Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of work (and throwing away valued junk), I can finally park my vette in my garage:thumbsup: My next step is to figure out what kind or style of lift to get to make working on the vette and other cars a little easier. I was set on getting a 4 poster but have not decided the manufacturer.
My concern with the 4 poster is how much extra room they take up. I do not want a 2 poster because I have seen vehicles come off them even with the most cautious mechanic. I have seen other lifts that uses a sissor action but only lift about 3 to 4 feet. Also with this design it might be hard to get at the exhaust system.
Should I just live with the extra room the 4 poster takes up? Thanks

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
I don't know how big your garage is but my dad has a 4 post lift in his and it isn't bad as far as room goes because when there isn't a car on it you can just walk on it and when there is a car on it you had to walk around the car anyway so it doesn't matter. It's nice to because you can put a car on it and one under it.

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80368

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...26/post/1197237/hl/lift/fromsearch/1/#1197237

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31025

read thru these

BTW I was also 100% plus sure I wanted a 4 post lift at FIRST, but after talking to dozens of corvette mechanics and realizing the advantages of a QUALITY two post lift (much better access to the drive train, suspension and wheels) I purchased a QUALITY TWO POST LIFT

http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-EFP/HD-12SS

this ALMOST was the lift in my garage

http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-EFP/HD-12SS

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Another consideration is height. if your rafters are less than 10 ft your not going to raise a car very far off the floor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
after having the kwik lift (which is a drive on low level lift) in my garage for the last 6 months, wish I had a 2 -post lift.

A drive on lift is good for somethings, and its true benefit is the security of it. With a drive on lift, wheel swaps, brake jobs, and suspension work a pain in the a$$, which is a big deal. with a 2-post you can easily access all parts of your car quickly. And to repeat myself, I REALLY REALLY wish I could fit a 2-post lift in my garage, if I could I would have one in a second.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a four post and a scissors lift, the four post makes life safe rand is easier on the knees and back. Mine is a target lift made in texas with Mexican labor. They will custom build anything, if they are still in business. You cannot drive a vette over the scissor and it is not "portable" It is a tripping hazard just lienig there on the floor. The 4 poster will take its toll on your head so buy plenty of swiming pool noodles and pad the hell out of it. You will need a tall garage and you will really want a door high enough to "roll" the damn thing out al least once a year. Mine does not clear the door and I have a gravel drive way. Your garage door will need to be a high lift door if you plan on opennig it witha car on the lift. The real issue is fitting it in the garage. Call Target Lifts they will work with you.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have 2 four posts. And I have found nothing that I can not do easily on them...

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
IF MONEYS TIGHT, (ISN,T IT ALWAYS) I used these for MANY YEARS before I could afford a lift and had a decent garage...
my shop had two 4 ton floor jacks and 6 of the 12 ton jack stands, 4 of these 12 ton jack stands makes access easy, and on sale they are $55 a pair, before I got a lift I used them almost constantly now that I have a lift I STILL USE THEM FREQUENTLY as theres little advantage to the lift at times simply because working under the car with a mechanics floor roller

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

4 OF THESE 12 TON JACK STANDS (above) are FAR SUPPERIOR to the more comon 3-6 ton versions, and on a LEVEL CONCRETE FLOOR provide excellent access, under a corvette for most work

a DECENT creeper unlike the one (below) is just as comfortable

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46087
{I welded up my own after the wheels on this one proved to be crappy, but the design is fine its just the casters that were crappy

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
If you go with the 4 post lift just get the lift jacks that are an option. You can jack the car up on the lift and do whatever. I swapped my rear end on dad's lift it was a breeze.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wish i could offer some technical advice, but all i can say is that i'm jealous over every lift that's posted in this thread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just measured the clg height in my garage. I have the type of building simular to raidmajic's Dad. I installed a 10 foot high door so even with the door open I will have approx 10' from the floor to the overhead. Almost 14' with the door closed. The door is 12 feet wide so a post lift with 8' wide from post to post shoiuld clear should I need to pull it out.
My C4 is just over 6 feet wide so I guess I should be looking for a lift that has at least 7' between the posts. Any recommendations on what the length should be?
As far as getting the tires up off the rails to do brake work. I have seen some of the lifts offer sliding jack trays for 100 buck or so. These would probably accomodate small hydraulic jacks then jackstands?
I know there are a lot of different lift designs out there. I am still looking for options and advice from you guys before I make the final choice.
I like willg1966's point about the four poster is easier on the knees and back. And grumpy always comes prepared. I went to all those sites and will be very helpful in the final decision. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raidmajic, what is the distance between the posts on your 4 poster? What is the length of the rails? Are you happy with this setup or do you wish you had went for a wider or longer size? Do you have any problems getting your vette or any other vehicle on? I have been looking at many 4 poster lifts and I believe I will be getting the BendPak. They basically offer two widths and two lengths. 7' 6" or 8' 11" between posts and 14' 6" or 16' 6" long rails. I will probably be getting the 14' 6" rails because this would maybe fit most cars and SUVs(?). But I am torn between the selection of the width. Loosing an extra 17' width in the garage may not be as bad as not being able to load a car because of being a few inches too narrow(?)
Tell me what ya think guys?? Thanks....

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Have this one:D Works fine for me

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Raidmajic, what is the distance between the posts on your 4 poster? What is the length of the rails? Are you happy with this setup or do you wish you had went for a wider or longer size? Do you have any problems getting your vette or any other vehicle on? I have been looking at many 4 poster lifts and I believe I will be getting the BendPak. They basically offer two widths and two lengths. 7' 6" or 8' 11" between posts and 14' 6" or 16' 6" long rails. I will probably be getting the 14' 6" rails because this would maybe fit most cars and SUVs(?). But I am torn between the selection of the width. Loosing an extra 17' width in the garage may not be as bad as not being able to load a car because of being a few inches too narrow(?)
It's my dad's lift and he lives across town so I can't measure it for you untill the weekend. Let me see if he can get those measurements for you. I love that lift and want to buy one myself but with that one 20 mins. away it's hard to want to spend the money to be honest. There are no issues putting cars on it the only one that takes some aim is his T-bucket but it has 20" rear tires.:D The bucket is W I D E in the rear and it still fits.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
The lift is 7' 8" between the posts and the ramps are 14'. The lift does a great job and I don't have any large vehicles so I don't have any problem getting on or off. The vette fits on there perfectly and the widest thing I have is my t-bucket and its 6' 10" at the rear wheels, so it just fits.

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
How hard is it to install a two post lift?
It took about two hours for two factory rep. guys to install, my 2 post lift, but then they were experianced and had the correct tools, but certainly under a day for a newbee if you have the instructions, a rented 1" hammer drill and a couple buddies to help measure and move and assemble parts.
keep in mind the minimum slab thickness and anchor torque readings must be up to spec.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts