Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on a good 383 stoker kit, primary for street...building a 85 L98 seized.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
ChiMan said:
Any recommendations on a good 383 stoker kit, primary for street...building a 85 L98 seized.
Did you find out why it was seized yet? BTW I will find the seals for your trans tonight.. I hope that the trans from the wrecked 85 is still good..
-Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spun multiple bearings...so much for the person claiming "running"...oh well, such is life.

This is what I picked up in a "kit" consisting of:

SILVOLITE CLAIMER PISTONS H3426
HASTINGS MOLY RINGS 2M139
CLEVITE ROD BEARINGS CB663P
CLEVITE MAIN BEARINGS MS909P
MELLING HI-VOLUME OIL PUMP M55HV
FEL-PRO PERFORMANCE GASKET SET 92600
PBM PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT 290/300 222/231 .468 .480 110 LOBE
PBM PERFORMANCE LIFTER HA817
DURA-BOND CAM BEARINGS CH8
PIONEER BRASS EXPANSION PLUG PE100B
PBM PERFORMANCE DOUBLE ROW 3 KEYWAY TIMING SET 700
PBM PERFORMANCE HYDRAULIC VALVE SPRINGS 3000 (1.250 OD 110#@1.700 300#@1.250 .500 LIFT)
PBM PERFORMANCE CHROME MOLY RETAINERS 501S
PBM PERFORMANCE 7 DEGREE HD KEEPERS
PBM PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT 3.750 STROKE 2 PIECE SEAL

I am not a racer, just figured I'd build a 383 stoker...

Any opinions on the parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ChiMan said:
Spun multiple bearings...so much for the person claiming "running"...oh well, such is life.

This is what I picked up in a "kit" consisting of:

SILVOLITE CLAIMER PISTONS H3426
HASTINGS MOLY RINGS 2M139
CLEVITE ROD BEARINGS CB663P
CLEVITE MAIN BEARINGS MS909P
MELLING HI-VOLUME OIL PUMP M55HV
FEL-PRO PERFORMANCE GASKET SET 92600
PBM PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT 290/300 222/231 .468 .480 110 LOBE
PBM PERFORMANCE LIFTER HA817
DURA-BOND CAM BEARINGS CH8
PIONEER BRASS EXPANSION PLUG PE100B
PBM PERFORMANCE DOUBLE ROW 3 KEYWAY TIMING SET 700
PBM PERFORMANCE HYDRAULIC VALVE SPRINGS 3000 (1.250 OD 110#@1.700 300#@1.250 .500 LIFT)
PBM PERFORMANCE CHROME MOLY RETAINERS 501S
PBM PERFORMANCE 7 DEGREE HD KEEPERS
PBM PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT 3.750 STROKE 2 PIECE SEAL

I am not a racer, just figured I'd build a 383 stoker...

Any opinions on the parts?
Did you spin the brg. or just pound them out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rod bearings spun, the rest are fine...have not done anything with the block yet the parts should be here next week...

This is a spare engine, not pressed to get it done quickly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ChiMan said:
Rod bearings spun, the rest are fine...have not done anything with the block yet the parts should be here next week...

This is a spare engine, not pressed to get it done quickly...
are you doing this yourself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes going to do as much as I can and learn along the way...I don't have the $ to spend on the best of the best...5 kids with one very sick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ChiMan said:
Yes going to do as much as I can and learn along the way...I don't have the $ to spend on the best of the best...5 kids with one very sick
Ok i maybe telling you something you already know but I didn't see anything about new rods. If you "SPUN" the rod brg's you need at a min. to resize them. Better yet buy new. And are you sure no mains spun? Usually when you spin more than 1 rod brg. atleast 1 main goes too. there is just to much metal floating around after that. in witch case align bore would be in order too. Just so you know if you don't already there is a BIG differance between SPUN brgs. and wiped brgs. Ps.Sorry to hear about you child.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mains look ok, the engine was sitting in a recked car for 14 months, then they decided to try and crank it over, it ran for seconds until "they heard a bind" and shut it down. My guess is the pistons were seized/rusted. Just a guess, all cylinder walls look ok, car had 60k on it.

When I took the rods off, 4 had bad scratches, and 2 had pushed up against the sides and were L shaped...lol

I don't know what I am going to use for rods yet...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ChiMan said:
The mains look ok, the engine was sitting in a recked car for 14 months, then they decided to try and crank it over, it ran for seconds until "they heard a bind" and shut it down. My guess is the pistons were seized/rusted. Just a guess, all cylinder walls look ok, car had 60k on it.

When I took the rods off, 4 had bad scratches, and 2 had pushed up against the sides and were L shaped...lol

I don't know what I am going to use for rods yet...
It sounds like you might have 2 pounded brgs. witch would have made the rod oval shaped,in that case min. resize but if your building a 383 you should get all new rod's. And where your kit does'nt come with them it can't be balanced either you should look at the site I gave you. the rotating assy. comes bal. you can pick your config. 5.7rod 6.0 rod (i'd go 6.0) with the setup you bought your going to have to bal. it $300.-$500 your better off getting an assy. ready to go. If you have a dig.camera I'd like to see pic of the brgs. rod and main. all the main and rod journals & seats. If do send pics. take closeup shots of the brg. tang on the bad ones
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll get some pictures this weekend and I looked at the mains again and they do look scraped or dis-colored in a few areas, kind of like if you were to sand them. I already have them out of the block.

As far as Rods I was going with 5.75, explain balancing...could the engine shop I am taking it to to have the cylinder work done do that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I don't know if they can bal. your crank, because I don't know the shop and type of equip. they have. But the crank, rods & pistons need to be bal. as an assy. the flywheel should be done too. Big scraches on the front of the brgs. are no big deal at this point it's the back that could be a problem. If a brg. spun that means it broke the tangs off and went around in it's seat. that is a whole diff. story from just wipped out crank and brgs. there is a lot more machine work to do. If you get me GOOD pics I can tell you alot about what happened and the damage to your stuff. but I'd still look at buying a balanced rotating assy. You can send the one your getting back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did get the kit in and will have the rotating assembly sent out and balanced, I feel I got a good deal with also all the parts except the rods, which I am getting quotes on. It even came with al that and a cam for 489.00 about 525.00 shipped.

My camera is down, but I'll get some pictures up...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top