Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for some other parts, I decided to tear into my door to see what's going on as there were 3 things I wanted to do: inside door handle was loose, rattle when closing, replace and clean/regrease everything.

#1 - My LH door lock opener broke where the handle slides into the body as you can see in the picture below. I noticed 2 of the Corvette parts suppliers mention, either online or catalog, that their reproduction opening mechanism is "improved, won't break like original". I'm going to make a terrible assumption that there probably is only 1 reproduction door opener company in the world for the Corvette, so that if one site says it's "improved" that all of the other sites are of exactly the same quality and are "improved" as well?

#2.0 - There was one major rattle that I didn't expect and was one of the easiest and cheapest fixes I've made to my car yet:

#2.1 - The other rattle is just the door panel itself isn't very snug against the metal, I'm guessing because all of the fasteners are shot as you can see in the picture below.

I've seen replacement fasteners but they don't have the rivets like the originals do. How do they stay on?

#3 - In order to clean up everything, I need the glass window out. Unfortunately before my battery died, I had the windows down. I now need them up. I see there are two wires to the motor. Is it safe to say that if I hook up a +12 to one it's going to go up and the other makes it go down? I would guess the motor is grounded by the door itself and that these connections are the power.

:drink:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I'm going to make a terrible assumption that there probably is only 1 reproduction door opener company in the world for the Corvette, so that if one site says it's "improved" that all of the other sites are of exactly the same quality and are "improved" as well?...
I tend to agree there is likely to be only one manufacturer, but I'm not sure it actually makes a difference. It took your original 30-40 years to break. You'll be okay if the replacement lasts that long.

...I've seen replacement fasteners but they don't have the rivets like the originals do. How do they stay on?...
Contact cement or anything similar.

For the windows, since you need a battery anyway, go ahead and get the replacement battery. With regular power available from the battery, you won't run the risk of accidently burning out a PW motor.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Just a tip for the plastic Velcro fasteners.

I put a dab of super glue in the middle of the pads, span them together, and hold them tight.

They never pop loose on their own, but if you need to access the door behind the panel, they snap open with a twist of a flat head screw driver.

Not the fix with the most finesse but it sure does hold them together good.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Google'd around to see if I could find anything. I did find one article but the doors were original unlike my plastic backing on mine. But they used JB Weld to hold the original back on:

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_1012_c3_corvette_windows/index.html

I've seen JB Weld mentioned elsewhere in DC threads, must be wonderful stuff. I wonder how well it would hold against the plastic they used for my door panel? Obviously the fastener itself is plastic, so maybe it works with all plastic.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I would drill holes in the Velcro pieces and rivet or screw them to the panels.

The super glue tip was for keeping them together once they are in place, and the door panel is installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts