Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
403ci Build – Well as expected things go, I never figured I would be this far into the engine, but when the bolts sheer off at the camshaft, many bad things go wrong. It could have been a lot worse but but pistons kissed valves and pushrods bent and things just weren’t right. I was torn. Do I “just” repair it, or do I do it right and replace many things with NEW and upgraded parts. I went the later route as any enthusiast would.

The build was not for peak power or drag numbers, as I won’t ever take my 05 C6 to the drag strip with this new power and a stock rear end. Not worth it, I much rather enjoy road racing courses so my build at that purpose to it.

Shortblock (403ci)
LS2 Aluminum shortblock, bored to 4.0005”
Scat 4340 Forged Crank 4.000” stroke
Scat Forged H-beam rods
Mahled Forged Pistons -4cc valve relief (flat top)
ARP bolts

Heads – LS2 243 Castings with Stage 2 work done by TEA. Intake 325cfm exhaust 262 cfm from a 225cc intake runner. Great work and turn around time here.

Head gasket – Cometic .045” thickness 4.030” bore.

Cam – 234/238 114+2 – EPS Lobes with Patrick G custom grind

FAST 46# injectors (after dyno were maxing out at about 80% so just about perfect as they could run much higher)

FAST102 ported by Spin

NW102mm Throttle body.

Halltech SuperBee CF112 with LS7 card style MAF & Beehive – Thanks Jim Hall for the pointers on this one fitting.

LS9x clutch kit from EastCoast Performance!! thanks to Mike Yeager with new Master, Slave and remote bleeder.

PFADT Poly bushings for Z51 sway bars and had the car lowered a bit on stock bolts as well. (May need a new 3 part air damn sooner than later)

As I only had them on for 4 days before it broke, also LG Pro 1 ¾ Headers WITH (I say this because I might have had a bit more power without not much but I hear some) cats.

Either way I knew it would be a drastic difference, and while I haven’t hit the magical 500rwhp mark yet, I figure with synthetic oil in there, a full break in to seat the rings properly and also no cats I could probably crack that mark.

With that said I hit SAE correct Dynojet HP of 488 with 479 tq. The dyno is uncorrected for that day so that’s why its 505.

The nice thing for me was at about 2500RPMs when he start the dyno, I had 400tq from the get go-which for me is really going to help on the RoadRace/HPDE situations where you need that power coming out of the turns. You use more of the power band than a drag peak power car would so it’s nice to have that much power down low. Also the 6.6L and 11.4 compression ratio helped the torque but that much low is nice.

He dyoned the car all the way up to 6900 RPMs it looked like. Probably won’t ever take it that high but nice to know its there every blue moon if I want.

I go back to MotorSport Ranch – Cresson, TX in February and will post up some video’s of my weekend there and also when I get my cords back ill get some idle video’s up and some of how it sounds and looks.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It looks like a fine build,

I bet it sounds nice too :devil:

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Nice build but why not go with after market heads like the TFS heads or another brand to make maximum use of the additional cubes?? You would have easily seen over 535rwhp! Of course you would have spent more versus your stage 2 head build. Good luck with your build...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying to keep things within a relative budget when i made the decision to send those off to TEA.

By the time it was all done i spent more than i expected anyway.

I "could" pay like 2x or more for heads, but right now ill stick with what i have.

Throw a synthetic oil in there and let the engine really break in and the rings set along with trying a dyno with no cats i might get closer to 500 SAE.

Either way ill have plenty of power for the road courses.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
403ci Build – Well as expected things go, I never figured I would be this far into the engine, but when the bolts sheer off at the camshaft, many bad things go wrong. It could have been a lot worse but but pistons kissed valves and pushrods bent and things just weren’t right. I was torn. Do I “just” repair it, or do I do it right and replace many things with NEW and upgraded parts. I went the later route as any enthusiast would.

The build was not for peak power or drag numbers, as I won’t ever take my 05 C6 to the drag strip with this new power and a stock rear end. Not worth it, I much rather enjoy road racing courses so my build at that purpose to it.

Shortblock (403ci)
LS2 Aluminum shortblock, bored to 4.0005”
Scat 4340 Forged Crank 4.000” stroke
Scat Forged H-beam rods
Mahled Forged Pistons -4cc valve relief (flat top)
ARP bolts

Heads – LS2 243 Castings with Stage 2 work done by TEA. Intake 325cfm exhaust 262 cfm from a 225cc intake runner. Great work and turn around time here.

Head gasket – Cometic .045” thickness 4.030” bore.

Cam – 234/238 114+2 – EPS Lobes with Patrick G custom grind

FAST 46# injectors (after dyno were maxing out at about 80% so just about perfect as they could run much higher)

FAST102 ported by Spin

NW102mm Throttle body.

Halltech SuperBee CF112 with LS7 card style MAF & Beehive – Thanks Jim Hall for the pointers on this one fitting.

LS9x clutch kit from ECS thanks to Mike Yeargerwith new Master, Slave and remote bleeder.

PFADT Poly bushings for Z51 sway bars and had the car lowered a bit on stock bolts as well. (May need a new 3 part air damn sooner than later)

As I only had them on for 4 days before it broke, also LG Pro 1 ¾ Headers WITH (I say this because I might have had a bit more power without not much but I hear some) cats.

Either way I knew it would be a drastic difference, and while I haven’t hit the magical 500rwhp mark yet, I figure with synthetic oil in there, a full break in to seat the rings properly and also no cats I could probably crack that mark.

With that said I hit SAE correct Dynojet HP of 488 with 479 tq. The dyno is uncorrected for that day so that’s why its 505.

The nice thing for me was at about 2500RPMs when he start the dyno, I had 400tq from the get go-which for me is really going to help on the RoadRace/HPDE situations where you need that power coming out of the turns. You use more of the power band than a drag peak power car would so it’s nice to have that much power down low. Also the 6.6L and 11.4 compression ratio helped the torque but that much low is nice.

He dyoned the car all the way up to 6900 RPMs it looked like. Probably won’t ever take it that high but nice to know its there every blue moon if I want.

I go back to MotorSport Ranch – Cresson, TX in February and will post up some video’s of my weekend there and also when I get my cords back ill get some idle video’s up and some of how it sounds and looks.
OP this might cause a little misunderstanding because you did not buy your clutch from ECS (East Coast Supercharging) run by Cris, Mike and Doug but instead you did from Eastcoast Performance Corvettes,( Mike Yeager )which is a completly different company.

·
Registered
383 Posts
OP this might cause a little misunderstanding because you did not buy your clutch from ECS (East Coast Supercharging) run by Cris, Mike and Doug but instead you did from Eastcoast Performance Corvettes,( Mike Yeager )which is a completly different company.
Finally, you make an intelligent, coherent, factual post

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Finally, you make an intelligent, coherent, factual post
You don't know me so don't pretend you do. I didn't get where I am because you believed what you want to believe, I am successfull in my field and I don't think its your business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts