Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 75 4 speed is a little difficult to shift at certain rpm's, up and down, and the shifter hits the shift plate bezel when I go to 3rd gear. the whole shifter set-up seems to be to far forward in the little hole provided by the console bezel (its not centered when in neutral. is it supposed to be?). Anyway, I've adjusted the linkage under the car about 3 times, and although its gotten alot better, it still isnt just right.

Is this a common problem? I think its just that the shifter is old and worn out, so it allows the linkage to kinda get hung somewhere in-between engaged and disengaged, causing it to be difficult to hit the next gear. What do yall think.

Oh, is there a better aftermarket shifter for my application?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The FIRST thing I did to mine was a Hurst shifter, the factory shifter was flat worn out!! It also looked it's age or I would have rebuilt it, I'm glad I changed it. Nice tight shift pattern, I don't move the whole concole forward when I grab 3rd anymore and it looks really nice!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, I found some, but I'm not sure what kind of transmission I have,. I assume its a muncie, but what code?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I got mine from ecklers, It looks like a Hurst shifter, White knob w/ black shift pattern. they have a stock looking shifter handle for an extra 100 bucks
There's a pic on their website part # A5833 Shifter
part #26836 stock-style handle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your stock shifter bolts to a mounting plate that bolts to the trans crossmember. A Hurst shifter bolts directly to the trans.

You have to use washers under the front mounting location to get the shifter centered in the bezel hole. If you have an AIM it shows pics of this.

When or if you take a shifter out, disassemble it and lube it. It will make a great difference.

Hope this helps.

Terry

·
Registered
34 Posts
One other thing you might check, and I had this problem. If the shifter console is sitting too high it can cause a problem with the handle hitting the shift plate console. Try loosening the shifter and parking brake console and pushing them down and/or forward. If they move, hold them down and tighten the screws holding them. By lowering the consoles you will give the shift handle more clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts