Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the fob's for 2008, we are used to finding the #1 & #2 on the back...but this year,

it is still noted, but it is on top of the fob...

REMEMBER, if you grab your partners fob...no need to run inside, simply push one time, YOUR memory settings and you are good to go!:D

Your friend and fan in Wisconsin;
RICK "CORVETTE" CONTI

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i would like to know also

yes you can guys, just remember, the new KEY will not work with your existing emergency key hole. You'll have to retain your current key,but fobs can be programmed. Not sure if they are available yet via parts, if not should be soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also have to consider that even though it can be programmed it still will not fit into the slot in the glove box in case of battery failure !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
how would you program it if it wont fit in the glove compartment slot? whats the other way of programming it?
My original comment relates to physical limitations of the fob as oppossed to technical limits.

Clarification - technically it sounds like a 2 step process to pair the fob to a car

Step 1 Programming which is done by the Dealer
Step 2 Matching which involves matching the programmed fob to the car

See Page 74 of the manual below

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/chevrolet/2007corvette.pdf

Still the question remains if the new fob can be put in the old fob's glove compartment slot (i.e. will it have the same geometric dimensions)? Put another way, since the new fob does look like it has a different shape would not this be an issue for 05, 06 and 07 models slots ?:huh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the same limitations apply to the 07 as the 05 and 06? I thought the 2008 fob was more compatible with the 07 and less compatible with the 05/06. Can someone, who knows for sure, clarify and elaborate on this?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
From 07's I've seen the fobs are exactly the same as 05-06
The fob is only part of the issue. The other question is about the lock cylinders; the glove box and the rear hatch. Are the 07 lock cylinders also the same as the 05 and 06?

Steve

·
Registered
134 Posts
From 07's I've seen the fobs are exactly the same as 05-06
Yes they are, but that was not by design. My 07 Owner's manual shows pictures of the FOB used on the 08. It also can use the 08 key. I have not looked at the FOB holder in the glove box, but I would bet it will accept the 08 FOB.

The story I got was that there was a problem found at the 11th hour with the new FOB in 07. I was read that it would fall apart if dropped. The only recourse was to ship the early07's (mine was built on 8/30/06) with the 05-06 FOB until the problem could be resolved. I think GM would like us to believe that it took GM a year to fix this problem.

My guess is that they had it figured out long before the end of 07 production but did not want to ship the updated FOB until 08 to save the cost of replacing all of the FOB's on the early 07's when owners learned that the new FOB was available.

I know I would have been one of the owners requesting the updated FOB.

Save The Wave,
John :buhbye:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 07 has a build date of May 16 2007 and my manual shows the old fob, the one that came with the car. Go figure.
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts