Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run 295-35-18 tires on all four cornner on my 1984 C4

I getting ready to but a new set of rims and tires I like to be able to rotate them.

I read somewhere dont go bigger than 275 on the front due to wandering when roads are wet.

Is this true or will 295 work fine on wet roads or will I any other Issues running 295 in front.

I like the steam roller tire look.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
As long as you get 10 1/2" rims for all 4 corners. I'll have to wait for some expert on early C4's to chime in on the fitment. Yes, bigger tires will make the car more prone to wandering on the highway and may not be as good for handling. Many great handling Vette's have smaller tires on the front. Don't forget that the tendency to hydroplane will be greater with a wider tire also.

These potential problems can be somewhat offset by utilizing a more quality tire but that would mean a lot more money. The wandering is not that big of an issue. It's not like you're going to do an instantaneous lane change. Just more steering correction required. As for the steamroller look, I have 305's on the rear and 275's on the front. It looks like I could squish something real well with those.

Read the wet tire part of the review over on the tire rack website and you'll get an idea if your choice is sound or not. Enjoy and have a great day.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How bad is the wandering with the 275.

I running the stock 16 inch wheels that hard to find tires for I have 245 50 16 on them now they just look to small for the car.

As long as you get 10 1/2" rims for all 4 corners. I'll have to wait for some expert on early C4's to chime in on the fitment. Yes, bigger tires will make the car more prone to wandering on the highway and may not be as good for handling. Many great handling Vette's have smaller tires on the front. Don't forget that the tendency to hydroplane will be greater with a wider tire also.

These potential problems can be somewhat offset by utilizing a more quality tire but that would mean a lot more money. The wandering is not that big of an issue. It's not like you're going to do an instantaneous lane change. Just more steering correction required. As for the steamroller look, I have 305's on the rear and 275's on the front. It looks like I could squish something real well with those.

Read the wet tire part of the review over on the tire rack website and you'll get an idea if your choice is sound or not. Enjoy and have a great day.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yes, bigger tires will make the car more prone to wandering on the highway and may not be as good for handling.
In '93 the factory went down to 255's fronts on base cars to reduce the common problem of the tires tracking in road grooves regardless of weather

there are guys with 315 on each corner so it would come down to personal preferences

·
Registered
424 Posts
im currently running 285/35zr18's on my 84 and have no rubbing or clearance issure. it does follow grooves in the road on occasion, but nothin unmanageable. i plan on replacing the 285/35's with 295/35's for a tiny bit wider tread and a little rubber past the wheel to keep my gf from curbing them.

im also running 18x10's and according to 1010tires.com a 295/35 fits a 10-11.5" wheel.

285 vs 295 is only about 1/2 inch overall width difference, which would be 1/2 inward and 1/4 outward. i cant forsee any clearance issues.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im currently running 285/35zr18's on my 84 and have no rubbing or clearance issure. it does follow grooves in the road on occasion, but nothin unmanageable. i plan on replacing the 285/35's with 295/35's for a tiny bit wider tread and a little rubber past the wheel to keep my gf from curbing them.

im also running 18x10's and according to 1010tires.com a 295/35 fits a 10-11.5" wheel.

285 vs 295 is only about 1/2 inch overall width difference, which would be 1/2 inward and 1/4 outward. i cant forsee any clearance issues.
Thanks I think I go with the 295's It be about a month before I get them but I have found asking question before you pull the trigger can Help you out in the long run and help keeping you form making anouther expensive mistake.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Thanks I think I go with the 295's It be about a month before I get them but I have found asking question before you pull the trigger can Help you out in the long run and help keeping you form making anouther expensive mistake.

Thanks
wandering can be helped a tad bit by making them align it to 91 specs.. it changes the rear a bit for better straight line driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts