Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's an easy way to tell apart a 327 or 350 while it's in the car? I have a 68 that I was told had a 350, but I'm not so sure. It has an oil filler pipe sticking up in front of the intake, kinda like some olds and pontiac engines I've seen. I got this # off the driverside rear of block: 3932386. I just want to know if I can use it as a core for my new 350 crate engine....

·
Registered
596 Posts
BOTH 327s & 350s have an identical 4"-bore; the '27 has a 3.250" stroke, the 350 a 3.48" arm (Z28 302s had a 3" stroke).
If a head is off, bring one 'hole' up to TDC, and measure down a bore, from the deck to a piston @ BDC. This is an easy method (if a head is off the block).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But there's no easy way? the engine is completely assembled in the car. Maybe a casting # or something to give it away?

And what about the oil fill spout at the front of the engine? I've never seen this on a chevy before. Usually you just fill through the valve cover, right?

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Casting number that you gave was used for several applications:

3932386....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro

:D :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm. so that doesnt work. I was just figuring that there had to be some kind of simple way to tell.

·
Registered
596 Posts
No simple way; perhaps a previous owner of the block stuffed a 400 CID crank in it; it could even be a 377/383...
I have an intake from a mid-'60s Vette (327CID/365HP) with a 'pipe' in the front, for adding oil. I'm told that wasn't uncommon on SBC in the 'early-days'...

In answer to your original question, yes, it can be used to build/rebuild another 350" hammer. I think all of the internal dimensions (of the bare block) are the same from 302/327/350;
it may've required some 'clearancing/notching' at the bottoms of the cylinders to run the 400" crank (shoulders of the connecting rods 'kiss'

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
gunnersix8 said:
I just want to know if I can use it as a core for my new 350 crate engine....
GunnerSix8,

If you plan on trading this engine in on a crate engine, then just tell the guy it's a 350. I doubt he'll measure the stroke on it. Besides, if it really is a 327 with 4 bolt main caps, then your crankshaft will be more valuable to him than the 350 crank in the new motor. High performance 327 cranks (68 and earlier) are getting very rare and resoration buffs will often pay big money for the correct part.

Once you pull the front filler intake off it, there are no external clues that your core might be a 327. The front filler Intake is likely the original part from your car.

Also, check the head casting numbers, if they end in 041, then they are worth more than the core charge on the engine. 041 heads are the same as the old "Camel Hump" heads used on early fuel injected corvettes, only the 041's are drilled for accessory bracketts, making them worth a lot. These heads were used on 67 and 68 Vette's with the RPO L46 350HP engine.

Don't give away prime parts. Ebay 'em!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked it out, and its a 327 from a 62 fullsize. But thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

·
I use man gel
4,402 Posts
Re: Re: 327 or 350 or ?

moore_rb said:
GunnerSix8,

Also, check the head casting numbers, if they end in 041, then they are worth more than the core charge on the engine. 041 heads are the same as the old "Camel Hump" heads used on early fuel injected corvettes, only the 041's are drilled for accessory bracketts, making them worth a lot. These heads were used on 67 and 68 Vette's with the RPO L46 350HP engine.

so what would 041X heads go for?

I've got a pair waiting to go on my 70 LT1 :whip:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I sold a used, non-rebuilt pair three years ago for $500 to a guy that was doing a restoration on a 69 coupe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts