Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I will have to wait for Maven or another GM Expert to reply. Sorry.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i would also like to know the answer to this...bump

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts

here it is in my weekly constraint update.
We were told it would be able to be programmed, but the key would not work as it is smaller.....

I'm sure once the 2008's roll in late July, we will see how this plays out, you should not be able to order them until 2008's are being built, as we were also told by GM

·
Registered
309 Posts

here it is in my weekly constraint update.
We were told it would be able to be programmed, but the key would not work as it is smaller.....

I'm sure once the 2008's roll in late July, we will see how this plays out, you should not be able to order them until 2008's are being built, as we were also told by GM
Will the new fob and key work in 07's? My owners manual has a picture of the new fob but I recieved the old style.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The new style fob(if it actually ships this time) isnt available for the earlier cars and even though the 2007 owners manual shows the new style fob they never came with it and ARE NOT supposed to have it. there's actually an insert for the owners manual that states this. If you try to order another fob for your 2007, youll just get the same thing youve already got. Even the GM executive vehicles that had the prototypes of the new fob get the old style fob when any service is needed. :)

Lets assume that all goes well and the fob comes out and back services 05-07 C6's, I still dont think youll even be able to order this fob AT ALL. As this fob comes with a key in the base and keys are VIN specific and you have to PROVE you are the legal owner of the car in order to purchase a key.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Don't know if this is right or not, but wouldn't the key be shipped as a blank and then the dealer would cut it for the specific customer. They wouldn't have pre cut keys waiting in the warehouse because they have no idea who will be ordering them. If it is the case that it is a blank, then the remote can still be programmed but your key would be useless. Could this be correct?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I believe the new key is a steel laser cut style(similar to GTO and other foreign vehicles) and keys need to be ordered they cant be cut at 99.99% of dealers or service centers.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Not to jump in the middle of your post, but my key fob does not work AT ALL anymore! I've replaced the battery, that's the best that I can do (that I'm aware of). It's a 2000 (C5)...any suggestions...OH...and I don't like the larger size of this fob anyway...so the new model would be better. Thanks!

James

1N189

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Not to jump in the middle of your post, but my key fob does not work AT ALL anymore! I've replaced the battery, that's the best that I can do (that I'm aware of). It's a 2000 (C5)...any suggestions...OH...and I don't like the larger size of this fob anyway...so the new model would be better. Thanks!

James

1N189
James try this:
Synchronizing Transmitters

Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for 7 seconds.
The horn will chirp once when the transmitter is synchronized.

Or this:
Programming Transmitters

Turn the ignition to ON.
Turn the radio to OFF.
Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC warning messages.
Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.
Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.
Press the OPTIONS button until FOB TRAINING message is displayed.
Press the RESET button in order to begin the programming sequence. The message HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB will be displayed.
Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The IPC will indicate when that transmitter is programmed and when to proceed to the next. Repeat this procedure for each additional transmitter or press the OPTIONS button to exit.

If neither one of these procedures works it might be time to see a dealer.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Your the man Maven!

Thank you my friend! I just did the first option, and that worked! I guess I was use to locking and unlocking anyway because of my old '87 vert...but this sure is better! :laughing: I appreciate your help! Thanks again! :thumbsup:

James

1N189

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Ok heres some news( i hope its news, didnt search yet....) on the key that comes with the 2008 fob.

Its NOT steel as previously suspected, its a standard brass key that can be cut with standard equiptment. But you still wont be able to utilize the key on previous model year cars because its of different dimensions(its not as wide) and it doesnt use the same tumbler or key cut specifications as earlier cars, this key only uses 4 of the 5 possible tumbler cut depths.

·
Registered
232 Posts
idk what the 08 key fobs are made of but i have handled many of them (not plastic). The quality is 100 time better than the current p.o.s. ones we have now. It has a nice weight to it also. They are simply amazing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts