Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a question for the group and perhaps Explorer 97 you could give me your thoughts as well. It would appear that the release of the SS in July 08 will be about 2 years ahead of the C7 launch.
My question is, where does Corvette go beyond the capability of the 650 hp SS? How will the C7 be better than this car? Does anyone have any insight on what direction Corvette is heading with the C7?
I've owned 6 Corvettes over the years and am debating which way to go.
Try and get an SS or wait for the C7?
Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
hmm

Well I guess the question will be which version of the c7 would you buy if you do wait. :huh:

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I were you and had money to burn it would definatley be the SS. Even if it is your daily driver. If there is a true limited run of it it seems like an investment you will always make your money back on even with high miles as long as you keep it original and save all your official documents

·
Registered
279 Posts
My question is, where does Corvette go beyond the capability of the 650 hp SS? How will the C7 be better than this car? Does anyone have any insight on what direction Corvette is heading with the C7?
It's too early to know any of that. The C7 doesn't start production for 3 years.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This falls right inline with some thoughts I was having today myself.

I was wondering to my self what GM may do with the lesser priced cars if this car is in fact going to have closer to 700hp like a certain article I read speculated.

Considering that the viper is already at 600hp for under 100k. If I were GM my thought process would go something like this.

C6/SS 700hp

C6/Z 550-575hp in 08 or 09

C6 475-485 in 08 or 09

I'd like to see 600hp like the viper, but I think it will be tough to go too much further with these cars and maintane good reliability. The viper has the benefit of quite a few more cubes then the Vet, so they have a little head start in that dept. Its like an old friend of mine used to say, "Cubic inches is cheap horsepower." Thats why I was thrilled when they went to 7.0l.

What they do for the C7 is anybodies guess. However I got an email that is sure to be a clue as to which way the sports car industry could go for alot of reasons. Lets face it, when it comes to HP you can only get so much to the ground affordably, and that is what the Vet is supposed to be, an achievable dream. So the HP war has to peak at some point.

Anyway, If I were GM and wanted to build a car to compete with the best, afforably, when compared to my competition, I have to start looking at weight, as my competition is.

The email I got was about Ferrarri's FXX project starting a new cycle of development. I put the link below, for a preview lets just say 1/2 ton Enzo's aren't to far away.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/automotive/technology/38238/

Anyway I've pontificated enough. Enjoy the reading.

Rick

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you want to own the performance top dog you have only one option -- try to obtain a C6 SS now. That's because the base C7 won't outperform it, and the C7 Z06 probably won't come out until the 2012 model year at the earliest. And even the C7 Z06 may not outperform the 650 hp SS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nothing stays "top dog" forever. The ZR-1 was the King once, now it's just a cool older Vette with some hard-to-replace parts. You can buy a good one for under $20k. Technology and performance have moved on in ways that would have been hard to believe in 1990.

So it will be with the SS... eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts