Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning to put a tri-power 383 in my '69, for some time, but more recently have been lending thoughts toward a 409. Any thoughts on doing this? Pros, Cons?? Anyone have any experience on how difficult it is to find a decent 409 and what to look out for with one, or power output to expect or that can be achieved with a 409?

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think it would be an interesting surprise to see that under the hood. It would make decent power. They are out there so finding one should'nt be too hard. You would have to make headers or you MIGHT get lucky and the Ex. manifolds would fit

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Bowtie 400ci blocks are everywhere

I might look into calling a shop that preps race blocks in your area

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If you are talking about a real 409 unless you have the love of the engine and money to do it it would be a lost cause in $ spent vs. performance given against a 383 or 400 build. It would look cool in there and be a conversation starter for sure but not real cost effective.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If you are talking about a real 409 unless you have the love of the engine and money to do it it would be a lost cause in $ spent vs. performance given against a 383 or 400 build. It would look cool in there and be a conversation starter for sure but not real cost effective.

:agree: I know a guy here locally that builds the 348 and 409 just because he loves them. Luckily he is rich.

A true numbers 409 would cost a lot more than a typical BBC to build, and they are heavy.

If what you want is WOW, then a 409 under the hood would be very cool to see.

Power to weight, there are better choices. Factor in cost, and there are a LOT of better choices.

Then add cost of modifications needed to actually put the 409 into a Vette, and you're going to be in way over your head.

Think long and hard about this before you dedicate large sums of money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I was referring to an old 409 (hopefully found in a junkyard and in good shape) to rebuild and modify, but I didn't know about them being more expensive than other options. I'll probably stick with the 383 in the end or go with an LS engine...not sure yet. I was just thinking about doing an engine that you don't see or here about being stuffed into a C3 too often. I was looking for cool factor I suppose.

Thanks for the input. It means a lot.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts

You've already got your own song. Go for it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
well it will fit but its a tall deck with a minimum 620 hp
and that is such a beautiful thing!!!:D ar ar ar ar (sorry, it's my best Tim the toolman Taylor grunt :laughing:)

Back on topic, I saw Edelbrock makes aluminum heads for the W motor if a block can be found it just might have potential and certainly be unique. You know how many 2nd and 3rd takes the car would get "is that a, naw, can't be, well I'll be" that would be worth it right there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
it is tight against the windshield wiper mechanicals and vacuum canister so the wipers are gone and the valve cover is too tight against the brake vacuum pump so it is being replaced with a smaller edition and an electric vacuum pump is being installed due to the radical cam that probably wont supply enough vacuum to operate it. Some bolts are being ground down a bit but its going to fit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts