Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you used the #SUM-150100 bare block from Summit to build their 383? Any opinions? Thoughts? Anecdotes? Amusing recollections? Dirty pictures of their significant others?:laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
not sure how pricing is now-- but a few years ago once I check jegs, summit and PAW.. it was cheaper for me to pick up a block locally and have it rebuilt.

shipping made the big difference. Plus a local speed shop gave me a 1 year warranty on a hi-po block and heads for free.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how pricing is now-- but a few years ago once I check jegs, summit and PAW.. it was cheaper for me to pick up a block locally and have it rebuilt.

shipping made the big difference. Plus a local speed shop gave me a 1 year warranty on a hi-po block and heads for free.
That's sort of my problem. No local source for a block. I'd really like to keep my original motor original. The machine shop that has my block now can provide aftermarket blocks, but I've already spent the bucks on one piece rear main seal forged crank. Shipping is going to kill me, but the $652 price seems good if it is really ready to screw together as is.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow you just don't stop do you. Go for a 454 LSX block and a big turbo.:laughing:
Steve, It's a long and ugly story! As for the 454 LSX and big turbo, I'll wait until I move to Lakeland and the two of us can do it as project.:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
i've decided to sell my 385 that i started building.

350 4 bolt main one piece rear block
bored 30
scat rotating assembly flat top pistons -5cc
comp cams 280xfi cam
cloyes single roller adj. timing set (cam has been degreed in and used a single roller because i needed to use the l31 timing cover)
moroso HV oil pump, moroso 7 quart low-pro pan
new LS roller lifters
dogbones and springplate installed.
oil filter adapter installed
chrome fuel pump blockoff installed
plastic timing cover from l31 installed.
windage tray installed

block was machined and rotating assembly was installed by the engine store out of MN.

PM if you might be interested.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have any of you used the #SUM-150100 bare block from Summit to build their 383? Any opinions? Thoughts? Anecdotes? Amusing recollections? Dirty pictures of their significant others?:laughing:

I built mine with a summit block. Everything checked out fine with my machine shop, but the deck height was at the minimum (9.013) that was listed in the specs. It was a close fit, but I went with a piston/rod combo that installed at 9.01.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was looking at that block but I found that my machine shop had a core block in the back when they magnafluxed it there was a crack. They found me another block and machined everything exactly like I wanted. My total at the machine shop was about 1450 but that included the main and rod bearings so they could double check all clearances also checking my rods and sizing them even though they were brand new. Also they decked the block to 9.015 and balanced everything I brought in the flexplate and balancer they took some material off the crank cwt and clearanced the block for the stroker. I feel like I got a good deal also included were the little things like the keys other bits and pieces and arp main bolts.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've decided to sell my 385 that i started building.

350 4 bolt main one piece rear block
bored 30
scat rotating assembly flat top pistons -5cc
comp cams 280xfi cam
cloyes single roller adj. timing set (cam has been degreed in and used a single roller because i needed to use the l31 timing cover)
moroso HV oil pump, moroso 7 quart low-pro pan
new LS roller lifters
dogbones and springplate installed.
oil filter adapter installed
chrome fuel pump blockoff installed
plastic timing cover from l31 installed.
windage tray installed

block was machined and rotating assembly was installed by the engine store out of MN.

PM if you might be interested.
Thanks, But I already invested heavily in stroker parts, so buying a complete motor, let alone shipping it to England is out of the question.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I built mine with a summit block. Everything checked out fine with my machine shop, but the deck height was at the minimum (9.013) that was listed in the specs. It was a close fit, but I went with a piston/rod combo that installed at 9.01.
If you are talking the same SUM-150100, then that sounds promising. With my pistons and the quench I'm looking for, a zero deck would be even better, but 9.013 would be good.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I will see my builder on Saturday. I'll ask him if he has already had time to measure my Summit block and how it looks through his professional eyes.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will see my builder on Saturday. I'll ask him if he has already had time to measure my Summit block and how it looks through his professional eyes.
Walde, Did you get this 150100 block? A report from your machinist would be great, but I've already ordered the block, so I hope it's all good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, as long as that is good quality machined then that's what we will use. He had ordered three pcs and I took one of them.

In case I see the block in person while dropping off some parts I will snap some photos on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, as long as that is good quality machined then that's what we will use. He had ordered three pcs and I took one of them.

In case I see the block in person while dropping off some parts I will snap some photos on Saturday.
Many thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
According to my builder the Summit block looks quite nice and very clean - no foreign stuff in water jacket etc. Must have been tanked or something properly.

He hasn't had time to measure anything yet but first impression has been very good.

Note to myself: replace main cap bolts with ARP.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to my builder the Summit block looks quite nice and very clean - no foreign stuff in water jacket etc. Must have been tanked or something properly.

He hasn't had time to measure anything yet but first impression has been very good.

Note to myself: replace main cap bolts with ARP.

Good info, Walde. Very nice. Thanks much. My block is at the airport in Chicago. The flight departs tonight and arrives in Scotland tomorrow. I hope to be able to pick it up on Tuesday.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good Gawd you guys! MY EYES! Its like walking into a old book and magazine shop and glancing over an early 60's playboy mag! The women just don't look as hot then as they do now!

LSX are the new Hot chicks! And even cost alot less than women do! :laughing:

·
Registered
267 Posts
so i'll go for this LS9...:rolling::rolling::rolling:
...dear Katie...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts