Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how fast a c3 is with 330-350 hp and with 400 plus i was thinking mid fourteens in the quarter with the 330 and mid thirteens with the 400hp engine. (I have been looking at crate engines) oh yeah the 330 hp engine has 390 tq and the 400 has 450 tq. I know I would probably need a better stall converter and a better rear end as they are both stock thanks! Also with the 330 hp motor, some decent headers and aforementioned converter rear combo is it possible to see mid thirteens?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have one of those power-speed calculators, kind of like an old slide-rule type thing. The following is strictly from this calculator, which basically is just taking a HP figure and a weight and converting that into a 1/4 mile time and speed.

I used a 3600 lbs weight (car and driver). At 350HP, the result is a 12.95 at 105. 400HP yeilds a 12.45 at 109.5. With 450HP, the car would do a 12.03 at 114mph. This obviously is just a general calculator that must make a bunch of assumptions on traction and other things to produce an answer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? of course that doesnt take into account traction, driver, temperature, atmosphere conditions and the rotation of the earth lol jk but that seems really quick. I guess its not too far off my 94 with 315-330 hp would do low to mid 13's thanks so much just wanted to know how far off I was.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
really? of course that doesnt take into account traction, driver, temperature, atmosphere conditions and the rotation of the earth lol jk but that seems really quick. I guess its not too far off my 94 with 315-330 hp would do low to mid 13's thanks so much just wanted to know how far off I was.
I'm an engineer and try to qualify my answers. No disrespect to you, but I have no idea if you're 7 years old or 77. I just didn't want to give the impression that the answers this calculator gives are cast in concrete or that I believe they are.

There must be some other on-line sources of information for power versus 1/4 mile times that are more realistic.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sorry I meant no disrespect at all, I was just saying that I know there are a lot of variables when trying to give a definite answer, best answer is to go to the track and find out for myself. I just figured that I didnt want to put in an engine and then be disappointed. Thank you for your response I did appreciate it, I am actually 23 and this is my 2nd corvette after two firebirds so I am not exactly new to all of this but still have so much to learn. with what you said Im pretty sure I would be pleased with the first engine even if not its still a 350 and I can always upgrade it. I was just looking to see if anyone has had a car like that and what they have run in 1/4 mile 0-60 etc thanks again!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Im sorry I meant no disrespect at all, I was just saying that I know there are a lot of variables when trying to give a definite answer, best answer is to go to the track and find out for myself. I just figured that I didnt want to put in an engine and then be disappointed. Thank you for your response I did appreciate it, I am actually 23 and this is my 2nd corvette after two firebirds so I am not exactly new to all of this but still have so much to learn. with what you said Im pretty sure I would be pleased with the first engine even if not its still a 350 and I can always upgrade it. I was just looking to see if anyone has had a car like that and what they have run in 1/4 mile 0-60 etc thanks again!
No problemo at all. I just wanted to be clear that I was just presenting some data that was generated using assumptions that are unknowns. It would be better if they gave an idea of what the calculator was based on.

You are right, the best info would be from someone with a similar car and engine with some actual track time and consistent numbers. I also think the calculator is optimistic if we're talking flywheel horsepower.

If you're upgrading engines, you might want to think about a 383 for the torque increase.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I did think about that, basically the only difference is throwing in a 400 crank right?
Crazy,

As you know, torque is what you feel in the seat of your pants and the longer stroke will give you more torque. Besides the 400 crank, you would need new pistons too, ones with a higher pin boss location to compensate for the increased stroke.

I'm in the middle of a 468 engine build that has snowballed from a relatively cheap replacement engine to something that will have a lot of power and we are doing a lot of extra work and buying parts that we wouldn't be doing if I had everything set in my mind from the get-go. So my unsolicited advice is to think out down the road and plan things first before buying anything.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I put down 340 to the wheeles and I havent even had a good run yet, but my best was 13.4 with missing third gear. I trapped 118 mph speed so I should be somewhere in the mid to low 12s with that number.

Just curious how fast a c3 is with 330-350 hp and with 400 plus i was thinking mid fourteens in the quarter with the 330 and mid thirteens with the 400hp engine. (I have been looking at crate engines) oh yeah the 330 hp engine has 390 tq and the 400 has 450 tq. I know I would probably need a better stall converter and a better rear end as they are both stock thanks! Also with the 330 hp motor, some decent headers and aforementioned converter rear combo is it possible to see mid thirteens?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts