·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Good comparison.........
I find myself telling the people who do not like or care for the way my Z06 rides, .........without power seats, a quiet exhaust, navigation or a sunroof and want it to ride like a limo. Go buy your daddy's Buick or Cadillac, you would be better off. This is a performance car and I bought it to perform.:devil:

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Good comparison.........
I find myself telling the people who do not like or care for the way my Z06 rides, .........without power seats, a quiet exhaust, navigation or a sunroof and want it to ride like a limo. Go buy your daddy's Buick or Cadillac, you would be better off. This is a performance car and I bought it to perform.:devil:
You confused me, because its a performance car, are you saying it should ride like ****, I don't know but the Z06 does ride like a boxcart, my car can out perform a Z06 anytime and rides like a caddy.
GM should not sacrifice ride over performance because they didn't do it to the regular C6.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
690 Posts
wow- host is a total tool...stupid premise for a video- let me compare MY own car to some thing else- everyone ALWAYS thinks what they have is better....dumbass....

I wonder how that 5 yr/100k mile warranty is working out for him on his C5...

·
Registered
690 Posts
He said the GS abandoned the leaf springs? News to me.
he's an idiot....anyway, I think he was referencing the magnetic ride control that is an option on the 2011s...

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You confused me, because its a performance car, are you saying it should ride like ****, I don't know but the Z06 does ride like a boxcart, my car can out perform a Z06 anytime and rides like a caddy.
GM should not sacrifice ride over performance because they didn't do it to the regular C6.:thumbsup:
There was a time when you could buy a car and specifically delete the air conditioning and radio. Those times are long gone due to the general publics demands for higher standards. I was not looking for "creature comforts" with the Z06 like I have on my Denali. Heated steering wheel and seats, power roof, power running boards, backup camera, navigation, DVD. All of those comforts add weight. The C5 Z06 was all about weight reduction and performance. If I was going to "drive" across country, there is no other car in my stable that I would prefer to drive than my Z. But, if I was going to "ride" and possibly want to take a nap..........while someone else was driving.....I would be "riding" in a Denali or CTS-V with reclining seats. The "creature conforts" is what I was trying to convey. The last Ferrari I sat in was very uncomfortable............but did I care, no.

Look at the "GS". It is a result of the general public demanding a Z06 "lookalike widebody" with a removable roof and automatic tranny. Search the threads for "Who would buy a Z06 with removable roof?" or "Who wants GM to put a automatic transmission in the Z06?". Looks and creature comforts have become minimum stadards. People have lost touch with the niche that a Z06 was meant to fill, performance. Now, if GM could build or at the very least offer a Z06 without air conditioning, how much more HP could be gained. Obviously this would "weed out" the people that truly want performance.
Of course, just my .02.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have to say this guy is an idiot. Comparing the 2 is not going to work. All the things he has done to his car, I could do to my GS if I wanted too. GM has to make the Corvettes appeal to the masses and not a certain person. Also, trying to keep the price down instead of letting it sky rocket to the super cars price by reusing parts from other models. So bitching about the steering wheel design or other parts of the car is pointless when comparing it to the what you did to your car since you did it for yourself and not for anyone else to buy it. Personally I like the GS wheels over the ones he put on his. :huh:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Look at the "GS". It is a result of the general public demanding a Z06 "lookalike widebody" with a removable roof and automatic tranny.
I did not want (or need) the LS7 for the extra $20K. Nor did I want all of the extra GM bells & whistles.

My 6 speed manual GS coupe (LT-2) was the ticket. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There are enough options from the factory these days that 99% of the people who want a Corvette don't have to dip into the aftermarket to find anything extra. I'm not sure how he came up with the comparison of his mod C5 and a GS, but it seems like he's build more of a Z06 clone, probably in response to its reincarnation in 2001.

And GM didn't get rid of the leaf springs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Very entertaining video. Was it an apples to apples comparison? No, but who on this forum doesn't want to hear corvettes being flogged in a CA canyon?

Sure he pointed out the obvious design sore points with respect to the seats , steering wheel and interior but he is obviously a corvette fan and constructive criticism doesn't hurt. Pretty much every auto journalist that has written a review about the corvette in the recent past has complained about the seats.

One comment that he made in the video that really didn't make any sense was the fixed headlight comment. No one cares about the aerodynamic difference between the pop ups and fixed headlights because...most performance driving occurs during the day and I'm sure the difference is negligible anyway.

Other than that I thought it was an entertaining video, both of those vettes sounded bad ass!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
No one cares about the aerodynamic difference between the pop ups and fixed headlights because...most performance driving occurs during the day and I'm sure the difference is negligible anyway.
I think the aerodynamic flaws of pop ups are more dramatic than many realize. When the C6 first came out, top speed was stated as 186 MPH, and in one article they said the testers pointed out that with the mirrors folded back and a little tape over the crossed flags, they were able to eek out 4 more MPH and hit 190. So two large headlights sticking straight out of the front of the car...There is a reason the C6 doesn't have pop ups, it's because they started racing the damn thing and the old pop ups just had to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the aerodynamic flaws of pop ups are more dramatic than many realize. When the C6 first came out, top speed was stated as 186 MPH, and in one article they said the testers pointed out that with the mirrors folded back and a little tape over the crossed flags, they were able to eek out 4 more MPH and hit 190. So two large headlights sticking straight out of the front of the car...There is a reason the C6 doesn't have pop ups, it's because they started racing the damn thing and the old pop ups just had to go.
Another reason was that the old pop-up headlights would not pass tech in most European and overseas car inspections. I remember hearing that having a motorized unit in order to turn on the headlights is a no-no in a lot of countries.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think it was the right decision for GM to ditch the pop ups, another benefit to the C6 setup is the weight difference. But what I'm saying is that the average C5 track day warrior doesn't care.

If you are at a road course where the regulations require you to keep your headlights on during the day, that is different. That is why the C5R ran the fixed headlights...but for normal daytime autocross or track days the main headlights are off and you don't get the extra drag.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Another reason was that the old pop-up headlights would not pass tech in most European and overseas car inspections. I remember hearing that having a motorized unit in order to turn on the headlights is a no-no in a lot of countries.
I haven't heard that, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I think it was the right decision for GM to ditch the pop ups, another benefit to the C6 setup is the weight difference. But what I'm saying is that the average C5 track day warrior doesn't care.

If you are at a road course where the regulations require you to keep your headlights on during the day, that is different. That is why the C5R ran the fixed headlights...but for normal daytime autocross or track days the main headlights are off and you don't get the extra drag.
:agree: 100%. I think that a great mod for the C5 is the fixed headlights like this guy has on his 98'. (Probably shaves a few pounds off the front end as well if you remove the mechanism)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts