Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got time to try this on my seats backs ..they were pretty rough ..more so than I knew, after getting them off they had been cracked and repaired in several spots by the PO ..so i put some of this stuff on them to see how well it covers flaws .. turned out good and it will match my console when Im done.

Im considering doing a lower panel to replace the door panel carpet on the 78 ..I hate those door panel styles ...gonna have to play with an old panel to try it out I think.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Im considering doing a lower panel to replace the door panel carpet on the 78 ..I hate those door panel styles ...gonna have to play with an old panel to try it out I think.
how hard was it to put on? did you heat gun it into the corners? i'm thinking of doing my entire dashboard and im only worried about the corners (i have REAL carbon fiber mat but that stuff's a PITA to put on curves and corners so i'm considering using this vinyl stuff instead lol)

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Dayum, that looks great!
Nice job.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how hard was it to put on? did you heat gun it into the corners? i'm thinking of doing my entire dashboard and im only worried about the corners (i have REAL carbon fiber mat but that stuff's a PITA to put on curves and corners so i'm considering using this vinyl stuff instead lol)
On these corners i didnt have to heat it at all .. but what i did do was play with some scrap on the deepest curves to see how it was going to behave ...I saw i could get it to form with no creases and without heating ..

I kept some crazy glue on hand and had to add a touch in one of the corners ...I think the issue was more what i was putting it on than the vinyl those things had been repainted 2x or more by the looks of it , so it was hard to get it super clean for the adhesive backing on the vinyl.

I'll keep any eye on it over night and if something wants to seperate ill glue it down ..the good thing about this stuff is it can be peeled back without worries of tearing it ..only draw back is on something like this it picks up alot of residue from the old paint and seems to not want to stick as good when re applied a few times.

As for a dash I havnt tried that but ive seens some videos of people putting it on some wild shapes with some heat..would probly take a little practice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the real stuff works reeeeeal good :thumbsup:

very nice

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks great:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Which of the products did you use to do the backs? Been thinking about doing my t-tops with this stuff and was wondering which of the vinyls you would recommend to do them.:cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Which of the products did you use to do the backs? Been thinking about doing my t-tops with this stuff and was wondering which of the vinyls you would recommend to do them.:cheers:
I used the black metro 3d vinyl i think its Metro restyling 's own brand at 2.99 a square foot and the ability to buy it in huge sheets, its about the cheapest ive found. the 3M dI-noc is a bit higher but metros prices are the best ive found on it as well.

Theres several different "brands" and colors available if you shop around on the net, ive seen everything from blue to pewter ..silver one place had 7 colors of the stuff and there seems to be small differences in the size of the pattern on some.

I would recommend getting samples first its dirt cheap to have an envelope full of them sent ..and dont be afraid to go with something cheap to start off this stuff peels off without damaging anything ..(at least from what I have used)..and theres a little bit of a learning curve to doing corners..so check out as many as you can then play with a couple feet of something cheap... then do it up the way you really want it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts