Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on purchasing a new 2008 c6 within the next month, I was wondering if ordering the dual mode exhaust is worth it or buying an aftermarket exhaust Corsa/ Borla is the way to go. I plan on adding heads/ cam down the road so that will affect my decision. Any feed back from owners w/ the dual mode exhaust would be appreciated, thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
No input, however I am also interested in the feedback. The one thing I noticed is that the tips on the dual exhaust are not larger than standard exhaust and not as big as the Z06 exhaust tips.

I personally like the more aggressive pro tips and sound of the Corsa Indy, so I'm wondering whether the GM offering is better than modding the exhaust.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Don't know about the LS3 / 08 vettes, but I can tell you that I love the dual mode exhaust on my Z06... I wish my C6 coupe had a bit more of an aggressive sound to it under acceleration, but I wouldn't want it loud all the time... That’s one feature of the Z06 I really like... Especially with the mild to wild switch....

I would say go into your local Chevy dealer for a sound check... If you’re a serious buyer I am sure they would accommodate you.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would strongly recommend the NPP option. I just put my deposit on an 08 and made sure it had NPP. I walked away from an otherwise exact same car at another dealership b/c it didn't have NPP. Check out the thread about LG mods for the '08...almost 500 HP with their mods and the NPP...if you haven't heard it in person and driven it, you should before making a decision. It is very cool, loud right at start up, then quiet until 3500, and then nice and loud when you get on it but still quiet cruisin' on the highway...no other exhaust system will do that-and with aftermarket, you risk having too much noise cruising...

Also, if you want loud all the time, you can pull the fuse, or I am told, there is an aftermarket product that you can actually set up to use a key fob to control when the NPP opens...kind of "on-demand" loud.

Should be getting mine Tues or Wed of this week...

A

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have it on my 08 C6. I would certainly buy it again. Quiet under normal driving and acceptable at WOT with factory cats. It does have a rumble at idle that the standard C6 exhaust does not have. It is not prartuculary a good sound but still quieter than the aftermarket exhausts.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sounds great. I wonder if you can purchase aftermarket (larger) exhaust tips similar to the Z06. That way it looks as aggressive as it sounds.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds great. I wonder if you can purchase aftermarket (larger) exhaust tips similar to the Z06. That way it looks as aggressive as it sounds.
The standard 08 C6 NPP tips are 3 1/2" diameter. To me this is big and looks good.

Any bigger and it might like like a ricer with four fart pipes!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The standard 08 C6 NPP tips are 3 1/2" diameter. To me this is big and looks good.

Any bigger and it might like like a ricer with four fart pipes!
But aren't they the same as stock C6 exhaust? I was hoping for the NPP tips to match the Z06 tips. Nothing too big, and certainly nothing like a Ricer lawn mower exhaust.

I have Corsa Indy Pro Tips on my C5 and was looking for something similar to that size.

·
Registered
277 Posts
But aren't they the same as stock C6 exhaust? I was hoping for the NPP tips to match the Z06 tips. Nothing too big, and certainly nothing like a Ricer lawn mower exhaust.

I have Corsa Indy Pro Tips on my C5 and was looking for something similar to that size.
Maybe somebody with a standard C6 exhaust can reply but I think the standard is 3". How big are your Corsa?

·
Registered
754 Posts
From the press release on Rick's site for the 08:

Exhaust system – Optional on ‘08 Coupe and Convertible models is a new, two-mode performance exhaust system. Similar in design and function to the system used on the Z06, the dual-mode exhaust uses vacuum-actuated outlet valves, which control engine noise during low-load operation, but open for maximum performance during high-load operation. It is not identical to the Z06 system; the Coupe/Convertible uses a 2.5-inch-diameter exhaust, while the Z06 uses a three-inch system.

With the new, dual-mode performance exhaust, power output for Coupe/Convertible rises from 430 horsepower (321 kW) and 424 lb.-ft. of torque (575 Nm) to 436 horses (325 kW) and 428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm). This system gives the Corvette a more aggressive exhaust sound character that will appeal to performance enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

no the tips are a little larger. not much but just enough that side by side with another c6 you can really tell.

here is a couple of short vidoes i took of a 08 starting up and at idle

·
Registered
56 Posts
I brought my 08 Z51 home Friday. I put 100 miles on it with the factory exhaust the first day. As some of the members can attest, I agonized over the NPP option for months. In the end, I opted for the standard exhaust, and had a Corsa Sport delivered the day I brought the Corvette home. After having her in my possession for 18 hours, I lifted her and put the Corsa on. No doubt, for me it was the right option. I didn't want to wait until 3500 rpm to hear some strength. This system was designed to sound incredible at ANY rpm. Nice strong (not obnoxious) idle, rippin' acceleration sound, and at cruise, can't be much (if any) louder than stock. My wife and I can whisper to each other at 70/75 mph cruise. Quiet when I want it at any rpm, aggressive volume when you want at any rpm. I can cruise mainstreet without anyone noticing, or gear down and hear the pipes if I want. My wife and I are conservative doctors in small town Iowa. This system is not too loud! I could personally handle it a bit louder, but I know this is the perfect system for me. If you want loud, look elsewhere. If you want strong and aggressive with quiet highway. This system is the king. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I brought my 08 Z51 home Friday. I put 100 miles on it with the factory exhaust the first day. As some of the members can attest, I agonized over the NPP option for months. In the end, I opted for the standard exhaust, and had a Corsa Sport delivered the day I brought the Corvette home. After having her in my possession for 18 hours, I lifted her and put the Corsa on. No doubt, for me it was the right option. I didn't want to wait until 3500 rpm to hear some strength. This system was designed to sound incredible at ANY rpm. Nice strong (not obnoxious) idle, rippin' acceleration sound, and at cruise, can't be much (if any) louder than stock. My wife and I can whisper to each other at 70/75 mph cruise. Quiet when I want it at any rpm, aggressive volume when you want at any rpm. I can cruise mainstreet without anyone noticing, or gear down and hear the pipes if I want. My wife and I are conservative doctors in small town Iowa. This system is not too loud! I could personally handle it a bit louder, but I know this is the perfect system for me. If you want loud, look elsewhere. If you want strong and aggressive with quiet highway. This system is the king. IMHO.

ok Hawkeye faithful. we want pics of the 08, no piccys no talky hahaha
just kidding would love to see the car though. I live in texas but I am from Ohio State! Buckeye land!

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Go Big Ten" is one thing we have in common! No, seriously, the Ohio State/Iowa game at Kinnick last year was one of the highlights of my life- right behind the birth of our 4 boys, and the delivery of my Corvette. It was cool being in the primetime atmosphere. Go Hawks! On Iowa! Go Buckeyes! (every weekend their not playing Iowa).

When I take the pics tonight, I'll have the boys in their Hawkeye jerseys, just for you.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
"Go Big Ten" is one thing we have in common! No, seriously, the Ohio State/Iowa game at Kinnick last year was one of the highlights of my life- right behind the birth of our 4 boys, and the delivery of my Corvette. It was cool being in the primetime atmosphere. Go Hawks! On Iowa! Go Buckeyes! (every weekend their not playing Iowa).

When I take the pics tonight, I'll have the boys in their Hawkeye jerseys, just for you.
OK I'M gonna have to break out the ohio state pics. this is a very special picture to me. it is at the woody hayes ctr before the Indiana game last year. we are standing in front of the national championship trophy. what makes this pic so special is it was our first game ever at The Shoe. my dad, my brother, and his 2 boys. 3 generations and this was all our first game, needless to say we were all excited and the Bucks murdered the hoosiers.

OK NOW BACK TO THE EXHAUST SO I DONT HIJACK A THREAD. I DONT WANT THE DUAL MODE EXHAUST EITHER, FOR THE MONEY ITS JUST OK NOT GREAT AND I CAN ADD A CAT BACK FLOWMASTER FOR AROUND 550.00 AND DONT HAVE TO PAY 6 OR 7% INTEREST ON 1195.00 FOR 5 YEARS.

·
Registered
690 Posts
These are all valid points and "to each their own--live and let live" but one thing I considered was when I start modding my car, I'll keep the NPP in place since LG got such strong numbers with it. I thought about getting the car with the standard exhaust, and even called LG to get prices. BUT, after I mod it with headers and high-flow cats, I think it would be too loud for me with an aftermarket cat back (in order to get the same power). Also, while I will be paying $1195 for the NPP, I don't have to have a mechanic mess with it until I am ready for headers/CAI and I didn't pay for the stock system only to replace it with equally or higher priced cat backs.

For full time loud, you can pull the fuse and leave them open all the time.

One other thought- there is a mechanical component to the NPP and so therefore something else to go wrong down the road...

Oh yeah...go ACC...can't wait for November...go Blue Devils

A

·
Registered
160 Posts
He is right about the mechanical component that could fail in the future. I like the sound they make tho.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I did already install the Corsa, as you can see in the pic, and love it. Car and Driver did say that the NPP dual mode was a "must have."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see everyone is split 50/50, makes it even tougher to decide:thud: great feedback though I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts