Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Will the new A4 C6 weighing in at 3245lbs and 400hp will run 12's @ 110mph?

• Yes and it will surprise quite a few "sportscar owners"

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No...automatics are better for cruising!

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet this new automatic C6 weighing in at 3245lbs and 400hp will run 12's @ over 110mph...maybe as high as 112mph...

What do you think?

Most C5 Automatics with air filter mod/tts powerloader and exhausts were running 12's @ around 110mph and that was with approximately 380 flywheel hp..

I think these automatic C6's might just show up quite a few stock six speed C5's..(not expertly driven of course)

Just shooting the breeze but the performance right out of the box might just surprise us..

Bigger tires too on the C6 A4 than most stock C5's too.

Maybe 12.4's? right out of the box?

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
I am shocked and very disappointed at the 3245 number. If this is the real weight, I think we should storm Hill's offices and lynch him. He promised a significantly lighter base C6 that would out perform the C5 Z06. I am very anxious to see the tests in the car rags. I don't see how a C6 with 5 less HP and more than 100 lbs heavier can out pull the Z06. Mybe it's there. Maybe the VVT provides the Tq and HP at a lower RPM? Mr. Hill, I am very concerned and I think I have a rope somewhere in my garage!

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Longtimer said:
I am shocked and very disappointed at the 3245 number. If this is the real weight, I think we should storm Hill's offices and lynch him. He promised a significantly lighter base C6 that would out perform the C5 Z06. I am very anxious to see the tests in the car rags. I don't see how a C6 with 5 less HP and more than 100 lbs heavier can out pull the Z06. Mybe it's there. Maybe the VVT provides the Tq and HP at a lower RPM? Mr. Hill, I am very concerned and I think I have a rope somewhere in my garage!
I'm sure we'll see a C5 Z06 vs. C6 shootout in one of the mags. It'll be an interesting read...

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Longtimer said:
Don't take life too serious, you'll never make it out alive. :D

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I doubt a 400hp C6 would hit 12.5, my guess is more like 12.8 or 12.9, don't forget the A4 will have a 3.15 gear vs the 3.42 in a Z06.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Far from being a great drag racer I ran my 370-380 hp C5 A4 with street tires at englishtown @ 12.8's @ 109.5mph. (Halltech airflilter/TTS programer)

I believe that the 400hp/400 lb/ft of torque in the C6 should run better than I did a few years back.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dalc5 said:
I think the Z06 will stomp the C6.:nuts:
I imagine a Z06 will eek out a comparision test with the coupe or convertible C6 so your right.. till the c6 Z06 hits.

Still the C6 is still a Vette worthy of the tradition.

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
BubbleHead said:
Don't take life too serious, you'll never make it out alive. :D
Much in life should be taken as a joke or a side step - NOT CORVETTES. The vette should be a serious performer and the engineer responsible for its development should be taking his job seriously too. I want to be guarded about my remarks in case the data we've seen is incorrect. However, a C6 weighing in at more than 3,200 lbs is a very serious problem for me, and IMO, does NOT reflect an improved model, just a different one.

We should NOT be talking about waiting for the C6 Z06 for performance improvements. 8 years in sports car years is a long time for no significant change in targa / vert performance. I hope we will not see a small step up in targa / vert performance, while the Z06 is treated to a leap in performance. Treating the targa / vert as second class performance members of the vette line will not be accepted well by many of us - especially if the Z06 jumps dramatically in price.

All of this is serious to me. Yah, you're probably right, it'll all kill me in the end - at least I won't be wearing tar and feathers, and I hope Mr. Hill avoids that fate too.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those that might be considering the 3250 curb weight as TOO HEAVY

I would say the 3250 curb weight is STILL WORLD CLASS. For a sportscar with all the Corvettes amenities..and 400hp and 400 lb/ft of torque.

Can anyone else mention any car in the market that can match that power to weight ratio? Can match that specific curb weight?

The viper weighs more at 80 grand...
The Ferrari 360 weighs?????? 3150? or something like that..and its torque levels are way below 400lb/ft...(and it costs 160 grand easy)
The Porsche 911 turbo weighs in ????
The Aston Martin weighs in ????
The Acura NSX weighs in???

I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but they are not lighter and if they happen to be a few pounds lighter than the coupe or vert.....its tens of thousands more expensive... and doesn't have the hp and TORQUE..

I suggest you not be so dissapointed.. in what GM has achieved with this car.

Of course in some ways I was hoping lighter weight too..so your not alone...

I believe as the materials go higher tech/higher cost..for lighter weight..it will be packaged in the following years more costly "higher performance " model.. (z06? )

As an owner of a Z06 C5... I bet this new C6 coupe kicks! @ss and takes no prisoners with many less compromises..

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
JBsZ0666 said:
For those that might be considering the 3250 curb weight as TOO HEAVY

I would say the 3250 curb weight is STILL WORLD CLASS. For a sportscar with all the Corvettes amenities..and 400hp and 400 lb/ft of torque.

Please don't misconstrue my comments - I am not bashing the C6. I am bashing an engineering group that makes no progress in the weight area in 8 years, despite moving to fixed lights and choping at least 5 inches off the car. The link provided by madvette shows the 50th Ann. Ed. weighs 3246. Why is it not reasonable to expect a weight under 3200 lbs? The C5 was / is already world class. Certainly we should expect the C6 to remain so and show improvement. The engine group did their job, but it appears (if we have the actual numbers) that those who oversee the weight of the entire package (certainly Mr. Hill) were asleep at the wheel.

As an owner of a Z06 C5... I bet this new C6 coupe kicks! @ss and takes no prisoners with many less compromises..
I would bet that the C6 Targa / Vert will perform respectably and will certainly kick some @sses, but will remain vulnerable to attack, even from below (ie;'stang as they push their HP up to expected 450 in the cobra) until, or if ever, the Al HF frame is made standard throughout the vette line.

Mr. Hill has (IMO) declared the coupe and the vette tourers, not high performance cars. Expect the Z06 to cost $68-70k. Hill will maintain a significant performance delta to keep a market for the Z06. Yes those cars you mentioned are considered world class. But we both know that many of the models they offer are just tourers that barely match some C4 performance levels, and can't touch those of the C5 Z06. Looks like Hill has decided to devide the vette line the same way. This saddens me.

Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so. I hate to see our icon segmented like this. I'm afraid a vette version of the Trailblazer might be next.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fwiw..I think maybe..the c6 has added a lot of luxury items and perfomance items that add weight. I could be wrong but I think when we consider that the GM team could hold the weight of the C6 coupe and convertible to the C5 level is pretty cool.

Bigger brakes..bigger tires..bigger engine..etc..start adding all this up and some of these items need to have a tendancy to add weight...

Maybe just holding the weight of the C6 to C5 world class levels..actually is quite an achievement..

(just shooting the breeze )

Good conversation I hope.

JB

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
JBsZ0666 said:
Fwiw..I think maybe..the c6 has added a lot of luxury items and perfomance items that add weight.
:agree:

I was reading where someone said it was good the HUD was going to be on the C6. I take that as it wasn't supposed to be there, but due to customer feedback they decided to keep it. I imagine they go through these forums as well to find out what we want and in the process of making everyone happy the weight wasn't what they originally had hoped for.

We don't know for sure yet if that 3250 is fact, do we?

On the subject of will it run mid 12's, I say it has a very good shot at it. That's curb weight anyway. Who's gonna run on a full tank when you're going for low e.t's?

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The hud is an exellent feature which I recently added to my 2001 Z06. I would like HUD tach to be multicolored for better clarity and recognition like a shift light for hot dogging it.

I heard the rumor that GM went with multicolored HUD on the C6 which I thought would be cool.

I never thought the hud was much of anything till I drove a buddy's car with it. Its pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
I could be wrong but I think when we consider that the GM team could hold the weight of the C6 coupe and convertible to the C5 level is pretty cool.

Bigger brakes..bigger tires..bigger engine..etc..start adding all this up and some of these items need to have a tendancy to add weight...

Maybe just holding the weight of the C6 to C5 world class levels..actually is quite an achievement..

JB [/B]

You might be right JB, but I don't think so. The bigger brakes might add a few lbs, but the bigger tires are on larger diameter rims. Any add'l rubber is offset by this exchange of Al wheel for tire. The engine appears to be essentially the same block, although one rumor suggested it would be similar to the BMW block which uses an Al and magnisium alloy that would have saved 30-50 lbs. Either way, the "larger" engine should be just a little lighter than the Gen III, unless everything I have read is wrong. The C5 had HUD, this should be a push or lighter, since this is an 6 or 8 yr newer system.

I guess that is my point ... every feature on the C6 is 6 to 8 years newer than when it was introduced on the C5. This is a very long time in technology life span. The only weight additions that I see are the NAV and the discs. Are we to believe that those two weigh the same or more than lopping 5" off the car and dropping the popups? ... and all else is a push?

Something smells to me. It's either the weight figures provided thusfar, or it's Mr. Hill's engineering group.

If you aren't getting better in every category, your stalled.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Longtimer

"Something smells to me. It's either the weight figures provided thusfar, or it's Mr. Hill's engineering group.

If you aren't getting better in every category, your stalled."

I hope your right longtimer although when your already the best in field sometimes improving the package...maintaining weight is not too bad....

Would be cool if they dropped the weight ..but that might at some point for the more expensive and more focused C6 Z06

1 - 20 of 25 Posts