Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I can't wait to get a peak at the '08 interior, sounds like there are going to be some nice changes....by the way, when are the '08's hitting the dealerships anyway?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
FYI:

Chevrolet will un-veil the 2008 Corvette at the NCM on April 28.
I'll take pics and post them.

Zippy :) :)

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts
FYI:

Chevrolet will un-veil the 2008 Corvette at the NCM on April 28.
I'll take pics and post them.

Zippy :) :)
Zippy ... you and Rick need to make sure you guy's set your camera's to "FULL" in terms of resolution ... we are in 2007 ... 640x480 will not cut it ...:partyon:

1600x1200 is where it is at ... or bigger ... if you have web-space issues ... I can help with that !!!

THANKS!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Credit: People who made the PDF above ...

·
Supporting Dealer
10,438 Posts
Zippy ... you and Rick need to make sure you guy's set your camera's to "FULL" in terms of resolution ... we are in 2007 ... 640x480 will not cut it ...:partyon:

1600x1200 is where it is at ... or bigger ... if you have web-space issues ... I can help with that !!!

THANKS!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Credit: People who made the PDF above ...
no sweat bro!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know if the performance axle option for the A6 will still be offered or not as seen on the original leaked 08' prelimnary list, but not mentioned on the latest list on the web?

Also is Z06 exhaust for the Z51 C6 still a go?

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts
no sweat bro!
Rick ... will your new site be up by then? cause if not ... you need to get a new web guy ... cause March 12th to April 28th is a big delay ...:rolling:

In any case ... make sure to take a ton of pics of each of the new items ... interior, colors, wheels, etc ...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
too bad the guy didnt throw that baby on a dyno while it was in the shop so we could see what the ls3 is made of... thats what has me on the fence on whether to wait till the 08's

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmm those split spoke wheels in comp grey could grow on me...

Still not sure about the bend in the spokes.

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
Great preview. I'm sure the writer had to promise not to divulge the power information nor print any interior pics. Too bad, but I doubt if anyone will loose their jobs or get sued over this, so that's good.

Could be my imagination working overtime, but the dash of that new-blue vert looks to be a light gray to me. This would synch with the written article saying it was optioned out. The silver/black door sill, the exhaust and (my bet) the carbon fiber are part of the list of GM produced accessories that are/will be available. I have the door sill and two color seats as, I'm sure, many of you do. GM currently offers two different dealer installed exhausts.

Glad to see a change in the shifter. Hope it's less sloppy.

BTW Is it my imagination again, or is that a softer yellow next to the vert?

Great Find !! Thanks!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guys, really doesn't sound like "a lot of new meat on the bone" here. May be our lives are a little dull and we need to get more realistic. If we were dealing with a company that wasn't run by bean counters than we may have a year-to-year change that amounted to something just because they could do it with no or little cost to them.

As I have said before many times, it is just a great car for the money, today, tonight, whenever you walk on the lot to may be buy one.

NorthernPlus

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
Guys, really doesn't sound like "a lot of new meat on the bone" here. May be our lives are a little dull and we need to get more realistic. If we were dealing with a company that wasn't run by bean counters than we may have a year-to-year change that amounted to something just because they could do it with no or little cost to them.

As I have said before many times, it is just a great car for the money, today, tonight, whenever you walk on the lot to may be buy one.

NorthernPlus
Man are you harsh.
First we don't even know for certain what the HP & Tq is going to be for the LS3 or what the new interior will look like or how improved the new shifter is.

Second, how many new base engines did the C5 get in it's 8 year run? As I recall the LS1 got a 5 HP bump in it's midlife crisis, new wheels, but no interior changes. These changes are coming at the beginning of year 4 for the C6 and there is no question that they will be more substantial than those small C5 changes.

Third, subtantial Year to Year changes for a 33,000 unit per year sports car will never happen in at GM, Toyota, Honda, or even Porsche. If you want to pay Ferrari sized prices, yeah we could get year to year substantive changes ... and pay about $5,000 for each tuneup. Substantive changes do not happen at "little or no cost". GM engineers must directed off other projects to come up with these substantive changes. This means higher overhead costs for Corvette. Supplier prices are locked in at Economic Order Quanties EOQ. This means GM commits to buy xxx parts for z years in order to keep the costs at a level that makes the Corvette ...
just a great car for the money, today, tonight, whenever you walk on the lot to may be buy one.
NorthernPlus
Bottom line: If GM were truely run by bean counters, Bowling green would making trucks or suburbans and we wouldn't have the oportunity to discuss this stuff.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bottom line: If GM were truely run by bean counters, Bowling green would making trucks or suburbans and we wouldn't have the oportunity to discuss this stuff.
Hey Longtimer, some bean counters look beyond the numbers.
:laughing:

Can't wait to see the 2009 SS next year.

Is there any chance what so ever that GM will do a right hand drive variant for sale outside the USA?

Wayne:cheers:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I really feel that I am being realistic. Chevrolet and GM realized a long time ago that they made something special. They are improving it more then they would if it was some other mark in the line at GM. I am sure that Corvette is special to GM. That is why we are really getting our bang for the buck. If you think that GM or Chevrolet would come up with something that was worth $20,000 more to the buyer, but the pricing structure for the Corvette would only permit a $5000 increase from year-to-year we would see the end product? I doubt it because the higher ups would say too much of an increase in price for the average Corvette buyer.

I still say that we are getting a great car for the money. Maybe we are getting a "gift" for the money that we are paying for this car. I think that my C6 is just great. May be I have a special one that came off the line and was gifted to me by the higher ups. I have a great world class car. I could not buy this car under any other mark for what I paid. That has to be a very satisfying feeling as it is for me.

I am just being realistic with what I said. No offense intended. I cannot see Gm paying anymore for interior improvements than what they are spending now. If they beat the supplier to death and receive more for the money spent than that is what we will receive. Not from GM but from the supplier indirectly.

I do appreciate that you were kind with your words to me, "Rash" is not an unkind word, and I am not a nose in the air guy. I am just being what I feel is realistic in real life today at GM and Chevrolet. Why do you think the Corvette Division has the margins they do today? It has to be the most profitable Division in the company. It is because they are giving us "value" for what we are receiving. The Corvette must be the greatest "PR" that GM has. They are trying to continue to give us that value indirectly for the "PR" value they receive in selling us such a great car for the money. They are just constrained by what they can actually do. There is a trade off in what they can do without offending the other car divisions Why do you think so many options are now standard on US made cars that cost extra years ago? It is because the foreign manufacturers said, "hell this only costs $2.00 and that only costs us $4.00. The US makers were charging us $35 and $40 for the same thing. So the US guys had to give in and give us more for our money.

When you think of value in US cars, I suggest you think of what you would be receiving if it were not for the foreign competition. Why do you think "labor" received the increases in the past that they did? It was because the US makers could afford it.

The Corvette has always been special . It has always been a profitable car for Chevrolet and GM. They may have fallen into a good one, but today the corporate constraints are dictating what Chevrolet can spend each year in improvements for the buyer and what they have to give to the buyer to keep him or her happy. That is just life.

Guys, we are still getting a great car for the money, and a think I got a special one when I got mine.

Also, after taking directly to suppliers to the auto industry, the auto industry expects automatically that the their cost go down each year for the life of the parts run. If that is being "locked in" I sure wish I was in that situation as the US makers are. I know one supplier here in the US that was never called in on a new project. The specs. were sent directly to China. When the part in production failed, the manufacturer called the US counter part maker in and "told" them to fix the problem. The US manufacturer told them to go to hell. The guy who told me this said they had to sleep at night. Such orders and BS are just not worth it. If you think US makers are at the will of the supplier, than you are not being realistic with life today.

Concerning, HP and torque expectations, this has already been discussed from a pure mathematics standpoint, and we know more or less what to expect. I for one, can't use the 400/400 now on the street and I really try.

The PR value of the Corvette more than off sets the use of the Bowling Green production plant vs building trucks or space craft there. The bean counters may constrain overall improvements each year, but they can not kill this car. Other places build trucks and space craft. Only Bowling Green builds the Corvette, and the people in that community are the reason for the quality of the Corvette that we are receiving.

NorthernPlus

Man are you harsh.
First we don't even know for certain what the HP & Tq is going to be for the LS3 or what the new interior will look like or how improved the new shifter is.

Second, how many new base engines did the C5 get in it's 8 year run? As I recall the LS1 got a 5 HP bump in it's midlife crisis, new wheels, but no interior changes. These changes are coming at the beginning of year 4 for the C6 and there is no question that they will be more substantial than those small C5 changes.

Third, subtantial Year to Year changes for a 33,000 unit per year sports car will never happen in at GM, Toyota, Honda, or even Porsche. If you want to pay Ferrari sized prices, yeah we could get year to year substantive changes ... and pay about $5,000 for each tuneup. Substantive changes do not happen at "little or no cost". GM engineers must directed off other projects to come up with these substantive changes. This means higher overhead costs for Corvette. Supplier prices are locked in at Economic Order Quanties EOQ. This means GM commits to buy xxx parts for z years in order to keep the costs at a level that makes the Corvette ...

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
If no one has noticed this is the new GM, and all it took is for the future of GM to come in great question and things changed. Look at the vehicles that they are now putting out and look at some of the future vehicles that are coming from them.

The situation at GM is that they now realize that they work ina global market (last year they sold 4.5 million vehicles in America and 4.6 million elsewhere for the first time selling more cars overseas then in America). GM now thinks on a global scale, and they have figured out how to get a lot more out of their money.

As GM changes and now that they can make money selling cars once more they are interested in keeping it that way for the first time in forever. They are spending more money to develope better cars, trucks, and SUVs then they have been making. The Saturn Aura has gotten better ratings then the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, and Ford Fusion.

The new Malibu is coming out which should be even better, and after that a RWD Impala and so on and so on. This is why we are getting the C6 with a upgraded interior and a new engine and I wouldnt be shocked if there were other parts that we dont know about.

So how much horsepower do you think the LS3 will be making?

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
Hey Longtimer, some bean counters look beyond the numbers.
:laughing:

Can't wait to see the 2009 SS next year.

Is there any chance what so ever that GM will do a right hand drive variant for sale outside the USA?

Wayne:cheers:
Two: Very Slim and none, IMO. How many of the 26,000 odd coupes and verts does GM make in right hand drive? Answer: none.

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
NorthernPlus,

You say you're being realistic, but I notice that you can't site any other car selling 33,000 units per year that has "Significant Changes" each year. Hell, I can't think of any car selling 100,000 units per year getting yearly "Significant Changes." Even Civics don't get yearly "Significant Changes."

I'm a corporate controller by profession and I was ashamed of the influence the bean counters had on GM in the late 80's and early 90s. Maybe you weren't aware that the Corvette came VERY close to being cancelled (bean counters), rather than funds being allocated for C5 development (car guys and BOD).

Yes GM constantly pressures suppliers for lower costs, just as consumers expect rebates at the end of each year - especially later in model runs.

Yes the auto industry gave UAW workers an increase as per the union agreements.

Yes the auto industry passes the cost of increases like this Union raise on to the consumer in any way they can.

Yes GM has been in economic trouble and its market share has been decreasing.

Yes Ford is in deep economic trouble.

Yes, Daimler is trying to rid itself of Chrysler even if it is powered by a Hemi.

Yes, Plymouth and Oldsmobile are dead.

Yes, Buick and Mercury are likely in their final sales-results-or-cancellation phase of life.

Divisions and models must consistantly deliver profit or face cancellation. Today's Corvette appears to be untouchable with car guys like Lutz in places of influence at GM and a great product. But if Corvette started delivering red ink year after year because of excessive costs for what ever reason (Yearly significant changes?) it could face cancellation again.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I dont see Buick going anywhere, they still sell a lot of vehicles and they are a big hit in China selling more units there then in the US last year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts