Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I just ordered my 2008 Corvette with the LS3. Is it necessary to wait for r&d and engineering to reconfigure aftermarket exhaust systems for this motor, or will they just be using the existing C6 systems?
2. What are people's suggestions for a system that is more aggressive than stock, but not obnoxious, with very little change over stock at 70mph? I have a series 40 flowmaster on my new silverado and I love it. Hedman headers, high flow cat, and Imco can on my 95 Suburban, too loud.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I understand you can get the Z06 exhaust with bypass on the 08 C6. That would save you considerable coin and a little weight over aftermarket exhaust.

:cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
1. I just ordered my 2008 Corvette with the LS3. Is it necessary to wait for r&d and engineering to reconfigure aftermarket exhaust systems for this motor, or will they just be using the existing C6 systems?
2. What are people's suggestions for a system that is more aggressive than stock, but not obnoxious, with very little change over stock at 70mph? I have a series 40 flowmaster on my new silverado and I love it. Hedman headers, high flow cat, and Imco can on my 95 Suburban, too loud.
I got my LS3 over the weekend and it is a M6 with the optional exhaust and Z51. It has a little rumble on the idle and startup but when you excellerate it sounds like a stock exhaust. I only has 25 miles on it currently so I have not floored it yet to here what it sounds like with the dampers open. It does not have the constant loud sound of the Borla that I had on my 05 which I found to be irritating.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Highly doubtful on both counts

What's highly doubtful? You can get the valved exhaust...from the factory on a non-Z06. That's an established fact. That's one of the reasons the 2008 has something like 36 more hp than your 07. Sorry...

·
Registered
97 Posts
What's highly doubtful? You can get the valved exhaust...from the factory. That's an established fact.

Not talking about the valved exhaust. It's the comment about cost savings and EXPECIALLY the weight savings of the valved over aftermarket. There is no way the valved weighs less than the Borla Stinger and probably most of the other aftermarkets outside of the overweight Corsa's, and based on what I paid for the Borlas, no way the vaved costs less.

As far as all that horsepower gain on the 08 from the valved exhaust, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Whatever GM gets from that exhaust, aftermarket will get more

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Whatever GM gets from that exhaust, aftermarket will get more
OK, you understand that the valved exhaust can be ordered from the factory--fine. Who knows about the weight savings...it's probably within a couple of pounds anyway.

But as far as the aftermarket getting more hp than the valvers--no way. Since 2005, the aftermarket exhaust gains found on previous generations never materialized on the C6. Now you have what is essentially and open exhaust....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Who knows about the weight savings...it's probably within a couple of pounds anyway.

A 'Couple of Pounds' means tenths of seconds to serious racers and enthusiasts, and it means thousands of dollars and countless man hours of research and development for both automotive and aftermarket manufacturers.

After replacing the exhaust on my 2007, I noticed a SIGNIFICANT weight difference between the stock exhaust and the aftermarket, which undoubtedly assists both performance and fuel mileage.

In response to the snide comment about the '08 having more horsepower than the '07, that comes from the LS3 Motor having a larger displacement, not the exhaust.

And besides, the blue for the 2008 is just, well...:rolling:

Lemans Blue is the best blue out there, so I am very satisfied with my decision to go with the 2007. I can get the extra 36 horsepower with three very simple modifications.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
A 'Couple of Pounds' means tenths of seconds to serious racers and enthusiasts, and it means thousands of dollars and countless man hours of research and development for both automotive and aftermarket manufacturers.

After replacing the exhaust on my 2007, I noticed a SIGNIFICANT weight difference between the stock exhaust and the aftermarket, which undoubtedly assists both performance and fuel mileage.

In response to the snide comment about the '08 having more horsepower than the '07, that comes from the LS3 Motor having a larger displacement, not the exhaust.

And besides, the blue for the 2008 is just, well...:rolling:

Lemans Blue is the best blue out there, so I am very satisfied with my decision to go with the 2007. I can get the extra 36 horsepower with three very simple modifications.

Whoah! Easy there fella.

It's all fun and games here...no snide comments unless you take them that way.

1. 'A couple of pounds' means nothing to you, me, or nearly every other 'enthusiast' on this board with a standard C6 (unless your name is Lou G.) or you're planning on doing some serious mods for the track.

2. None of the dynos I have seen since October 2004 saw any increase in hp with corsas, borlas, or any of the other aftermarket manufacturers...until you throw on a set of headers.

3. The preliminary stats that I've seen on this board and elsewhere do have different hp figures for cars with standard 2008 exhaust vs. open 2008 exhaust--although it's not a huge difference.

4. LBM is, in fact, a much better looking blue than the Jetstream.

5. Do those same three mods to the 2008 and you will be damn close to Z06 territory.

Aim high!

·
Registered
939 Posts
:cheers:

Any recommendations on Headers as I'm in the market for them?

And right you are about not getting squat from Cat-Backs, I figure with the K&N, a Full Exhaust, and a Tune (the magic three) I'll be roasting '08s in no time :thumbsup:

Thanks for the clarification, all friends here!

·
Registered
232 Posts
kooks, american and lg headers are all very good from what ive heard. I think lg headers are made by borla:lookinup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
kooks, american and lg headers are all very good from what ive heard. I think lg headers are made by borla:lookinup:
So I suppose the LG header combo would integrate better with the Stinger Cat-Back I have?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Whoah! Easy there fella.

It's all fun and games here...no snide comments unless you take them that way.

1. 'A couple of pounds' means nothing to you, me, or nearly every other 'enthusiast' on this board with a standard C6 (unless your name is Lou G.) or you're planning on doing some serious mods for the track.

2. None of the dynos I have seen since October 2004 saw any increase in hp with corsas, borlas, or any of the other aftermarket manufacturers...until you throw on a set of headers.

3. The preliminary stats that I've seen on this board and elsewhere do have different hp figures for cars with standard 2008 exhaust vs. open 2008 exhaust--although it's not a huge difference.

4. LBM is, in fact, a much better looking blue than the Jetstream.

5. Do those same three mods to the 2008 and you will be damn close to Z06 territory.

Aim high!

Correct me if I am wrong which I have no doubt someone will if I am but the factory exhaust and the new motor is listed at 430 bhp and if you get the Z06 exhaust with valves it is 436. Now any increase in bhp is a good thing but I don't know what that translates to in time or seat of the pants feel.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong which I have no doubt someone will if I am but the factory exhaust and the new motor is listed at 430 bhp and if you get the Z06 exhaust with valves it is 436. Now any increase in bhp is a good thing but I don't know what that translates to in time or seat of the pants feel.
It is not the Z06 exhaust. Stats:

Z06: 3" pipe with flapper valves

Base C6 exhaust: 2.5" pipe, no flapper valves

Optional C6 exhaust: 2.5" pipe with flapper valves

1 - 16 of 16 Posts