Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that things are in the works I thought i might start a thread to track the progress of my build.

As of right now the Engine Block is has been received by the engine builder to build the forged 4.005x4.000" small block with Mahle Forged -4cc relief pistons, SCAT crank and rads and ARP bolts.

The Heads have been shipped to and received by TEA (Total Engine Airflow) to have thier Stage 2 CNC work and valve job done to them.

My local mechanic shop should recieve my LS9 clutch today which i got from Mike at EastCoast Performance. Thanks for the help there. Did the full package and new master along with his LS9 package.

Custom Camshaft has been ordered, 234/238 114+2 .602/.604 eith EPS lobes through Patrick G. Hopefully within about 3 weeks on the camshaft. Wanted this for reasonable daily driver and also road racing so a broad torque curve as well.

I got the FAST102 and had it ported and also a NW102MM Throttle Body to match it as well. I went ahead and got a matching intake as well to mate with the large Throttle Body. I did the Halltech CF112 SuperBee with BeeHive. This has the LS2 to LS7 MAF conversion with harness as well so just the card style MAF no big screen now.

Small Parts yet to purchase
LS7 lifters (the LS2 replacement)
ATI pulley 10% UD Part#917278
Pfadt Poly Bushings for Z51 Sways (i figured they may as well while they are down there).
PCV Catch Can, either Elite Engineering or CCA.
Stock LS2 timing cover and all the gaskets there. Thought about 2 piece but heard they can leak.
Katech C5R Timing Chain
Stock LS2 Head Gasket .051" 4.020"bore or depending on engine/piston deck height a .045" Cometic 4.030"bore.
New Pushrods (heard stock is better here so they bend and take the major brunt of any possible damaged, not hardened and mess up deeper internals more). So possibly just stock LS2 rods here.

Shooting for about 11.4 compresson ratio as i live in Texas and 93 octane is readily available. I doubt ill make the 500rwhp mark but getting to about 475rwhp+ mark I would be happy. 100 more HP and an engine with forged internals and room to grow and strong for the road racing that i plan to continue on doing ill be happy. I should get many pictures of the build.

I have a few of the post destruction after the camshaft bolts sheered off causing all of this. The pics may take a while since I can't ever upload them at work, but ill work on it.

PICS:
TEA Cylinder Heads on TOP

Bottom of Heads

TEA FLOW Numbers

FAST 102 Intake Manifold

FAST 102 Porting

NW 102MM Throttle Body to Match (proper new LS2 version no harness conversion needed)

FAST 46# Injectors

Halltech CF112 Intake with Filter to mate with the 102mm TB

LS9 Clutch Disc and Pressure Plate from Mike Yeager and EastCoast

Flywheel with Balance sheet

E2 Catch Can to help avoid oil in the new intake manifold

OLD Manifold with oil traces

E2 Tunnel Plate with Thermal Abs

C5R Timing chain to hold the Beast Together.

Here are a few pics of the ShortBlock progress, more to come...

And the only reason the block isn't done one of the Rod Bearings had a "void" in it and needed replaced due to the imperfection.

When the camshaft bolts sheer off and of course the valves lost thier timing pistons got kissed and a few pushrods got bend and the timing cover seemed to take the brunt of the damage (which is nice since its very minimal).

Problem is with Road Racing being my hobby I didn't want to repair the engine so I went all out with forged internals and the parts you see above.

Heres are pics of the damage.

When we still thought it was the timing chain that broke.

Then we got inside and found the real problem:

Camshaft Bolts sheered off at the front of the cam.

Which of course led to some damage...
Pistons Kissing valves:

Valve Dmg was minimal since i think the pushrods were what ended up bending when things collided. Probably helps it was a stock cam so the lift was also less than an aftermarket cam.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Goodluck with your build! I hope to be going through the same process soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Costly mishap. Was the cam stock, or could some bad replacement bolts made their way in there?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Friendly advice, take the LS7 lifters off the list and add the LS9 lifters, its replacable from stock and its stronger and better, I 've seen LS7 failed and caused major issue. My both built has LS9 lifters.
Best of luck with all those expensive parts and have fun.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Congrats some nice parts there. You definately will regreat buying that clutch I promise, especially if you do any track duty. Other than that you have a great selection. Good luck and keep us posted!:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couple questions

I have heard nothing but good things about the LS9 clutch. I am not going to drag race the car so i heard for a daily driver that would see maybe 10 track weekends for HPDEs/Road Race a year that it was a really good clutch that would hold my power and more. Did i miss something?

The LS7 lifters i heard decent things about. My only other thought was the MOREL lifters from a forum vendor i have spoken to as well. What is the part number for the LS9 lifters as i can't seem to find much on them?

The block should arrive assembled on Monday so hopefully the next 2 weeks should be rather exciting.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Definitely go with the MOREL lifters

Otherwise a very nice build

Have fun and keep us posted ! :thumbsup:

Bon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any one had any experience with LS7 lifters in a build or what you have used them for and how they have handled it. I mean the Z06 goes to 7000RPMs or more if people change the rev limiter (don't know as much on Z06 tuning).

Will these hold up to what I am looking to do?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The shortblock should arrive tomorrow. The build is to start Tues as that when the shop is free to start on it. They should have everything except the pushrods which they will measure during assembly.

I am getting so anxious and so very tired of driving my parents expedition. Its already going to be insanely faster than it was, much less a relative comparison from this expedition my old car an Acura TSX would be really fun to drive right now.

Now hopefully it can be smooth, usually isn't but i can cross my fingers.

I have a bet going with my friend ill have it before 2011. Hopefully I am right or I will be pissed my car took that long AND owe him an expensive dinner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the next 2 weeks should be interesting, i am going to visit it friday and take some pics of my own of the progress but the build is in the works. At this point I am so anxious I swear everyone is driving their vette around me just so i can see what i can get my hands on yet.

Oh well i guess, hopefully when its all done and when the car gives birth to its new engine ill go drive the crap out of it for a while and get all my 3 months of waiting out of my system.

Probably end up putting like 500 miles on it in a week.

Ill keep you guys updated. Getting closer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts