Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to buy a 4 inch L-88 hood. In 8 days I get my tax return and as soon as the weather permits the Corvette is going to paint and body and I'd like to have the hood so when I do the body work I can get a perfect fit and paint both hoods at the same time. Thanks:thumbsup: -Kyle

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason:thumbsup: I'll give them a shout as possibly next week It'll be goin to Arkansas:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's where I'm getting it from hands down:thumbsup: I trust both you and Jason and value y'alls opinions greatly:thumbsup: Found front and rear fiberglass bumpers for my bro's 74 and now he's wanting them badly:laughing: Thank-you both for the info:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Vanacor's L-88 5" hood:

And that's with ZERO work to get it to fit,(other than the normal adjustments)- right out of the box. The only thing I had to do was run a tap thru the hood latch mounts on the right side to clean out some fiberglass resin.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good to know that fitment is basically spot on:thumbsup: I'm painting both hoods at the same time as I'm going with the ZL-1 stripe and want both hoods to match so if things change I won't have to try and blend paint.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the 4 & 5 inch L-88 hoods how is the drivers view. Can you see over the hood. Just curious that's all.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My normal setting position puts my eye level nearly at the windshield header anyway so I really don't notice the hood. Can't see past the tops of the fenders over the nose even with a flat hood.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If someone could take a picture from the drivers seat of the windshield view of an 4 inch L-88 hood. I'm looking for how it would look while driving. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I am 5' 7" and the four inch hood was too tall for me to see when I wanted to take a right turn. I had to sit up just to see where I was going. A friend of mine has a 69 Vette with a 4 inch L-88 hood and that's what made me decide on the shorter hood for mine.

Here is the best pic (not at ride height) I could get of my 2 inch over stock L-88 hood since the Vette is still apart. This is from the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man for the picture:thumbsup: I'm 6' 3" so the 4 inch shouldn't restrict my view. I was getting different views so my choice of hood would be correct for me. Thanks again matchframe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't see my right headlight when it is up.. my only complaint..

no one has said it yet, but beware of shipping costs for a hood like that...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What does the shipping usually run? I know when I order it they will tell me but just a near estimate will suffice for now.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What does the shipping usually run? I know when I order it they will tell me but just a near estimate will suffice for now.

Mine came via FedEx freight for around $80.

I picked it up at the local freight hub.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If comes Fed Ex I'll have to find my hub even though Memphis is there world HQ. Hopefully it comes UPS cause my friend can save for it for me before they start deliveries at 5 a.m.. $80 freight isn't to bad as long as it doesn't run $120+. Thanks everyone for their input and comments:thumbsup: Y'all are my second family. By the way it's supposed to be nice where I live so hopefully this Friday or Saturday mine will be leaving to get a slick paint job. Thanks again everyone:thumbsup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
If someone could take a picture from the drivers seat of the windshield view of an 4 inch L-88 hood. I'm looking for how it would look while driving. Thanks:thumbsup:

Be sure and post photos, especially when the scoop is filled up!

BTW if you haven't ordered yet, tape a block of wood to your hood and get in the car. Body geometry is the most important variable to decide scoop height, and net postings don't provide that info. A person's height is only one part of the equation, it really is body geometry.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll be sure to take photos and also tape a block of wood to get some perspective on how it'll look like when I'm in the car.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts