.

·
Super Moderator
10,121 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, I do have an additional question: what did you get for the iPod?

Thanks,

Fluffy.
I don't see the purchase on this computer, so it must be my work computer. We're closed untill a week from Monday, but I'll try to get in there and get the name. It was an ebay seller with great recommends and I did have to call him to sort an issue out that I misunderstood.

I WILL get you the name.

LT

·
Super Moderator
10,121 Posts
Hey Fluff, Things settled down a bit today and I had a chance to search ebay for the ipod interface / harness I bought. The seach shows several more suppliers available versus back when I bought mine. Regardless, if you will look at ebay item # 390177833291 from Pacific Accessory Corporation, you will see the one I installed and use today. As I said earlier, I also installed a Parrot with a custom-made-for-C6-harness at the same time.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Just a little contrarian input: I have a 2009 with Bluetooth. After using it regularly for most of the 2 years I've had the car, I recently turned Bluetooth off on my phone. The interior noise in the Corvette makes it hard for people you are talking to to understand what you are saying. I was constantly having to repeat myself, and if I was talking to an automated phone system, forget it. It was bad with the mild2wild switch closed and impossible with it open. Even the car's Bluetooth system made me repeat my commands over and over. It's such a hassle, I just use my phone directly now. I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just a little contrarian input: I have a 2009 with Bluetooth. After using it regularly for most of the 2 years I've had the car, I recently turned Bluetooth off on my phone. The interior noise in the Corvette makes it hard for people you are talking to to understand what you are saying. I was constantly having to repeat myself, and if I was talking to an automated phone system, forget it. It was bad with the mild2wild switch closed and impossible with it open. Even the car's Bluetooth system made me repeat my commands over and over. It's such a hassle, I just use my phone directly now. I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem?
I had the same problem, even something a little more interesting. I was going up to visit my uncle in my GS while my mom was following me in my 06 at the time and I had both of our phones programmed into the bluetooth of the GS and it kept picking up her phone as she drove behind me. Was quite interesting to try to hold a conversation over the phone.

·
Super Moderator
10,121 Posts
Interesting issues. Parrot makes a small model, CK3000 blue tooth, that will fit in the ash tray. I almost bought that model, but was advised by a Parrot dealer that for a "noisy Corvette," the higher quality microphone that comes 3200 would be needed.

I mounted the very small black mic with double back tape, into the upper left corner of the windshield. With the top on I have never had a problem with anyone hearing me. With the top off, it becomes pretty useless over 35-40 MPH depending on the outside conditions.

I hate to say this, but perhaps GM used an off-the-shelf mic from a Caddy or some other model. It's possible that you only need to upgrade your mic if you are having problems. I'd guess that you might be able to even bypass the stock mic and use a small, surface mounted, directional mic like mine. JAT :partyon:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree with Tex and Phantom, I have stopped using the factory bluetooth in my car as well because of the poor sound quality. You hate to take a step backwards in sound quality when using a bluetooth adapter but the factory one sure does suck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts