Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car and driver test included the 400hp C6 Z51. This car bested the times from the new Audi R8 mid engine wonder (1.0 seconds . and the german supercar the porsche 911 Awd turbo (2.5 seconds) and lotus Exige S (0.9 seconds) and just 1.8 seconds slower than the race car like hero 911 GT3. C & D was somewhat disappointed with the GT3 times as they were somewhat slower than last years Viper srt/10 from last year too.

What do I really want to see?

I want to see the 436hp Z51 M6 and Z51 A6 do a track comparo...

I think those two are the hot tickets.

With no sticking clutch pedal the Z51 A6 gets my vote as the best performance bargin of the century. (Joking but you get my drift)

Of course the C6 Z06 rocks big time as it took top honors!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The actual times of the 400hp C6 vs the much heralded Porsche 911 Turbo are pretty impressive...and thats not even the new 2008 436hp version of the C6..

I would like to see 436 hp C6 Z51 A6 vs. M6.

Would make for a great cover too!

in fact I don't ever remember reading any indepth articles regarding the six speed paddle shifter and now its been improved even further..

I sure hope they wake up on that test comparision and do one..

·
Registered
65 Posts
i think with a good driver w/ the manual, i bet the mn6 will win, even though i know the a6 is fast too, but the mn6 will always have that nice kick to it.;)

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
The car and driver test included the 400hp C6 Z51. This car bested the times from the new Audi R8 mid engine wonder (1.0 seconds . and the german supercar the porsche 911 Awd turbo (2.5 seconds) and lotus Exige S (0.9 seconds) and just 1.8 seconds slower than the race car like hero 911 GT3. C & D was somewhat disappointed with the GT3 times as they were somewhat slower than last years Viper srt/10 from last year too.

What do I really want to see?

I want to see the 436hp Z51 M6 and Z51 A6 do a track comparo...

I think those two are the hot tickets.

With no sticking clutch pedal the Z51 A6 gets my vote as the best performance bargin of the century. (Joking but you get my drift)

Of course the C6 Z06 rocks big time as it took top honors!
Whoa, even with the improved A6 shift times, no way with the A6 deliver a better - or as good of a track time as the Mn6. Just not possible.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Whoa, even with the improved A6 shift times, no way with the A6 deliver a better - or as good of a track time as the Mn6. Just not possible.
:agree:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I say put em on the track and let them compete..

Lets answer this question for real and not suppose!

Chapparel's had automatics that kicked serious butt..and that was 40 years ago..

GM's new A6 with the 2.73 gearing and new programing might just do the trick and end the reign of Manual transmissions being supposedly the fastest around the track...

Stranger things have happened!

(sorry if I'm starting trouble but I really would like to see a magazine do a test between the two Z51 436hp models..

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
I say put em on the track and let them compete..

Lets answer this question for real and not suppose!

Chapparel's had automatics that kicked serious butt..and that was 40 years ago..

GM's new A6 with the 2.73 gearing and new programing might just do the trick and end the reign of Manual transmissions being supposedly the fastest around the track...

Stranger things have happened!

(sorry if I'm starting trouble but I really would like to see a magazine do a test between the two Z51 436hp models..

The Chapparel's kicked serious butt because of superior aerodynamics and the only dynamic spoiler on the track - which as you know mandated the auto. The air brake allowed the Chaps to go deeper into the curves than anything else on the track, before braking. This advantage more than offset the handicap of the Autos. The great torque curve provided by the big block based powerplants also helped.

The A6 is a fine transmission and is benefitting from continued refinement. However, do not confuse this tranny with those paddle shifted exoticars that are manuals at heart. The A6 at heart is the same tranny used in the Cads and other GM passenger cars. Tweeked by the Vette team, it is a fine compromise, that might come pretty close to the 0-60 manual times, but on a track, up and down shift lag times (yes even with the new refinements) will cost the auto time at each corner. The more turns in the track, the larger lead the 6M will enjoy.

However, if that A6 equipped LS3 has a peddle controlled, dynamic wing installed .... well then I'd have to bet on the A6. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The Chapparel's kicked serious butt because of superior aerodynamics and the only dynamic spoiler on the track - which as you know mandated the auto. The air brake allowed the Chaps to go deeper into the curves than anything else on the track, before braking. This advantage more than offset the handicap of the Autos. The great torque curve provided by the big block based powerplants also helped.
The variable pitch torque converter and lock up also helped the Chap. Keep in mind the Chaps used a two speed auto. Awesome cars, I saw the MKII run at sebring in 1966 my first year at the race.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The A6 is a fine transmission and is benefitting from continued refinement. However, do not confuse this tranny with those paddle shifted exoticars that are manuals at heart. The A6 at heart is the same tranny used in the Cads and other GM passenger cars. Tweeked by the Vette team, it is a fine compromise, that might come pretty close to the 0-60 manual times, but on a track, up and down shift lag times (yes even with the new refinements) will cost the auto time at each corner. The more turns in the track, the larger lead the 6M will enjoy.
Excellently stated.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts