Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on ebay the other day and saw a power adder for corvettes C4, C5 and C5 Z06. It is a little knob with 2 wires coming out of the box behind it that replaces the air temperature sensor. Suposedly it adds 22 horsepower when you set the knob to the power setting. It also has a fuel mileage setting. I am guessing it jst tells the computer that the air is a different temperature so i get more fuel and air. Anybody ever heard of this? and is it safe to use? the company guaruntee's it not to damage the car....but im still a little leary. 22 HP for 30 bucks sounds a little iffy to me.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's gotta be bogus. I'd buy it in a second if it really worked. I relocated mine from under the plenum to the air filter housing where it's a lot cooler and didn't see any gain in performance:thud:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Its a resistor that you plug into the air temp. sensor. Basically it tricks the computer in to believing that the coldest air possible is entering the throttle body. The computer advances the timing and you may gain 3-4 h.p. Probably not enough to really notice.Not worth $30

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Its a resistor that you plug into the air temp. sensor. Basically it tricks the computer in to believing that the coldest air possible is entering the throttle body. The computer advances the timing and you may gain 3-4 h.p. Probably not enough to really notice.Not worth $30
:agree: Exactly.

It's just a little electronic device that people with little knowledge of cars would get. I know 2 guys that have already asked about them and swears they do what they say they do. They'll get you some power, but at what expense??

Josh

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt go so far as to say i dont know anything about cars. I had just never heard of anything like this before. Ive spent all my time until the last year working on old stuff. Like my moms 66 el camino and my bosses 60 impala. I Just dont know much about all the electrical stuff.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I wouldnt go so far as to say i dont know anything about cars. I had just never heard of anything like this before. Ive spent all my time until the last year working on old stuff. Like my moms 66 el camino and my bosses 60 impala. I Just dont know much about all the electrical stuff.
True, I should have rephrased that. I too came from where you did. I have a 75 that didn't have a computer or stuff like that. Those tricks didn't apply. I was really referring to the younger generation of the "I want it now" type. I too thought about these things, but had some other electonically in the know type people tell me about them.

No offense intended:cheers:

Josh

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Just a $30 version of the IAT sensor mod from LS1.com. A 2.2k resistor (cost a few cents) will get you the same result. I had to do that temporarily on my Camaro when I broke my IAT until another arrived. My diagnostic software said the car was seeing 55 degrees (F), the lowest temp that the parameters are set to read. It isn't worth the risk of detonation (even with knock sensors), particularly if you are in a hot area (my opinion only).

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its alright dude...i know what you mean.......from the way everyone talks about this thing...ill probably just leave it alone....thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
a little fishy?...a lot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts