Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One last thing that we need to do with the gas tank before it can go back in the car is we need to change all the O-rings for the transfer tube..

With everything done and ready to go back in the car, here is our completed fuel tank capable of supplying ~800rwhp..

Here we are all mounted back in the car and before I put the inner fender liner back in place we can see my redundant and short ground wires..

Now with fuel supply out of the way I can turn my attention to setting up the intercooler at the nose of the car. The fascia needs to come off for this to happen. So here is that..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The torque converter showed up so I can get the back half of the car together. We really like and have never had a problem with Florida Torque Converters. They are a great company and make an outstanding product or so has been all of our experiences with FTC..

The converter is 11" has a 2500rpm stall anti-ballooning billet front cover triple clutch and other good stuff inside. This awesome converter is gonna go on this here 6L80E transmission..

This 6L80E is a heavy duty truck transmission and with a small converter it is just a thing of beauty..

We did nothing else to this transmission to make it handle the power. Just a smaller converter. These transmissions are awesome once you get tuning them down. Here is the transmission and diff installed in the car..

And at the end of the day we have the rear sub frame and suspension bolted back in..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So today started out with a problem..

Not only is there no movement or slack between the converter and it's drive plate but there is actually preload. This will not last and can not be run like this. FTC sent us a shipping label immediately upon us letting them know what we had and they will make a correction and get this awesome converter back to us. But for now The sub frame needs to come back off..

Then the diff..

Then the transmission..

Then the converter comes off and we are right back to waiting on a converter..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So now we need to worry about other things until that part comes back. First up we spaced the power steering reservoir forward 1.25" so we could mount the throttle body upside down..

This modification includes a longer feed hose from the reservoir to the pump..

Unfortunately we are waiting for a green stripe belt before we can complete the front of the motor and get the radiator and condenser in. But that belt should be in tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We got started on the roll control a.k.a. line locs with a pair of these solenoids..

On the last car this motor was in I setup the line locs at the wheels. I really liked that setup and am going to recreate it here. So first I need to make a mirror image solenoid out of one of the 2 because I like symmetry..

Then I drill my holes and have 2 mirror image solenoids..

Now I need to mark off for 2 holes in the frame where I want to mount each solenoid. Drill holes and tap them to 1/4-20..

Then I mount each solenoid directly to the frame with two 1/4-20 x 3/4 bolts with lock washers..

And the other side..

From here I just need to make a few short but specific lines and mount a switch on the dash.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Autowiz - impressive stuff. For those of us Florida locals that might need assistance with our Corvette projects, what dealer do you work for?

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So the roll control is waiting for fittings and brake lines to be finished. But the belt has shown up so we can get the front of the motor completed. First off I just want to say that we are very big fans of the green stripe belts..

The kit from A&A has both a mechanical and a spring loaded tensioner. First we will work with the mechanical tensioner..

I like to size the belt so the mechanical tensioner can be close to all the way tight on install as this gives the best belt wrap around the power adder..

Then once that is set we go to the front of the motor to the spring tensioner that is held open with a pin / bolt..

We simply pull the pin and release the spring tension on our tightened belt..

And now we can rest easy knowing that we have the full throw of the tensioner to take up slack as the belt grows under load. Anybody who has watched a spring tensioner unload during a dyno pull will get this. The belt stretches under load. Like elastic. Once the tension goes, the blower stops putting out. This is the golden standard that we should all be hunting down in our supercharger setups. Mechanical AND spring loaded together. Procharger also has this. Both are in the same tensioner.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Next we need to get the radiator, condenser, and cooling fan installed. The radiator and condenser are new so there is no dirt, grass, gravel, or debris trapped in the core limiting airflow..

The C6 has just 1 cooling fan. It is a large brushless fan and is driven by a pwm circuit. so we can command the fan on in specific percentages instead of just on/off or low or high..

When these fans get run at 90% or better duty cycle for any length of time the connections get warm and expand. For some C6 cars I will just cut the plugs off and hardwire the fan controller right into the main harness. But I am going the extra mile here so things can come apart easier if they need to. I will add this connector to the one already in place..

I will splice this into the power and ground wires so as to increase the surface area of the connectors so they can handle a few more amps. Like this..

I do the same on the main harness side..

I am soldering these connections just to make sure everything lives a long happy life. This is after all the only cooling fan..

And here is the main harness all back together..

And here is the fan plugged in and ready for 90%+ duty cycle for as long as the ecu can dish out the 5v squarewave..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
We are getting real close here. With the under hood near complete..

we can now work on getting the intercooler setup. It will go right here..

We are dumping most of the plastics that directed the airflow into the radiator and condenser. A&A supplies these aluminum pieces to direct the airflow behind the intercooler..

And here we are with the intercooler installed..

While most of the air that comes into the front of this car will be forced through the intercooler there is still some space on the sides to allow fresh air into the radiator and condenser and for the engine to breathe. We are waiting on a boost hose before the fascia can go back on. we are also waiting on brake line fittings and a relay so we are going to pause on this for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The converter came back to us today with an extra bead of weld around it meaning it has been opened..

and installed on the transmission..

Florida Torque Converter is a great company. To think that any body or any thing in this world could be perfect is just naïve. What happens when things go wrong is how we really get to know what a given company is worth. And in this situation, FTC stood up to the plate fast. And made things right quick. And proof of that can be seen right here..

I am proud that we do business with FTC. They are some great people. Going back together I like to insulate the trans cooler lines. On the C5, C6, and C7 corvettes the transmission is in the back and it's cooler inside the radiator. These long lines run along the torque tube and right above the exhaust. For this reason I insulate the cooler lines..

installed..

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Looking real good Wiz-master. That's a pretty converter. I've always used Vigilante, Yank or Edge but that's a pretty converter. Did you mention that it has 3 lockup clutches?

Oh, BTW, you owe me for keeping "HIM" occupied on another thread. You're welcome.:laughing:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Looking real good Wiz-master. That's a pretty converter. I've always used Vigilante, Yank or Edge but that's a pretty converter. Did you mention that it has 3 lockup clutches?

Oh, BTW, you owe me for keeping "HIM" occupied on another thread. You're welcome.:laughing:
The More engine torque you feed into a torque converter the higher the internal pressure.
Its all covered on Grumpy's website under BBC thrust bearings .
Turbo 400 cited and theory.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

I'm hoping to have this on the dyno by the week's end. I will post up pictures of the 3" dual exhaust without cats today.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This morning we got the exhaust up and mounted. Just because pictures don't always show size correctly I took this picture..

dual 3" no cats. We are keeping the factory mufflers for this application because they are such awesome mufflers right from the factory..

These mufflers have vacuum secondaries that open under hard load and they bypass the baffling inside the muffler. A factory exhaust cutout. vacuum operated instead of electronic but faster working and better operation..

And here is the new exhaust..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Aside from insulating the trans cooler lines before the exhaust went up I insulated the top side of the tunnel closeout as well..

The flat plate is incredibly easy to cover..

Cutting out the holes so that the threads of the bolts don't get gummed up took a few minutes..

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Wiring and electrical on this job is light. We mounted a boost-a-pump and a fuel pump relay effectively creating the entire fuel pump power circuit away from the pins that love to expand under the fuse block..

And because we flipped the throttle body upside down, we need to extend 6 wires to reach across to the other side of the intake..

21 - 40 of 54 Posts